Contribute
Register

Dell Inspiron 530 - High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're welcome.
It helps to know what hardware your are installing :lol:

For windows, just install the windows SSD. When you boot, Clover boot menu will show windows EFi boot drive. Choose it to boot windows.
I have the Win10 SSD plugged in but it does not show up in the Clover boot menu. All that is there is the macOS drive and another named "Recovery." Also, in the past when I wanted to boot Win10, I had to go into the BIOS and switch RAID back to IDE in order to boot. If I didn't, I would get what is essentially a Window 10 BSOD.

I did some searching on this issue and came across this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...er-you-change-the-sata-mode-of-the-boot-drive

Is that the method to correct the boot error?

Last edited:
I have the Win10 SSD plugged in but it does not show up in the Clover boot menu. All that is there is the macOS drive and another named "Recovery." Also, in the past when I wanted to boot Win10, I had to go into the BIOS and switch RAID back to IDE in order to boot. If I didn't, I would get what is essentially a Window 10 BSOD.

I did some searching on this issue and came across this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...er-you-change-the-sata-mode-of-the-boot-drive

Is that the method to correct the boot error?

You have two problems. 1. Windows was installed as Legacy BIOS IDE mode (without AHCI) and 2. Because it was installed in Legacy mode, the SSD is partitioned in MBR mode as opposed to GPT mode (GPT mode gives you the ESP - EFI System Partition).

You have two options:
1. Convert IDE to AHCI mode and then convert the SSD partition mode from MBR to GPT. Google both.
2. Reinstall Windows in UEFI mode. To do that you need Windows Installation media in UEFI mode. Then boot Clover and select Windows Installation media to start it. With method you will ALWAYS need Clover to boot Windows (as Clover provides the UEFI Environment that is needed for booting any UEFI compatible OS like macOS, Linux, Windows, etc).

Option 2 is recommended if you have no User data, Apps, etc. I.e. it's just a Windows clean install.

Google both options as we are now going off topic. Good luck

You have two problems. 1. Windows was installed as Legacy BIOS IDE mode (without AHCI) and 2. Because it was installed in Legacy mode, the SSD is partitioned in MBR mode as opposed to GPT mode (GPT mode gives you the ESP - EFI System Partition).

You have two options:
1. Convert IDE to AHCI mode and then convert the SSD partition mode from MBR to GPT. Google both.
2. Reinstall Windows in UEFI mode. To do that you need Windows Installation media in UEFI mode. Then boot Clover and select Windows Installation media to start it. With method you will ALWAYS need Clover to boot Windows (as Clover provides the UEFI Environment that is needed for booting any UEFI compatible OS like macOS, Linux, Windows, etc).

Option 2 is recommended if you have no User data, Apps, etc. I.e. it's just a Windows clean install.

Google both options as we are now going off topic. Good luck
Okay, thank you @macnb for the direction and especially for my working Hackintosh!

So, even though the Dell 530 is Legacy BIOS and not UEFI, Clover will be able to boot Windows that is created in UEFI mode?

Last edited:
Okay, thank you @macnb for the direction and especially for my working Hackintosh!

So, even though the Dell 530 is Legacy BIOS and not UEFI, Clover will be able to boot Windows that is created in UEFI mode?
You are welcome.

Yes Clover will boot Windows installed in UEFI on AHCI drive.

I thought I would update the dual-boot success for anyone else who may want to do the same. Especially if they, like me, already installed Windows as MBR partition and BIOS IDE.

It actually turned out to be easier than I anticipated. Thanks again @macnb for giving me the two options to search. I followed option 1:
Convert IDE to AHCI mode and then convert the SSD partition mode from MBR to GPT.
These were accomplished by following the instructions in each of these:

MBR to GPT

IDE to AHCI (It's the 8th post dated Dec. 30, 2017)

I thought I would update the dual-boot success for anyone else who may want to do the same. Especially if they, like me, already installed Windows as MBR partition and BIOS IDE.

It actually turned out to be easier than I anticipated. Thanks again @macnb for giving me the two options to search. I followed option 1:

These were accomplished by following the instructions in each of these:

MBR to GPT

IDE to AHCI (It's the 8th post dated Dec. 30, 2017)

Well done :clap:

You will be able to use that Windows SSD on newer UEFI based motherboards in the future - plug - n- play

Well done :clap:

You will be able to use that Windows SSD on newer UEFI based motherboards in the future - plug - n- play
Thank you again @macnb, it wouldn't have happened without your help! :headbang:

Hello i have gotten closer to fully switching to Opencore all im stuck on is the nvcap patching

Attachments

• bootable.zip
    3.9 MB · Views: 52
  • MSI.9500GS.512.080610.rom.zip
    41.7 KB · Views: 37
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back