Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Dell Optiplex 7020 - 4K monitors on Intel 4600 Integrated GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
@xjzhang1979 Thank you for publishing your success. Others will be interested in this and we are still gathering information to integrate these changes into our current build instructions, so may I ask;
What BIOS version you used? and
What were the addresses (0x??) for the 2 offsets ('Cfg Lock' and 'DVMT') that you had to change?
Thanks
My BIOS version is the latest published on Dell's official website in July.
The two address are the same as described above: 0xDA2 and 0x263.

I'm not sure why adding that key would make 4K work but congrats on your success anyway. If you are going to use the config.plist in post #2 (which isn't mandatory) you should also disable all 4 of the USB port limit patches. Not good to leave them enabled longer term. Once you've got the USB SSDT in the correct folder and USBinjectall kext too they are not necessary.

View attachment 423363
Thank you for your suggestion. I'll disable them.

Had a feeling this was going to be frustrating!. I can't convert Extracted blocks of BIOS into text so that I can read them!. ifrextract isn't seeing the file, not really sure what to do. Read the threads linking to the other threads, but no go, won't convert to text. Can someone explain exactly and precisely how to use ifrextract, I'm new at this, I need help!.

I stuck with the programs on Li3p post and got the Mac programs to do all the work. I didn't extract the Dell bios from the .exe but dumped it from the pc. Will have sometime this lunchtime and will get it clearer then.

My BIOS version is the latest published on Dell's official website in July.
Thanks. I think that means you have A25, when you next view the bios would you check and confirm?
Re your second monitor - Tried with my system and it seems not to have the same problem, would you use the tool found here to create a set of problem reporting files for your machine and then post them on here.

Last edited:
I stuck with the programs on Li3p post and got the Mac programs to do all the work. I didn't extract the Dell bios from the .exe but dumped it from the pc. Will have sometime this lunchtime and will get it clearer then.
Thanks @nicksoph. I too used those programs recommended by @li3p. I pulled the BIOS from windows, saved the file and went to macOS. I don’t understand how iftextract works with terminal though. I’m following the commands for converting the extracted blocks to txt files. But I don’t get anything, it either can’t find the file or says it’s a bad command. So I’m obviously doing something wrong in terminal but I don’t know what.

What file extension do the files have? I have a file that's a ROM image (which I cant remebr how I dumped) that can get loaded by UEFI tools - sorry if that's not very useful - snatching a couple of mins here and there as I go. I suspect we know the info we need without you doing this dump but Im loathed to recommend it because poking bytes into UEFI memory locations is not something to be done with doubts and I think we should publish a method of getting the data (even if we later publish them for each rom).

Last edited:
I have a file that's a ROM image (which I cant remebr how I dumped) that can get loaded by UEFI tools - sorry if that's not very useful - snatching a couple of mins here and there as I go.
No problem @nicksoph. I’ve gone back to Windows to try and convert it. The 1st thing I did was download the tools mentioned in post 1 & 2. I used BIOS_Backup_TooKit to extract and save a copy of the ROM, which is called DellInc.-A25.rom. I then opened the rom file in UEFITool and searched for CFG Lock, found that and extracted it and saved it. I just can't convert into text, I don't know if I'm writing the command correctly!.

Capture.PNG

You are very close. Right click on P32 image section and select extract, not work? maybe copy files over and try on mac. I know that one of the windows files need renaming for it to work "something _1.0_win.exe" to "something.exe" but I think thats earlier in the process.

Just looked agin and can see you are past the point I thought you were and seem to be stuck on
"The output file is like Section_PE32_image_Setup_Setup_body.efi, use IFR-Extractor and command
./ifrextract Section_PE32_image_Setup_Setup_body.efi Section_PE32_image_Setup_Setup_body.txt
to convert it into text file."

This command will work if the files are all called correctly;
ifrextract and the file should all be in the same directory
and the command is designed to work with the format

./Ifrextract Name_Of_File_As_It_Is_Currently Name_Of_Text_File

Last edited:
You are very close. Right click on P32 image section and select extract, not work? maybe copy files over and try on mac. I know that one of the windows files need renaming for it to work "something _1.0_win.exe" to "something.exe" but I think thats earlier in the process
Yes I have the saved file extracted from right clicking on the P32 image section, a file called Section_PE32_image_Setup_SetupPrep_body.efi. The problem I'm having is with this line on GitHub from post 1, JimLee1996/Hackintosh_OptiPlex_9020
Capture.PNG

This doesn't work!. I have tried it in Windows, nothing. Tried the exact same thing in macOS, nothing. Renamed it like in @iLikeHackintosh post, nothing. I'm stumped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back