Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Dell Optiplex 7020 - 4K monitors on Intel 4600 Integrated GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read up a bit on Framebuffer patching and it seems that Framebuffer patching isnt going to help with getting hdmi devices to work well with this PC's Display ports. A very readable guide - General Framebuffer Patching Guide (HDMI Black Screen Problem) it describes how and why you properly describe your video connectors to work with OSX - But ours are currently described correctly but just dont play nicely with HDMI adapters or devices. It may be possible to find a practical method in software (but I doubt it) and suspect that if there is a simple solution, it will be in a fancy cable or external converter.

Last edited:
From Jaymonkeys guide on Lulu and its plugins under High DPI Displays & Dual Monitors saw this ;

I also recommend increasing the IGPU's VRAM from the default value of 1536MB to the 2048MB maximum, which can also help if your IGPU is driving dual 1080P displays. If you already have the property <key> framebuffer-patch-enable in the device properties section of your config.plist then you just need to add :-

<key>framebuffer-unifiedmem</key>
<data>
AAAAgA==
</data>

Tested and worked first time havnt really done anything other than check it reports 2048Mb in About this Mac.. all seems very fine and dandy. Any tests that might show a difference?

Added section on increasing video ram to 2 GB -
  • framebuffer-unifiedmem 0000 0080 DATA
    Screenshot 2019-09-03 at 16.53.08.png

but not only and also
  • -cdfon
    which
    allows for higher display resolutions and refresh rates on High-DPI display panels.

Tried out - but both my monitors work only at 60hz and noticed no difference.Screenshot 2019-09-03 at 17.03.20.png

Last edited:
Made a change to Azul framebuffer patching details on my machine where the instructions say -

"Name: AppleIntelFramebufferAzul
Find: 0300220D 00030303 00000002 00003001
Replace:
0300220D 00030303 00000004 00000003"

Ive changed the replace to:
0300220D 00030303 00000006 00000003

My reading of whats going on is, that sets DVMT to 96mb (2 being 32MB, 4=64mb, 6= 96MB
but my understanding is poor and whilst this is working with 6 I will ask for advice and report back.
Advice given - leave it on 4, couldnt see any difference between using it on 6 so switched back to 4.

Last edited:
Just tried dropping the 2nd UEFI firmware change and found the system works fine without it and working on the premise that the less Pre Allocated Memory used the better Ive dropped it and reverted 0x263 to 0x02, its original setting. Will alter post 1 after testing a bit.
Edit - Still works if you drop the 1st UEFi firmware change- reverted 0xDA2 to 0x02 and all is well. Seems we only need the Framebuffer Patch to get it to work - will be asking someone who has not made the UEFI firmware mod to try out, just in case you need to unlock to get it working but can then revert.

Last edited:
Today had reason to pull Cmos battery: on restart having set the BIOS settings correctly, the machine would boot loop, getting to the first apple logo and before the screen resize would restart. Reapplied the firmware edits rebooted and it worked. Seems that at least one of the edits (Almost certainly CFG Lock) is needed.

Received my 2nd 4k monitor (ordered 2415q like the first - they sent 2715q) all works as it should with dual 4k monitors.

Received my 2nd 4k monitor (ordered 2415q like the first - they sent 2715q) all works as it should with dual 4k monitors.
Sounds like you are completely sold on the 4K experience. Is there no going back to 1080p monitors ? Is this just short term for the testing ?

I will be keeping the monitors but they are probably going to end up on a Windows machine thats used for most of my work and gaming but yes Im sold on 4k - it's lovely to to read on and whilst I had a standard 1920x1200 and 4k on a single machine I couldnt stop moving windows to the 4k monitor before working on them - sitting next to each other makes the HD (which I was happy with) look fuzzy.

Some updates:
I tried to restore the CFG_LOCK (0xDA2) to its default value 0x0; and change DVMT-Prealloc (0x263) to 0x2 (64M);
and 4K still works well.

0xDA2 original value = 2
And I set it back to 2 and tried the same thing and it worked, but only for a little while and then I set it back to 0.
Be interested to see if yours does the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back