Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey all,

I recently got a new (refurbished) laptop, the Dell Inspiron 15 7567! This replaced my previous Dell Inspiron 15 7559 (which broke and Dell couldn't repair it after 3-4 repairs, so we got it swapped), and it has the following specs:

Intel i7-7700HQ
Intel HD Graphics 630
nVidia GTX 1050 Ti
Dell DW1560 (I swapped this in to replace the Intel AC3165)
512GB SSD + 1TB HDD (I swapped in the 512GB SSD from the factory configured 128GB)
16GB DDR4 2400MHz RAM
1080p FHD IPS Panel
Realtek ALC 3246

I've been attempting to get macOS High Sierra on here for the better part of a week now, and I've run into several issues (and the list may expand as I try to get everything working):

1) Sometimes, the kernel cache won't be able to load (kernel cache error 0xe). I don't know why this is happening, but I cannot repair it without a FULL reinstall of the system. I don't know what's causing this, and this happened on my Dell Inspiron 15 7559 as well before it broke. Here's what the error looks like:

Code:
OsxAptioFix2Drv: Starting overrides for \System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi
Using relocblock: no, hibernate wake: no
fs_get_inode_with_hint:8080: failed to load inode 949297 ret 22
Error loading kernel cache (0xe)
Boot failed, sleeping for 10 seconds before exiting...

I'm going to put temporary blame on the APFS file system, and when I reinstall again, I may disable force-conversion of HFS+ to APFS, and install macOS High Sierra with HFS+ ... If anybody knows the reasons behind this error / how to solve it, that would be great! :D

2) Before I wasn't able to boot into the system, I was trying to get brightness working, using the AppleBacklightInjector + SSDT_PNLF + backlight kext patch. Everything worked fine (brightness worked and everything), but when I rebooted, the brightness levels don't save!

I made sure that my NVRAM was working (via RC scripts & EmuVariableUEFI-64.efi), which it is, and this problem still persists! Any suggestions? :think:

3) I was attempting to patch my AppleHDA, and I determined that the audio codec on the machine is the Realtek ALC 3246. The reason I bring this up is because Linux (Ubuntu) didn't have ANY codec information at all! The /proc/asound folder was simply missing, and the "10ec" PCI ID brandstring was simply missing from the "lspci" command.

When I went into windows however, I determined that the vendor and device ID's were as follows: "10ec:0256". Is this a Realtek ALC256 codec? As I'm not too sure where to get my verb information for the ALC 3246 if Linux doesn't even pick it up...

Those are all of the issues I have for now, and I would be greatly appreciative if someone would be able to give me some advice and suggestions on fixing these!

Thank you very much! :D

-Duncan

Hey all,

I recently got a new (refurbished) laptop, the Dell Inspiron 15 7567! This replaced my previous Dell Inspiron 15 7559 (which broke and Dell couldn't repair it after 3-4 repairs, so we got it swapped), and it has the following specs:

Intel i7-7700HQ
Intel HD Graphics 630
nVidia GTX 1050 Ti
Dell DW1560 (I swapped this in to replace the Intel AC3165)
512GB SSD + 1TB HDD (I swapped in the 512GB SSD from the factory configured 128GB)
16GB DDR4 2400MHz RAM
1080p FHD IPS Panel
Realtek ALC 3246

I've been attempting to get macOS High Sierra on here for the better part of a week now, and I've run into several issues (and the list may expand as I try to get everything working):

1) Sometimes, the kernel cache won't be able to load (kernel cache error 0xe). I don't know why this is happening, but I cannot repair it without a FULL reinstall of the system. I don't know what's causing this, and this happened on my Dell Inspiron 15 7559 as well before it broke. Here's what the error looks like:

Code:
OsxAptioFix2Drv: Starting overrides for \System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi
Using relocblock: no, hibernate wake: no
fs_get_inode_with_hint:8080: failed to load inode 949297 ret 22
Error loading kernel cache (0xe)
Boot failed, sleeping for 10 seconds before exiting...

I'm going to put temporary blame on the APFS file system, and when I reinstall again, I may disable force-conversion of HFS+ to APFS, and install macOS High Sierra with HFS+ ... If anybody knows the reasons behind this error / how to solve it, that would be great! :D

2) Before I wasn't able to boot into the system, I was trying to get brightness working, using the AppleBacklightInjector + SSDT_PNLF + backlight kext patch. Everything worked fine (brightness worked and everything), but when I rebooted, the brightness levels don't save!

I made sure that my NVRAM was working (via RC scripts & EmuVariableUEFI-64.efi), which it is, and this problem still persists! Any suggestions? :think:

3) I was attempting to patch my AppleHDA, and I determined that the audio codec on the machine is the Realtek ALC 3246. The reason I bring this up is because Linux (Ubuntu) didn't have ANY codec information at all! The /proc/asound folder was simply missing, and the "10ec" PCI ID brandstring was simply missing from the "lspci" command.

When I went into windows however, I determined that the vendor and device ID's were as follows: "10ec:0256". Is this a Realtek ALC256 codec? As I'm not too sure where to get my verb information for the ALC 3246 if Linux doesn't even pick it up...

Those are all of the issues I have for now, and I would be greatly appreciative if someone would be able to give me some advice and suggestions on fixing these!

Thank you very much! :D

-Duncan

1. Use OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi instead of OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi (without "Problem Reporting" files that is the only guess I can offer).

2. You must have NVRAM implemented correctly to save backlight level. Also see other notes in the brightness guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...rol-using-applebacklightinjector-kext.218222/

3. Get your real codec id from a Linux audio codec dump or from Windows Device Manager... sounds like you already know it is ALC256 (10ec:0256), so not sure what the issue is. There are patched AppleHDA components available for ALC256 as well as a custom SSDT for CodecCommander.kext.

1. Use OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi instead of OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi (without "Problem Reporting" files that is the only guess I can offer).

2. You must have NVRAM implemented correctly to save backlight level. Also see other notes in the brightness guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...rol-using-applebacklightinjector-kext.218222/

3. Get your real codec id from a Linux audio codec dump or from Windows Device Manager... sounds like you already know it is ALC256 (10ec:0256), so not sure what the issue is. There are patched AppleHDA components available for ALC256 as well as a custom SSDT for CodecCommander.kext.

Thank you for the reply!

For 1) I installed HFS+J with macOS High Sierra so hopefully that issue won't happen again. I'm using OsxAptioFix2Drv because I encountered memory allocation errors with OsxAptioFixDrv...I will experiment with it, though...

2) I just tested my NVRAM (which is setup with RC scripts+EmuVariableUEFI-64.efi) by saving a temporary variable and seeing it retained on next boot. However, the brightness levels are not persistent in between reboots! I will attach problem reporting files for you to examine...

3) I had a little bit of a forgetful moment there where I thought there wasn't any way to get the audio verbs for the ALC3246, etc etc. I also had a hard time because Linux didn't detect the audio chipset, so there was no codec dump information in /proc/asound/codecX. (/proc/asound folder didn't exist). I will work on getting ALC256 working, though, now that I know that information...

Thank you!

-Duncan

Problem Reporting Output:
Code:
Duncans-HackBook-Pro-Retina:~ duncan$ kextstat|grep -y acpiplat
   15    2 0xffffff7f82e43000 0x9c000    0x9c000    com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform (6.1) 642EF8D6-8F86-3F92-B450-FDC9BAE4F3DD <14 12 11 7 6 5 4 3 1>
Duncans-HackBook-Pro-Retina:~ duncan$ kextstat|grep -y appleintelcpu
Duncans-HackBook-Pro-Retina:~ duncan$ kextstat|grep -y applelpc
Duncans-HackBook-Pro-Retina:~ duncan$ kextstat|grep -y applehda

Attachments

• i7567-ProblemReporting.zip
    5.2 MB · Views: 244
A quick update all:

My macOS install has (so far) not seen the dreaded "error loading kernel cache (0xe)" error which requires me to reimage the system, which is good!

I also managed to get the ALC256 codec "installed" on my HackBook, with it successfully loading. However, the speakers AND headphones DO NOT work (at all)! I would be perfectly fine patching this if I had a Linux codec dump file, but as mentioned in previous posts, Linux simply doesn't detect my Realtek card, which means there is no /proc/asound (and thus no /proc/asound/codecX file with all of the data in it)!

That leads me to the question: Is there any way to acquire this codec verb information in Windows? Unless there is a way to get Linux (Ubuntu in my case) to recognize my sound card, I'm afraid that's the only option I have in order to acquire the node data...

If anyone knows how I could go about this that would be appreciated! :D

Thank you!

-Duncan

I went ahead and cleaned up my config-plist (so now it doesn't have any "#" from Clover Configurator), removed the /SystemParameters/BacklightLevel key, rebuilt kext cache for the clover hotpatching, but it still doesn't work :think:
I'm most likely missing something, but I'm not too sure what it is at this point, as my emulated NVRAM is working (tested it by saving values to the NVRAM and recalling it on the next boot) ...

I'll reattach my problem reporting files to see if you can catch anything that I didn't :lol:

Thank you!

-Duncan

Code:
Duncans-HackBook-Pro-Retina:RHM duncan$ sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /
Password:
Kext with invalid signatured (-67030) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fdf8b9298e0 [0x7fff8588b5b0]> { URL = "DummyHDA_ALC256.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.apple.driver.AppleHDA" }
Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fdf8b8c5140 [0x7fff8588b5b0]> { URL = "CodecCommander.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "org.tw.CodecCommander" }
Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fdf8900d140 [0x7fff8588b5b0]> { URL = "AppleBacklightInjector.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "org.rehabman.injector.AppleBacklightInjector" }
KernelCache ID: 29AB1DAF9F03E967020CB3D54E7EC941
Duncans-HackBook-Pro-Retina:RHM duncan$

Attachments

• i7567-ProblemReporting.zip
    5.3 MB · Views: 218
I went ahead and cleaned up my config-plist (so now it doesn't have any "#" from Clover Configurator), removed the /SystemParameters/BacklightLevel key, rebuilt kext cache for the clover hotpatching, but it still doesn't work :think:
I'm most likely missing something, but I'm not too sure what it is at this point, as my emulated NVRAM is working (tested it by saving values to the NVRAM and recalling it on the next boot) ...

I'll reattach my problem reporting files to see if you can catch anything that I didn't :lol:

Thank you!

-Duncan

Code:
Duncans-HackBook-Pro-Retina:RHM duncan$ sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /
Password:
Kext with invalid signatured (-67030) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fdf8b9298e0 [0x7fff8588b5b0]> { URL = "DummyHDA_ALC256.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.apple.driver.AppleHDA" }
Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fdf8b8c5140 [0x7fff8588b5b0]> { URL = "CodecCommander.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "org.tw.CodecCommander" }
Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fdf8900d140 [0x7fff8588b5b0]> { URL = "AppleBacklightInjector.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "org.rehabman.injector.AppleBacklightInjector" }
KernelCache ID: 29AB1DAF9F03E967020CB3D54E7EC941
Duncans-HackBook-Pro-Retina:RHM duncan$

I see no sign of any fake ALS device.
Read the guide carefully.

I see no sign of any fake ALS device.
Read the guide carefully.

Adding the "SSDT-ALS0.aml" to my ACPI/patched did the trick! Thank you! :D
Of course I completely skimped over it, as I thought this laptop didn't have any sort of ambient light sensing stuff (as it's not active in Windows or anything like that)...

Going back to the issue with my ALC256 (/ ALC3246), is there any way to get codec node data from anywhere other than Linux? As Ubuntu (at least the Live CD version) doesn't generate any /proc/asound/codecX for this laptop, and I'm not too sure how I'm going to be able to patch the HDA for my codec without that node data...:think:

I'll try to keep looking to see if I missed anything, but I've been trying to find some sort of codec node data on Ubuntu for a couple of days now...my vision may be getting worse :lol:

If you have any suggestions that would be great! :D
This laptop seems to be pretty "Easy" to hack, and with great specs too! :cool:

-Duncan

Adding the "SSDT-ALS0.aml" to my ACPI/patched did the trick! Thank you! :D
Of course I completely skimped over it, as I thought this laptop didn't have any sort of ambient light sensing stuff (as it's not active in Windows or anything like that)...

Going back to the issue with my ALC256 (/ ALC3246), is there any way to get codec node data from anywhere other than Linux? As Ubuntu (at least the Live CD version) doesn't generate any /proc/asound/codecX for this laptop, and I'm not too sure how I'm going to be able to patch the HDA for my codec without that node data...:think:

I'll try to keep looking to see if I missed anything, but I've been trying to find some sort of codec node data on Ubuntu for a couple of days now...my vision may be getting worse :lol:

If you have any suggestions that would be great! :D
This laptop seems to be pretty "Easy" to hack, and with great specs too! :cool:

-Duncan

Why not try ALC256 that have already been created?

Why not try ALC256 that have already been created?

I have an ALC256 created, installed, and setup from AppleHDAPatcher (I have the DummyHDA.kext and Clover patches as well for it), but the speakers & headphones don't produce any output (and I have CodecCommander also installed). Only the mic works... :think:
Any suggestions for debugging the speakers/headphones? They switch properly, but no sound comes out.

The logs are also spammed with AppleHDA assertion errors, so I may have to do some additional patching with it...

-Duncan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back