Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Dell Optiplex 7020 - 4K monitors on Intel 4600 Integrated GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks - I think we might learn something here but not sure what.

It might also point to the fact the UEFI settings are not held in the upgradable BIOS but on the machines firmware, and therefore possible to have two machines with identical BIOS versions but with different default settings for a range of BIOS settings (some shown as editable entries in the BIOS but also other hidden ones which we or the factory might set using a special boot process).
I think our machines may have identical BIOS's but diferent UEFI settings.

The other setting is more likely to have other significant consequences - I think the config.plist needs fewer ticks once you have "Unlocked" whatever it is that the other setting unlocks

The BIOS dumping was a pain but educational
I've installed Windows and dumped the BIOS, followed the guide and looks like both variables are stored in the same place, they show identical as in the guide.

I have no idea why when reading it was showing a different result.

I'm attaching the BIOS dump, fbd and txt files.

Thanks!

Attachments

• TXT and BIOS files.zip
    4.4 MB · Views: 126
I went ahead and booted from the GRUB usb and I'm still getting the same results as before. What's going on here? O_O

Screenshot 2019-10-02 at 14.38.45.png

Okay I took the risk and made the changes and it worked, yay!

However my screen is 27 inches and I'm specifically missing the resolution I wanted (doing scalling) of 2560x1440. It's actually what I used to use on my laptop. Is it possible to add it?

Screenshot 2019-10-02 at 21.24.43.png

Is it possible to make add it?
Most people use SwitchResX or ResXtreme to make all the in between resolutions available. Give one of those a try.

Most people use SwitchResX or ResXtreme to make all the in between resolutions available. Give one of those a try.
Okay so I'm able to select it, but it's the 1x. I can't find a way to put it in HiDPI or 2x :(

EDIT: Like this (this is my laptop)
Screenshot 2019-10-02 at 21.46.54.png

Screenshot 2019-10-02 at 21.47.18.png

@bluepr0 I dont think I can help much just to say that the 1920x1080 at double res was the only res apart from full 4k that I tried and it worked as expected without any other uilities and Ive never used switchres

Thanks - I think we might learn something here but not sure what.

It might also point to the fact the UEFI settings are not held in the upgradable BIOS but on the machines firmware, and therefore possible to have two machines with identical BIOS versions but with different default settings for a range of BIOS settings (some shown as editable entries in the BIOS but also other hidden ones which we or the factory might set using a special boot process).
I think our machines may have identical BIOS's but diferent UEFI settings.

I know very little about the technical side of this, but when we buy Dell machines (for a corporate) we have the option to have most of the settings for our specific environment set default from the factory, so when you image the machines nothing really needs to be set, I guess that's achieved via this somehow, cause yeh we def don't get custom bios or anything like that.

Many thanks to @trs96 who guides me to the thread.
My PC is 9020 SFF and I only have the internal GPU.
I tried to enable my 4K monitor with HD4600 for many days and didn't get it work.
So I post a message and @trs96 guides me to here.

@li3p Also many thanks to you . I followed your instructions and made it.
1. I change the two bios value via UEFI shell as you described in your post.
2. I replaced my config.plist with yours.

After that I reboot my PC, but it's still 2k resolution. So I compared your config.plist with the one uploaded by @trs96 in his post. I found the following line is not present in yours.
<key>ForceKextsToLoad</key>
<array/>
After I added that and reboot, 4K comes out. I am so happy.

BTW, I noticed that you have two 4K monitor works together. I also have another monitor with 1080p resolution at max, which only have HDMI port; so I use a DP to HDMI adapter cable to connect to the 1080p monitor. But it seems that it doesn't work. When I plugin the 1080p monitor, my PC will reboot or hang. Could you please give some hint how to resolve it? Thank you very much.

Sorry for replying late, I tested on pure DP cable and DP to DVMI cable, only pure DP cable can work. So I think HDMI may be the same situation.

@li3p Thanks for getting the first of these working. I have 2 4k monitors working beautifully following your instructions. There are other issues with these machines which may impact HDMI working and those who have tried HDMI have reported problems (and never 4k resolution) but the details of what sorts of hdmi setups work are vague and I have not tried to find out.
It seems the default settings are not dependent on the bios and machines can have different uefi settings independent of bios version. And as you say the default for cfg lock is 1 but mine and others had it set to 2 - which is not an option in the valid options list!
The biggest issue to making these perfect is finding a way to turn off "Enable Legacy Roms" and if you have any ideas about that...

Thank you again, your first post was a great step forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back