Contribute
Register

Dell OptiPlex 5050 SFF i5-6500 8GB ddr4 500GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

I also had an RX 560 in an HP ProDesk 600 G2 SFF. It ran fine in there too.

The form factor of the case means nothing. The RX 560s are PCI-e bus powered.

Hi, I think it actually does matter. In post #42 the MT and the SFF are shown. The whole thread is about a Small Form Factor case.
The SFF will only accept low profile cards. I had outlined this in post #48.
The PSU in the SFF is usually a bit smaller compared to a MT. This means there are a couple of limits.

So basically the RX560 will only physically fit into the SFF if it is a single slot (the PCIe slot is in the wrong position for a double slot card, all double slot cards - i have seen - have the PCIe-connector on the "wrong" side), low profile (the SFF only allows low profile cards) card. My point was: I have not seen any RX560 in this format. I myself use a RX550, which is available in low profile single slot and works in a 9020 SFF (this computer would in theory also take a double slot card, but only in a 4lane connector, can't reach the 16 lanes with double slot).
Cheers
Stefan

Hi, I think it actually does matter. In post #42 the MT and the SFF are shown. The whole thread is about a Small Form Factor case.
The SFF will only accept low profile cards. I had outlined this in post #48.
The PSU in the SFF is usually a bit smaller compared to a MT. This means there are a couple of limits.

So basically the RX560 will only physically fit into the SFF if it is a single slot (the PCIe slot is in the wrong position for a double slot card, all double slot cards - i have seen - have the PCIe-connector on the "wrong" side), low profile (the SFF only allows low profile cards) card. My point was: I have not seen any RX560 in this format. I myself use a RX550, which is available in low profile single slot and works in a 9020 SFF (this computer would in theory also take a double slot card, but only in a 4lane connector, can't reach the 16 lanes with double slot).
Cheers
Stefan

Like I said, I used an RX 560 in an HP ProDesk 600 G2 SFF. Worked fine. No power supply issues. As far as I know, all PCI-e slots should provide 75W.

33227671_6276275852.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 7.27.33 PM.png

Source:https://books.google.com/books?id=b...CAsQAQ#v=onepage&q=pci-e standard 75w&f=false

I don't know what you mean by PCI-e connector on the wrong side.

I don't know how the slot is on your motherboard. If it's an open ended connector, you can use the x4 slot for video card. In the past, I've used a Dremel to cut a slot manually and it worked fine. Of course, it's also possible to Dremel the PCI-e connector on the video card, but that may cause problems if/when you want to use the card in an x16 slot. Cutting the PCI-e slot will not cause problems.

Opened PCI-E slot.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, guess this is getting slightly off topic now...
The card in the link is indeed a low profile card, but it is double slot.
What i meant by "wrong side" is the following:
The 3050 has like the 5050 one PCI-e x16 connector (this is the slot close to the PSU) and one VGA daughter board connector next to it on the CPU side.
My point was that a dual slot card would not fit as (in my opinion) all cards have the heat sink/fan in the side pointing towards the PSU. This means that the cards PCI-e connector need to be plugged in a position where on this board is only the "VGA-Daughter Board". if the card would be mirrored, it would fit and and the heat sink would point towards the CPU and block the VGA Daughter Board connector, but the 16 lanes connector would be useable. Anyway... since you are using this card, i must have been mistaken.
cheers

Hi, guess this is getting slightly off topic now...
The card in the link is indeed a low profile card, but it is double slot.
What i meant by "wrong side" is the following:
The 3050 has like the 5050 one PCI-e x16 connector (this is the slot close to the PSU) and one VGA daughter board connector next to it on the CPU side.
My point was that a dual slot card would not fit as (in my opinion) all cards have the heat sink/fan in the side pointing towards the PSU. This means that the cards PCI-e connector need to be plugged in a position where on this board is only the "VGA-Daughter Board". if the card would be mirrored, it would fit and and the heat sink would point towards the CPU and block the VGA Daughter Board connector, but the 16 lanes connector would be useable. Anyway... since you are using this card, i must have been mistaken.
cheers

If you need a half height, single slot card, you are probably limited to an AMD Wx4100 or Wx3100.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back