Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Updated March 2, 2020. This guide also works for Mojave.

This works on my two i3 Dell Optiplex 3020 SFF's, my i5 7020 SFF, and my i7 9020 MT.

Computer Preparation

Optional - Update BIOS to the latest Dell BIOS without using Windows

Download latest BIOS Update Utility .exe file from Dell

From http://www.freedos.org/download/ get the USB “Full” installer. The Lite disk image doesn’t leave enough space for the BIOS update file.

Use Etcher (https://etcher.io) to create a bootable USB drive with the FreeDOS image.

Copy the BIOS update .exe file to the bootable USB drive. Then eject the drive.

Start the computer and press F12 to load the one-time boot menu. The FreeDOS drive needs the Legacy Boot option to run. When FreeDOS boots to its installer, select the language. When asked “Do you want to proceed?”, select No - Return to DOS.

Type DIR to list the files. Type the BIOS Update Utility filename (e.g., O3020A17.exe) to run the BIOS Update Utility.

Create A Bootable USB Drive

Follow the Installation Guide through STEP 2: Create a Bootable USB Drive with UniBeast. Select UEFI Boot Mode.

Once the UniBeast has completed, use Clover Configurator to edit the config.plist file at EFI/CLOVER/config.plist.

In Clover Configurator SECTIONS left column:

Acpi: Find the section on Drop Tables. Click the + button and add BGRT.​

Cpu: Add 0x0306C0 to the Type field. (Don't use with Mojave)​

Devices: USB section: Check Inject and FixOwnership​

Save the file and quit Clover Configurator.

Copy Clover Configurator to the Bootable USB Drive.

Copy MultiBeast to the Bootable USB Drive. You will need this after the installation of macOS.

Eject the Bootable USB Drive. Select Eject All to also eject the EFI partition.

Starting the Installer

Put the Bootable USB Drive in one of the USB 2.0 ports. Start the computer and press F2 to enter the BIOS setup. Select Load Defaults and Exit to restart. Press F2 to enter setup again.

Under Settings->General->Boot Sequence, check that the Boot List option is set to UEFI.

Under Settings->General->Date/Time check that the date and time are close to current time in UTC.

Select Apply for any changes. Then select Exit to restart.

Press F12 to load the one-time boot menu. Use UEFI Boot and select the Bootable USB drive.

In Clover, select the External drive. The system should boot to the installer.

Use Disk Utility to erase the internal drive. Select the View menu in the upper left to Show All Devices. Select the Internal drive device and Erase it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with GUID Partition Map. Quit Disk Utility to return to the install menu.

Install macOS - It will start installing and after a few minutes it will reboot and continue installing. After another few minutes, it will restart again and come back to the Clover menu. This time, select the internal drive called Boot macOS Install from <DRIVE NAME>. The installation will continue to the Welcome screen. Do the standard macOS setup.

MultiBeast Setup

The system booted using Clover from the Bootable USB drive. Use MultiBeast to install Clover on the internal drive. In MultiBeast:

QuickStart - select UEFI Boot Mode

Drivers

Audio - select AppleALC​
Dell 3020: Network->Intel - select RealtekRTL8111 v2.2.2​
Dell 7020/9020: Network->Intel - select IntelMausiEthernet v2.4.0​

USB - select 7/8/9 Series USB Support (these Dells are series 8)​

Bootloaders - select UEFI

Customize - select Core Graphics Fixup AKA WhateverGreen

Build - select install.

Clover Configurator

Use Clover Configurator to make the same changes as before to config.plist in the EFI partition on the internal drive.

Use Clover Configurator to edit the config.plist file at EFI/CLOVER/config.plist (make sure it is the one on the internal drive).

Acpi: Patches - from List Of Patches add: change EHC1 to EH01, change EHC2 to EH02​

Cpu: Add 0x0306C0 to the Type field. (Don't use with Mojave)​

Devices: Audio section: Inject 13 (16 on 9020 MT for internal speaker)​

Shutdown the system and remove the Bootable USB drive. Start the system. It should boot to the login screen.

USB Fix

Use Hackintool and follow the instructions to fix the USB3 ports.

To Do

I have the reboot on wake from sleep issue still to solve. Instead I just disable sleep in the Energy Saver system preference panel.

Last edited:
Thank you, I couldn't start my installation due to I don't know how to patch Clover.

Edit: My Dell is a 3020 with an i5 4590 and 8 GB of RAM. Sorry my bad English

This works on the two i3 Dell Optiplex 3020's and one i5 7020 I have. I don't have a 9020, but it looks like it has the same chip set as the 7020.

Computer Preparation

Optional - Update BIOS to the latest Dell BIOS without using Windows

Download latest BIOS Update Utility .exe file from Dell

From http://www.freedos.org/download/ get the USB “Full” installer. The Lite disk image doesn’t leave enough space for the BIOS update file.

Use Etcher (https://etcher.io) to create a bootable USB drive with the FreeDOS image.

Copy the BIOS update .exe file to the bootable USB drive. Then eject the drive.

Start the computer and press F12 to load the one-time boot menu. The FreeDOS drive needs the Legacy Boot option to run. When FreeDOS boots to its installer, select the language. When asked “Do you want to proceed?”, select No - Return to DOS.

Type DIR to list the files. Type the BIOS Update Utility filename (e.g., O3020A17.exe) to run the BIOS Update Utility.

Create A Bootable USB Drive

Follow the Installation Guide through STEP 2: Create a Bootable USB Drive with UniBeast. Select UEFI Boot Mode.

Once the UniBeast has completed, use Clover Configurator to edit the config.plist file at EFI/CLOVER/config.plist.

Cpu: Add 0x0306C0 to the Type field.​

Copy Clover Configurator to the Bootable USB Drive.

Copy MultiBeast to the Bootable USB Drive. You will need this after the installation of macOS.

Download KextBeast and VoodooHDA.kext-2.9.1 or later. Also copy these files to the Bootable USB Drive.

Eject the Bootable USB Drive. Select Eject All to also eject the EFI partition.

Starting the Installer

Put the Bootable USB Drive in one of the USB 2.0 ports. Start the computer and press F2 to enter the BIOS setup. Select Load Defaults and Exit to restart. Press F2 to enter setup again.

Under Settings->General->Boot Sequence, check that the Boot List option is set to UEFI.

Under Settings->General->Date/Time check that the date and time are close to current time in UTC.

Select Apply for any changes. Then select Exit to restart.

Press F12 to load the one-time boot menu. Use UEFI Boot and select the Bootable USB drive.

In Clover, select the External drive. The system should boot to the installer.

Use Disk Utility to erase the internal drive. Select the View menu in the upper left to Show All Devices. Select the Internal drive device and Erase it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with GUID Partition Map. Quit Disk Utility to return to the install menu.

Install macOS - It will start installing and after a few minutes it will reboot and continue installing. After another few minutes, it will restart again and come back to the Clover menu. This time, select the internal drive called Boot macOS Install from <DRIVE NAME>. The installation will continue to the Welcome screen. Do the standard macOS setup.

MultiBeast Setup

The system booted using Clover from the Bootable USB drive. Use MultiBeast to install Clover on the internal drive. In MultiBeast:

QuickStart - select UEFI Boot Mode

Drivers

Dell 3020: Network->Intel - select RealtekRTL8111 v2.2.2

Dell 7020: Network->Intel - select IntelMausiEthernet v2.4.0​

USB - select 7/8/9 Series USB Support (these Dells are series 8)​

Bootloaders - select UEFI

Customize - select Intel Graphics Fixup

Build - select install.

Clover Configurator

Use Clover Configurator to make the same changes as before to config.plist in the EFI partition on the internal drive.

Use Clover Configurator to edit the config.plist file at EFI/CLOVER/config.plist (make sure it is the one on the internal drive).

Cpu: Add 0x0306C0 to the Type field.​

Sound

Copy KextBeast and VoodooHDA 2.9.1 kext file to the Desktop. Run KextBeast and install VoodooHDA to /Library/Extensions.

Shutdown the system and remove the Bootable USB drive. Start the system. It should boot to the login screen.

To Do

On my 7020, the USB3 ports don't work correctly with USB3 drives. I have the reboot on wake from sleep issue still to solve.

Can you please share you 3020/i3 4130 EFI? Thanks.

Hi I have an optiplex 7050 and Im stuck with the process... After Selecting boot macOS install MacOS High Sierra > it will show the apple logo for a bit and then reboots the computer. I have tried a few steps from this forum but no luck. I apologize for my poor knowledge with this as I am new to it. Hope you can point me to the right direction. Thanks!

At least I could in my case finish my install, I had 3 problems in my case:

1) I try to used my Intel HD 4600, for used this I need 2 things, this configuration additional in the Clover EFI Graphics config
- Inject EDID
- Inject Intel
- ig-platform-id: 0x0D220003

2) Due to I had used Intel Grapichs the VGA Output didn´t work, I used an DP - HDMI adaptador, I bought a DP - VGA adaptador but it hasn't arrived at least for next week

3) When I had my Hack ok, I created a second partition for Windows and the CLOVER EFI entire desapear from my UEFI start list, but I used this tutorial y now its everything OK (its in Spanish sorry)

https://tar.mx/archivo/2017/recuperar-entrada-a-clover-en-uefi.html

When I arrived at home I will edit this post and add my EFI files configuration. Its works for me with a Dell MT 3020 i5 4590

Hi I have an optiplex 7050 and Im stuck with the process... After Selecting boot macOS install MacOS High Sierra > it will show the apple logo for a bit and then reboots the computer. I have tried a few steps from this forum but no luck. I apologize for my poor knowledge with this as I am new to it. Hope you can point me to the right direction. Thanks!

What CPU are you using? I could try to modify my EFI for you and see if that helps

What CPU are you using? I could try to modify my EFI for you and see if that helps

Intel Core i5 (7th Gen) 7500T / 2.7 GHz.... Thanks!

These are the bios settings I use for the 3020. Without knowing the 7050 bios you could try to set yours the same as these

Under General

-Set Boot Sequence to UEFI

-Enable Legacy Option ROMs

Under System Configuration

-Set Integrated NIC to Enabled

-Set SATA Option to AHCI

-Set Audio\Enable Audio

Under Video

-Set Primary Display as Intel HD Graphics (NOT Auto)

Under Secure Boot

-Set Secure Boot Enable to Disabled

Under Performance

-Set MultiCore to All

-Set C-State Control to True

-Set Limit CPUI Value to False

-Set Intel TurboBoost to False

Under Virtualization Support

-Set Virtualization to Enabled

Try running the installer with the bootflag -v and post a screenshot here. Will help people to see what your problem is. Could you post your config.plist please

How do I run bootflag -v?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back