Contribute
Register

Dell Optiplex 380 on High Sierra : Best graphics card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell OptiPlex 380 vA07
CPU
E7500
Graphics
NVS 410
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
About a month ago, I pulled a Dell Optiplex 380 from the trash heap and decided to combine it with the remains of a 2008 iMac whose GPU had fried. The onboard video is too old to be supported so I just get SVGA (better than nothing, I guess). Going through other bits of spares, I found an Nvidia Quadro Pro 600 and gave that a go, but I just got blank screens or a kernel panic as soon as the main video kicked in unless I booted without any kernel extensions. I don't that's supported on High Sierra either. I'm sure the hardware is okay because it all worked on Debian Linux without touching anything.

I don't mind getting another card, but:
* I don't want to spend much money on this. I like getting stuff working from odds and ends lying around.
* The 380 has a half-height chassis, which means most modern graphics cards can't be physically installed, full stop, while older ones need to have different brackets fitted.
* All my work is audio production and programming; as long as I can see what I'm doing on screen and stuff works, I don't need anything fancy.

With that in mind, what's the best graphics card to get? I also have an ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT which my old (but faithful) 2008 Mac Pro 3.1 has been using since the previous card blew up a few years back, so it strikes me another Radeon would be the optimum solution.

Sorry for answering my own question but I found an Nvidia Quadro 410 on eBay for not much more than a round of drinks, which (according to the above thread) is supported out of the box.

Hi there, Just wondering if you could share your EFI folder and your current version of mac os?
Also, how is it working for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back