Contribute
Register

Dell Latitude E6400 Mavericks , Installation Guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I'm trying to install Mavericks 10.9.5 using this method on a dell Latitude E6400 and I keep getting the error "BootCacheControl: Unable to open /var/db/BootCache.playlist: 2 no such file or directory". Can somebody please help me? There's a picture attached.

Attachments

• DSC_0367.jpg
    DSC_0367.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 209
Hello, I'm trying to install Mavericks 10.9.5 using this method on a dell Latitude E6400 and I keep getting the error "BootCacheControl: Unable to open /var/db/BootCache.playlist: 2 no such file or directory". Can somebody please help me? There's a picture attached.

It is not an error...

Please provide complete details in your profile/signature
(Profile/Settings link in upper right corner of this site)

System: manufacturer/model
CPU: detailed CPU model + motherboard chipset
Graphics: all graphics devices + laptop internal screen resolution

For example, typical Ivy laptop:
System: HP ProBook 4540s
CPU: i5-3320m/HM76
Graphics: HD4000, 1366x768

Use CPU-Z on Windows to find CPU (Core iX-xxx) and motherboard chipset (HMxx), and graphics capabilities. For a laptop, these details are important and affect critical installation procedures.

Okay done.

System: Dell Latitude E6400
CPU:
Core 2 Duo T9550/GM45
Graphics:
Intel mobile 4 integrated graphics, 1280x800

Okay done.

System: Dell Latitude E6400
CPU:
Core 2 Duo T9550/GM45
Graphics:
Intel mobile 4 integrated graphics, 1280x800

If your graphics are Intel GMA 4500MHD, you should be be aware that no version of OS X supports that graphics chip.

I started from scratch on my laptop (specs still in the signature) using these instructions and kexts as it looks like my machine is exactly the same as the OP i figured it should work. Problem is now it gives the unable to open line then hangs on the line mounted Macintosh HD. I've tried -v -x PCIRootUID=1 GraphicsEnabler=no/yes and npci=0x2000 (which I grabbed out of the config from the previous setup guide I used. anyone got any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_1086.jpg
    IMG_1086.jpg
    617.9 KB · Views: 178
I had to rewrite a large portion of the DSDT for my Dell Latitude E6400 to get everything working properly. After I got the system running smoothly, I maxed out the RAM to 8GB, upgraded the CPU to 4 cores, installed a SSD, and got it to boot with the Clover EFI in a triple boot configuration (Mac/Windows/Fedora). For the most part it's a fully functional Hackintosh.

There are a few small glitches that I haven't worked out completely, and they're totally random. I've got the Nvidia Graphics (Quadro NVS) working with full hardware acceleration, Clam Shell, Sleep, Shutdown (occasionally hangs on shutdown with a blank screen; rumored to be caused by FakeSMC), patched HD Audio (IDT 92HD71B7X), Dell 370 Bluetooth (Broadcom), Dell Wireless-N (Broadcom), Huawei 4G Modem (An added extra so that I always have internet), Firewire, Alps Touchpad (Partially functioning gestures but set to disable when I plug in a mouse), and the SD card reader is working. Apple dropped support for the ExpressCard in Mavericks, so I had to rolled-back the PCI kext from Mountain Lion to get my USB 3.0 ExpressCard to work properly. You might have to make some minor tweaks if you use my DSDT because my system is packet with hardware and you're probably using a different boot loader.

It took some time to figure out why the EHCI controller on the right side of the laptop would stop working when waking up from sleep or on boot. Also the IRQs for the HPET and TIMR would randomly get all mixed up every time I booted no matter what I manually set them to in the DSDT. Dell did a terrible job designing the power management on this system; it freezes in Windows and Linux right from the installation unless you disable the operating systems ability to power down all the network devices to save power. I doubt there will ever be a BIOS update to fix this well known problem, so you'll just have to work around it. I ended up assigning the HPET six possible IRQs to get the USB controllers working the way they are suppose to. This system refused IRQ 0 assigned to any device including the HPET. The redundant IRQs seem to stabilized the system and prevented any further device conflicts; I tried not to leave anything to chance. All that may not be necessary when using a different boot-loader and there are less devices installed; assuming it'll work at all. But Clover EFI seems to do the trick injecting the EFI variables and I can use programs like FaceTime and iMessage without any problems.

Let me know if you have any questions or need more information getting your machine working right.

Attachments

• DSDT.aml
    28.1 KB · Views: 208
I had to rewrite a large portion of the DSDT for my Dell Latitude E6400 to get everything working properly. After I got the system running smoothly, I maxed out the RAM to 8GB, upgraded the CPU to 4 cores, installed a SSD, and got it to boot with the Clover EFI in a triple boot configuration (Mac/Windows/Fedora). For the most part it's a fully functional Hackintosh.

Did you re-patch DSDT after making the hardware changes?

The "Fix_XXX" boot options are mostly un-checked in config.plist file. Not sure what you're asking me exactly... Sometimes the Clover EFI auto-patcher does a great job on some systems, but it does have a mind of it's own. On boot, it detects if the selected devices/methods need to be patched and skips the device if it is not necessary. After reviewing the boot log and determined which options were not being used, because I manual patched the DSDT, I removed them from the config.plist file.
Most systems I have patched you add the IRQ's to the HPET, remove them from the TIMR and RTC, patch the RTC length, rename a few devices and you're good to go; not this system. When you first install Windows you have to immediately turn off the power management on all the network devices or the system will freeze randomly. Linux won't even boot, or will lockup randomly without "ACPI=OFF" or "PCI=NOAPIC".
I'm sure it has something to do with io-apic being assigned IRQ 0 instead of the HPET; not exactly sure how to solve that. I know in Linux you can just add "ACPI=NOIRQ" during boot. Because io-apic = IRQ 0, i8042 = IRQ 1, HPET = 2,5,8,X the system is sluggish and has latency issues. Audio is garbled, CPU acts like it's calculating the mass of the universe, and even the graphics is sluggish, but it boots! ha ha! :)

The "Fix_XXX" boot options are mostly un-checked in config.plist file. Not sure what you're asking me exactly... Sometimes the Clover EFI auto-patcher does a great job on some systems, but it does have a mind of it's own.

As a general rule, I don't use Clover "Fixes" on laptops. They are generally not adequate.

Refer to guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-laptop-support/152573-guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.html

My question was whether you re-extracted/re-patched your DSDT after changing the hardware config.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back