Contribute
Register

Dell Inspiron 530 - High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well done.
Looks like you have successfully installed HS onto your SSD.

Next step is to enable that SSD to boot WITHOUT the USB stick.
To do that, you have install Clover onto the SSD.
I always use the original Clover releases from the developers.
But you can use the one on this site here.

The options do not matter too much as you are going to replace the core of it with what's on your USB.
Installing Clover does two things. 1 it installs a 1st stage boot loader on your SSD that allows the BIOS to boot Clover. 2. It installs the Clover files in the EFI Folder (which we do not care about as we are going to overwrite them with what's on your USB).

Once it's installed, MOUNT the EFI Partition on the USB using EFI Mounter.
Copy the EFI Folder from the USB EFI Partition to your Desktop (using Finder drag n drop).
UNMOUNT the USB EFI Partition.
MOUNT the SSD EFI Partition.
Delete the EFI folder at the root of your SSD EFI partition.
Copy the EFI Folder on your desktop to the root of your SSD EFI partition.

Restart your system and boot from your SSD.
All done as instructed and successfully booted. Now, how do I get internet, etc. working?

All done as instructed and successfully booted. Now, how do I get internet, etc. working?
You're welcome !

Well....you plug one end of the ethernet cable into the ethernet socket of your Dell 530 and the other end into your router.

I don't know how to get "etc" working as I never needed it.

You're welcome !

Well....you plug one end of the ethernet cable into the ethernet socket of your Dell 530 and the other end into your router.

I don't know how to get "etc" working as I never needed it.
HaHaHa! First off, yes, thank you sooooo much for all your patient assistance. I really do appreciate you alleviating the frustration that was building with this endeavor. As for the ethernet, I have already plugged the cable into the card and router. When I bring up macOS's network configurator there is nothing showing available. LOL, "etc" would be any additional drivers that might be needed for other functions to work properly. Maybe not necessary, but I wasn't sure.

"...plugged the cable into the card" ? What card ? What make and model ?

If you meant the onboard ethernet on the motherboard, then I use the attached driver.
If you have other drivers in the kexts folder for the ethernet, then remove them.

Attachments

• AppleIntelE1000e.kext.zip
    126.2 KB · Views: 51
"...plugged the cable into the card" ? What card ? What make and model ?

If you meant the onboard ethernet on the motherboard, then I use the attached driver.
If you have other drivers in the kexts folder for the ethernet, then remove them.
The onboard is only a 10/100 so I installed a pci gigabit card that uses the Realtek 8111 chip.

The onboard is only a 10/100 so I installed a pci gigabit card that uses the Realtek 8111 chip.
Search for a kext for that ethernet chip.
In addition to the onboard ethernet, I use a PCi card with Realtek 8169 chip.

Search for a kext for that ethernet chip.
In addition to the onboard ethernet, I use a PCi card with Realtek 8169 chip.
Okay, I copied and pasted the RT8111.kext into the efi/clover/kexts/other folder but I’m getting a macOS error about “network properties” when clicking on the + sign to search for network.

I went into the BIOS and enabled the onboard NIC and it does show up in the list of networks available to configure.

Last edited:
Okay, I copied and pasted the RT8111.kext into the efi/clover/kexts/other folder but I’m getting a macOS error about “network properties” when clicking on the + sign to search for network.

I went into the BIOS and enabled the onboard NIC and it does show up in the list of networks available to configure.

There should be no reason to "configure" anything in Network Preferences.
By default, macOS will configure the network itself as a DHCP Client as long as the ethernet/WiFi kexts are working.
Your Router should be setup up as a DHCP Server (usually that's default on most Routers).

This is what I see (I did not have to "configure" anything):

Screenshot 2020-11-01 at 23.58.32.png

As you can see I have TWO ethernets (en0 and en1). Both automatically setup by macOS.
If you enabled your onboard NIC and used that Kext I posted then it should work automatically.
If your Router assigns IP Addresses automatically, then that port will have internet access.

If your second NIC does not show up in network preferences then the Kext you installed for it is probably not compatible for your card. There may have been several variants of the 8111 ethernet chip.

Run the Hackintool App and click on the PCIe tool to list all the PCI devices you have in your system.
It will show the Vendor & Device ID's of all the devices:

Screenshot 2020-11-02 at 00.21.13.png

You will see that my ethernet card has Vendor ID 0x10EC and Device ID 0x8169
you need to find yours and then find a Kext that works with that Device ID.

There should be no reason to "configure" anything in Network Preferences.
By default, macOS will configure the network itself as a DHCP Client as long as the ethernet/WiFi kexts are working.
Your Router should be setup up as a DHCP Server (usually that's default on most Routers).

This is what I see (I did not have to "configure" anything):

View attachment 493902
As you can see I have TWO ethernets (en0 and en1). Both automatically setup by macOS.
If you enabled your onboard NIC and used that Kext I posted then it should work automatically.
If your Router assigns IP Addresses automatically, then that port will have internet access.

If your second NIC does not show up in network preferences then the Kext you installed for it is probably not compatible for your card. There may have been several variants of the 8111 ethernet chip.

Run the Hackintool App and click on the PCIe tool to list all the PCI devices you have in your system.
It will show the Vendor & Device ID's of all the devices:

View attachment 493904

You will see that my ethernet card has Vendor ID 0x10EC and Device ID 0x8169
you need to find yours and then find a Kext that works with that Device ID.
Turns out it was RTL8169, so I downloaded the AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext and replaced the 8111 kext with it. Voila! I have internet! @macnb, thank you again for your patience and assistance in getting this Dell 530 hack to work for me. Now that High Sierra is working, my next endeavor is to be able to dual boot this 530 to either macOS or Win10. I have Windows 10 installed on a separate SSD, what is the best course of action to follow?

Turns out it was RTL8169, so I downloaded the AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext and replaced the 8111 kext with it. Voila! I have internet! @macnb, thank you again for your patience and assistance in getting this Dell 530 hack to work for me. Now that High Sierra is working, my next endeavor is to be able to dual boot this 530 to either macOS or Win10. I have Windows 10 installed on a separate SSD, what is the best course of action to follow?

You're welcome.
It helps to know what hardware your are installing :lol:

For windows, just install the windows SSD. When you boot, Clover boot menu will show windows EFi boot drive. Choose it to boot windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back