Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
IPSKL-SC
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX1080
Hello,

I have a desktop computer with no operating system. My goal is to install El Capitan and dedicate this machine to avid media composer (video editing).

I've run into some issues getting this to work, and I've tried troubleshooting to the best of my abilities. The main specs are:

IPSKL-SC motherboard
i7-6700k quad core
32GB DDR4
GTX1080 graphics cards (2)

The tutorials on this site are outstanding! But of course, for me, right out of the gate:
I am stuck with an Aptio BIOS with very limited controls. Therefore I cannot set the required parameters. It is an extremely limited interface.. the digital equivalent of white crayon on blue construction paper, compared to some of the screenshots I've seen on these forums.

After pouring over user builds and successes, it seems like this should be hackintoshable. In fact, when I boot from the USB, I can get to clover - but I get stuck on the logo/progress bar. But I have tried about a dozen variations from user posts on these forums, each with different results, none successful. These forums are great, but I've gone down the rabbit hole for a couple days now...

My hunch is that either a) I am missing something so utterly basic and simple that we will all point and laugh, and then I will get this sucker built, or b) it simply can't be done. But I find that so maddeningly improbable. It's probably the BIOS thing, right?

Any advice will be so greatly appreciated. Meantime I'm looking up if it's possible to change the BIOS from the terminal or perhaps even telepathically.

Best,
chro15matic

P.S. it might need a mention: this was originally a Dell Aurora R5 built for VR/gaming with some edition of Windows Death pre-installed. But the OS was gone before I got my hands on it. In case that is relevant here.

Hello,

I have a desktop computer with no operating system. My goal is to install El Capitan and dedicate this machine to avid media composer (video editing).

I've run into some issues getting this to work, and I've tried troubleshooting to the best of my abilities. The main specs are:

IPSKL-SC motherboard
i7-6700k quad core
32GB DDR4
GTX1080 graphics cards (2)

The tutorials on this site are outstanding! But of course, for me, right out of the gate:
I am stuck with an Aptio BIOS with very limited controls. Therefore I cannot set the required parameters. It is an extremely limited interface.. the digital equivalent of white crayon on blue construction paper, compared to some of the screenshots I've seen on these forums.

After pouring over user builds and successes, it seems like this should be hackintoshable. In fact, when I boot from the USB, I can get to clover - but I get stuck on the logo/progress bar. But I have tried about a dozen variations from user posts on these forums, each with different results, none successful. These forums are great, but I've gone down the rabbit hole for a couple days now...

My hunch is that either a) I am missing something so utterly basic and simple that we will all point and laugh, and then I will get this sucker built, or b) it simply can't be done. But I find that so maddeningly improbable. It's probably the BIOS thing, right?

Any advice will be so greatly appreciated. Meantime I'm looking up if it's possible to change the BIOS from the terminal or perhaps even telepathically.

Best,
chro15matic

P.S. it might need a mention: this was originally a Dell Aurora R5 built for VR/gaming with some edition of Windows Death pre-installed. But the OS was gone before I got my hands on it. In case that is relevant here.

You have 2 problems, as far as I can see :

(1) Your computer's BIOS does not have the necessary options to allow the installation of MacOS. This is vital. Lacking such options generally means that you won't be able to run MacOS on your computer.

(2) Your graphics cards are not supported under El Capitan as the necessary web drivers are only available for Sierra and High Sierra (and not even the latest Mojave).

The hardware may be "hackintoshable", but (1) will probably fail you.

I suggest you try to find a 100 or 200 series motherboard, and install your CPU / RAM / GPUs to it. You may have more success in this way.

You have 2 problems, as far as I can see :

(1) Your computer's BIOS does not have the necessary options to allow the installation of MacOS. This is vital. Lacking such options generally means that you won't be able to run MacOS on your computer.

(2) Your graphics cards are not supported under El Capitan as the necessary web drivers are only available for Sierra and High Sierra (and not even the latest Mojave).

The hardware may be "hackintoshable", but (1) will probably fail you.

I suggest you try to find a 100 or 200 series motherboard, and install your CPU / RAM / GPUs to it. You may have more success in this way.

Copy that. Thanks very much for the information and suggestion.

I can work with Sierra, so maybe I'll invest in the best possible motherboard I can find right now and take it from there. I mainly do vfx and editing, so it'd be worth forking over the money and put these parts to use. I'd love to have a dedicated machine.

Thanks again 007, much appreciated!

chro15matic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back