CPU
i9-9900
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My Dell Latitude E6410 (I7-620m, Nvidia NVS 3100m) won't sleep. Instead of sleeping, screen goes black, but system stays on. After attempted sleep, system won't wake, so only recovery is to force power-down with power button. Debug files are attached. My system is as follows:
  • Dell Latitude E6410 / BIOS A17 / I7-620m / Nvidia NVS 3100m / 8GB DDR3
  • MacOS: High Sierra 10.13.6 (APFS)
  • CLOVER (Legacy) R4961
  • MacModel 6,2 (LPCB._DSM.Name "pci8086,3b09")
  • Kexts: Lilu 1.3.6, VoodooHDA 2.9.2, AirportBrcmFixup 2.0.0, IntelMausiEthernet 2.4.1d1, ACPIBatteryManager 1.90.1, BrcmPatchRam2.kext, BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext, USBInjectAll
  • Wi-Fi: Broadcom BCM 94352HMB (with AirportBrcmFixup.kext)
What is NOT working:
  • Sleep (display goes blank, but power light stays on. System cannot wake and must be forced off with power button)
What is NOT tested:
  • SD Card Slot
  • Smartcard Reader
  • eSata
  • Display Port
  • Firewire Port (appears in Network settings, just haven't tried it)
  • Microphone Jack
  • PC Card Slot
  • Camera

What IS working:
  • Everything else not mentioned above.
  • Speedstep/CPUPowerManagement is perfect, system temps are low, CPU multiplier operates as expected, battery life is long
  • Shutdown is fast
  • Brightness (adjusted with brightness keys on keyboard) works perfectly
  • Battery Manager works (battery status is displayed in menu bar) simply by installing ACPIBatterManager.kext.
  • Wi-Fi (after changing to Broadcom BCM94352HMB and installing AirportBrcmFixup.kext)
  • Audio (volume adjustable, volume indicator appears in menu bar
  • Ethernet port (with IntelMausiEthernet.kext)
  • Broadcom BCM20702A0 Bluetooth (with BrcmPatchRam2.kext and BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext)
  • Optical Drive
  • External VGA (requires NVCAP injection that is different from default NVCAP)
  • Headphone jack

Attachments

• debug_19747.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Hi! I'm not enough savvy to analyze your logs and ioreg except for one thing: I don't see any mention of "sleep" in system.log, so I'd say the issue is even before attempting to sleep...
Is there anything usb connected when you attempt sleeping?
The big difference with my E6320 is your NVIDIA card, so I'd try booting with NVIDIA drivers disabled and see if sleep works — if display is not working without those drivers, I would try and pilot the laptop through screen sharing from another Mac.
I'm also surprised by the amount of files in /CLOVER/ACPI/origin — where I have none! —, but I suppose you know why every one of them is there and what they are doing...
The last thing that makes me wondering is that you have a 1st generation CPU, might be too old for High Sierra?

EDIT: at first, I discarded a bad version of FakeSMC, but considering your CPU, might worth trying an older version? For my Sandy Bridge desktop I have to stick to v6.17.1386.

@Nodarkthings - Very interesting observation about FakeSMC and I'll see if I can get it booting without Nvidia graphics. The /CLOVER/ACPI/origin files are just the Clover-F4 files. Thanks!

I noticed that AppleBusPowerController wasn't loading, so I followed Rehabmans's EC renaming advice in his USB power property guide (in this case, renaming Device (ECDV) to Device (EC). I haven't noticed any behavioral changes in the laptop, but AppleBusPowerController does load.

Last edited:
@Feartech helped me to resolve a potential USB issue (AAPL,clock-id and device_type did not appear in IORegistry for EHC1/EH01). I switched from my manual DSDT renames/fixes in my patched DSDT to CLOVER's on-the-fly renaming/fixing for USB. EH01's IORegistry entries now appear to be correct; however, the laptop still does not sleep (sleep behavior unchanged from that reported in Post #1). My updated debug files (reflecting the config.plist / DSDT changes) are attached to Post #1.

This is the first time I’ve read of someone actually identifying a potential root cause for the lack of sleep, so I’m excited. I’ll probably see if I can figure out how to apply RehabMan’s research to my E6510, but if anyone else hits paydirt on this, it would be great!

EDIT: It looks like this was an incorrect guess. Leaving the text below to keep history. I now believe (again) that sleep will be solved by adding discrete graphics _OFF and _ON methods. See my Post #13 in this thread.

I have been able to modify my DSDT to get close to a working sleep solution for the Latitude E6410. I now believe that the solution will combine a change to _PTS and a change in _EJD (Ejected Device notification). Search for _PTS and _EJD in my attached DSDT.aml and you will see what I mean. With these changes in the attached DSDT.aml, the USB device at EHC1.PRT1 generates the Ejected Device notification (not the device at EHC2.PRT3 which doesn't exist). The original DSDT has the _EJD notification in EHC2.PRT3 which doesn't have a device present and thus doesn't trigger an _EJD notification. With this change, the laptop shuts down on sleep. I feel that this is very close and I could use any help and advice. I suspect that SLPE should only be set to zero in _PTS for shutdown and that something else should be done for sleep. If I move Store (Zero, SLPE) back into the if condition (so that SLPE is only set to Zero on shutdown), the laptop does not shutdown (or sleep) when I attempt to put it to sleep, so something similar to Store (Zero, SLPE) is still required for sleep.

EDIT: As observed in Post #10, the DSDT changes mentioned in this post influence sleep behavior when my Latitude E6410 is running on battery power. When the laptop is plugged in to AC power, these DSDT changes do not influence sleep behavior.

Attachments

• DSDT.zip
    17.2 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
A new observation: the DSDT changes that I implemented in Post #9 (above) influence sleep behavior only when my Latitude E6410 is on battery power. When the laptop is plugged in to AC power, the DSDT patch doesn't change sleep behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back