Contribute
Register

Dell Inspiron 1720 SUCCESSFUL Hacbook Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

Going for the new build this weekend on my faithfull 1720. As mentioned before i have been running 10.6.4 with everything working minus sleep (have an 8600gt installed). Can i have some pointers on what i may require additional to the base install. As i understand it (from my previous builds on here i will need)

iboot
Retail 10.6.7 dvd
Multibeast (latest version???)
Ethernet kext from 10.5.2 (yup i still use it)
plist edit for wireless
USB kext for mouse / keyboard after base install

This is pretty much what i have used in the past, i can`t quite remember the exact kexts but i have it in an archive on my SAN so i`ll dig it out. I`m not sure about a DSDT for this, i`m running a non-retail build at the moment so have not worried about it in the past but it`s time to get a proper build on here :)

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Cheers,

I can't believe I am spending more money on my laptop but I decided to look on the Internet to see if I could upgrade my wireless network adapter from Wireless G to Wireless N. It turns out that the Inspiron 1720 had the option for Wireless N originally and there are plenty of used adapter cards available on Ebay for about $20 or less. I bought the DW-1505, Part Number: 0MX846 / MX846. Like the DW-1390 that came with my laptop, it only has 2 antennae connections so it should swap out perfectly. Hopefully, this will improve my transfer rate if not my range, both of which were need of improvement.
good choice.
i wonder how that card performs with Lion's airdrop.
at draft-n you should be able to go beyond 120Mbps between macs.
pls let us know if you have a chance to test it.
if its that fast i will need to install wifi cards in my hackintosh desktop soon.
modern macpros (post-2010) already have them standard.

I noticed, Raven, that you already have the DW1505 and that it worked OTB for you. That's very promising. I wonder why I waited so long to do this. I tried the 6 GB of SDRAM a while back and that worked great too. BTW, does your installation show that you have 2 GB in one slot and 4 GB in the other? Mine shows 2 GB in one slot and 256 MB in the other, but it shows 6 GB total. Strange, eh?
same here.
System Profiler --> Memory --> DIMM_B = 256MB
yes thats strange. because other than that everything else tells you its 4096MB.
Hardware Overview/About This Mac/Activity Monitor/Dell BIOS all report 6GB total.

Hi,

Purchased a WUXGA screen and a T9300 :) Should be a nice little upgrade... Anyhow build... I presume just the regular iboot with latest multibeast install, any hints as to the DSDT and options on the multibeast installation? Any tips appreciated.

Cheers,

Ellnic - Perhaps you can start up a thread for the 1720 in the Lion section of the forum. I would be pleased to contribute to it.
i second that.

i got my 10.6.8 working nice with my own dsdt and other stuff collected over past 2 yrs.
in dsdt main edits Device (PCI) needs to have _UID where _ADR is.
the EHC1 AND EHC2 need AAPL, entries.

the sleep tricks is mostly changing "Windows 2006" .. replace to say "Darwin"
and the EHCI fix.
the RTC
Code:
Device (RTC)
                {
                    Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0B00"))
                    Name (RT, ResourceTemplate ()
                    {
                        IO (Decode16,
                            0x0072,             // Range Minimum
                            0x0072,             // Range Maximum
                            0x01,               // Alignment Original 0x02
                            0x08,               // Length original 0x06
                            )
                    })
                    Method (_CRS, 0, NotSerialized)
                    {
                        Return (RT)
                    }
                }
and IRQNO in Device (MB2) with {0} make it {} then HPET can use IRQ 0 instead of 2.

check the _Wak in 3 different models.
inspiron 1525 .. xps M1530 and inspiron 1520. all have different entry about lid and video.
(part of shutdown issue is dsdt designed for x3100 and added nvidia to the BUS)

in the 1525 look at AINT, at end shows Store (One, LBPC)
inspiron 1520 shows Store (One, ASLE)
ASLE i believe is AGP related. its in IGDP region bellow
Code:
OperationRegion (IGDP, PCI_Config, 0x40, 0xC0)
                Field (IGDP, AnyAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
                {
                            Offset (0x12), 
                        ,   1, 
                    GIVD,   1, 
                        ,   2, 
                    GUMA,   3, 
                            Offset (0x14), 
                        ,   4, 
                    GMFN,   1, 
                            Offset (0x18), 
                            Offset (0xA4), 
                    ASLE,   8, 
                            Offset (0xA8), 
                    GSSE,   1, 
                    GSSB,   14, 
                    GSES,   1, 
                            Offset (0xB0), 
                            Offset (0xB1), 
                    CDVL,   5, 
                            Offset (0xB2), 
                            Offset (0xB5), 
                    LBPC,   8, 
                            Offset (0xBC), 
                    ASLS,   32
also the Method (SMI has MECI difference
in M1530 shows
While (Zero) {}
insprion 1520
While (LEqual (\_SB.MECI, Zero)) {}
so that probably says it uses different SMI or SCI commands during _PTS and probably why SLPE in PTS doesnt work. (ignored OR needs a prior command to set or clear a bit somewhere)
easy fix for dell would be to make 2 different dsdt and during flash identify if x31000 or NVDA then flash proper one.

im looking into the shutdown. its definitely related to MECI
but hopefully i see how to adapt from linux acpi the video shutdown from Bumblebee
(for hybrid intel/nvidia laptops)
but i see its worked on most dells. they use _DSM and part of DTGP to change something with _PS3 and _PSC on (AGP)(VID)= our nvidias... my finger hurts almost from so many PWRB_OR (power button override hard shutdown according to acpi2.0 spec lol)

Hi,
I just got a Dell 1720, and I'm working on turning it into a hackbook. What is the best bootloader to use? I tried iBoot and iBoot Legacy, but didn't have any success with them. It seems like more people are using chameleon, but is there a specific version that works well with this computer? iBoot Legacy seemed to work well, but as soon as I tried running OS 10.6 I got kernel panics. Using safe mode did the same thing. I'm using an OS 10.6.3 retail DVD. I'd prefer a method that doesn't require an external hard drive, since I don't have one. I do have a working Powerbook that I can use for downloads and burning CDs or DVDs. Any recommendations?

Edit: The kernel panic I got was:
panic(cpu 0 caller 0x5600f3): "Unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\". \n"@/Users/nawcom/Builds/xnu-1504.9.26/iokit/Kernel/IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1393

LatinMcGruber75 said:
im looking into the shutdown. its definitely related to MECI
but hopefully i see how to adapt from linux acpi the video shutdown from Bumblebee
(for hybrid intel/nvidia laptops)
but i see its worked on most dells. they use _DSM and part of DTGP to change something with _PS3 and _PSC on (AGP)(VID)= our nvidias... my finger hurts almost from so many PWRB_OR (power button override hard shutdown according to acpi2.0 spec lol)

Well, even though I don't really understand DSDT's, I am really looking forward to testing this with you. Hibernate Mode 3 would be awesome! no more traditional sleep! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back