Contribute
Register

Dell Inspiron 15 7567 - General Installation Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the info! I would be able to patch it myself and everything (as I've had experience with it before, I provided Mirone with the VIA 1802 v2 codec patch), but Linux doesn't generate any codec dump information for my codec! The /proc/asound folder is simply missing on my Inspiron 15 7567 ... :think:

If there's any way to acquire that codec / node data another way that would be awesome! I'm not too sure if such other way exists, though...:think:

Where would I find the SSDT? It wasn't provided in the AppleHDAPatcher output when it generated the files for ALC256...:think:

-Duncan

EDIT:
I found SSDT-256.aml! It was in your (RHM) CodecCommander repo...
Sound still does not work with SSDT-256.aml included! I do hear static "noise" when headphones are plugged in, however, which is different from when before I heard nothing at all...
Here's the problem reporting files (with SSDT-256.aml included).

Have you tried both commands?
cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#1 > ~/Desktop/codec_dump.txt
cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 > ~/Desktop/codec_dump.txt

My Laptop gives nothing if I try the 0 one, and nice our laptops are Dell it might be your case as well.

I think you will need the codec dump.
Latest version of Ubuntu?
Older version of Ubuntu?

I'm currently using Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS. I probably should update to 16.04.3, but that's what I'm using.
I also use the LiveCD, so that may make things a bit more complicating...

Have you tried both commands?
cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#1 > ~/Desktop/codec_dump.txt
cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 > ~/Desktop/codec_dump.txt

My Laptop gives nothing if I try the 0 one, and nice our laptops are Dell it might be your case as well.

The "asound" folder doesn't exist under /proc, so none of those commands work... :think:

-Duncan

I'm currently using Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS. I probably should update to 16.04.3, but that's what I'm using.
I also use the LiveCD, so that may make things a bit more complicating...

The "asound" folder doesn't exist under /proc, so none of those commands work... :think:

-Duncan

Great news guys!
My sound is now working in Ubuntu! I just had to update my Ubuntu from 16.04.1 to 16.04.3... :lol:
I will now attempt to patch AppleHDA myself for this codec :D

I still have a couple of issues with this machine, though...

1) The laptop sleeps when the power cable is unplugged, but instant wakes when the power cable is plugged in. Does this mean I need to apply a USB _PRW patch? I'm not too sure which one to apply though if applicable (since it only mentions Skylake, and not Kaby Lake)...:think:

2) AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement / X86PlatformPlugin AND AppleLPC aren't loading, but I have FULL power management via the OEM SSDT's. AppleIntelInfo reports C3 states on all 4 / 8 cores, and reports P-States on the CPU from 10 > 37 (max clock speed for my i7-7700HQ is 2.8GHz, but turbo is 3.8GHz)...

Should I drop OEM SSDT's and add an ssdtPRGen-generated SSDT? :think:

Thank you!

-Duncan

Great news guys!
My sound is now working in Ubuntu! I just had to update my Ubuntu from 16.04.1 to 16.04.3... :lol:
I will now attempt to patch AppleHDA myself for this codec :D

I still have a couple of issues with this machine, though...

1) The laptop sleeps when the power cable is unplugged, but instant wakes when the power cable is plugged in. Does this mean I need to apply a USB _PRW patch? I'm not too sure which one to apply though if applicable (since it only mentions Skylake, and not Kaby Lake)...:think:

2) AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement / X86PlatformPlugin AND AppleLPC aren't loading, but I have FULL power management via the OEM SSDT's. AppleIntelInfo reports C3 states on all 4 / 8 cores, and reports P-States on the CPU from 10 > 37 (max clock speed for my i7-7700HQ is 2.8GHz, but turbo is 3.8GHz)...

Should I drop OEM SSDT's and add an ssdtPRGen-generated SSDT? :think:

Thank you!

-Duncan

_PRW patch is chipset related. Skylake and KabyLake are both on 100-series (on mobile).
See CPU PM guide linked from FAQ.

_PRW patch is chipset related. Skylake and KabyLake are both on 100-series (on mobile).
See CPU PM guide linked from FAQ.

Alright, I got the _PRW patch implemented via hotpatching! Now it sleeps successfully with and without the charger plugged in! :D

I have one final problem, however, and that goes back to audio...
There are a number of unique things about the specific implementation of the ALC256 (aka ALC3246) codec on here that I'm a little puzzled on how to fix / patch...

1) The headphone AND speaker pin complex BOTH route to the same Audio Output node, defined as node 0x2. I think this is causing a conflict as the microphone works perfectly (ambient noise reduction and everything), while the speaker and headphones don't work at all...

2) There is a dedicated subwoofer / bass node (defined as node 0x1b and that even has its own EAPD and everything) that I'm not too sure how to tie into / associate with the other devices...

Any advice on how I should overcome these? :think:
I'll attach my current audio files...

Thank you very much! :D

-Duncan

Attachments

• Manual Audio Patching.zip
    586.4 KB · Views: 99
Alright, I got the _PRW patch implemented via hotpatching! Now it sleeps successfully with and without the charger plugged in! :D

There are a number of unique things about the specific implementation of the ALC256 (aka ALC3246) codec on here that I'm a little puzzled on how to fix / patch...

1) The headphone AND speaker pin complex BOTH route to the same Audio Output node, defined as node 0x2. I think this is causing a conflict as the microphone works perfectly (ambient noise reduction and everything), while the speaker and headphones don't work at all...

2) There is a dedicated subwoofer / bass node (defined as node 0x1b and that even has its own EAPD and everything) that I'm not too sure how to tie into / associate with the other devices...

-Duncan

To be fair, Im not very good at interpreting this, Rehabman might be better than me, when I did mine I just got lucky, and decided to remove the line input altogether, that made headphone detection works as well as the speakers.

To be fair, Im not very good at interpreting this, Rehabman might be better than me, when I did mine I just got lucky, and decided to remove the line input altogether, that made headphone detection works as well as the speakers.

Thank you for the suggestion! I deleted LineIn everywhere and still no dice, however... :think:

I'll have to keep digging into this...I'm not going to be able to live without audio on my Hack:lol:

-Duncan

Hi Duncan,

Can you advise which guides you used to install and/or upgrade to high sierra ? would like to do similar on my 7559.

-Duncan

Start simple. Work on just one function at a time (eg. build a PathMap that has only speaker connections).

No multi-channel (except stereo) support in AppleHDA that we know of.

Start simple. Work on just one function at a time (eg. build a PathMap that has only speaker connections).

No multi-channel (except stereo) support in AppleHDA that we know of.

I've been attempting to patch my AppleHDA for various speakers nodes etc (without success) for the past couple hours now, and something just dawned on me that made me facepalm pretty hard...

This codec is EXACTLY the same as the one on my Dell Inspiron 15 7559 (the graphs generated via codecgraph are IDENTICAL), yet sound isn't working...

That leads me to assume that there is something wrong with my patching process OTHER than the dummyHDA kext that I'm using...:think:

I'm not too sure as to what that could be though, and I'll attach my problem reporting files to see if you can see anything that I can't...
I would essentially ignore the dummyHDA kext that I'm using, as I'm sure it's wrong and the problem doesn't reside in the kext...

I also noticed that when I change the volume via FN+F2/F3 on my laptop / with the slider, it's very laggy to respond, and a LOT of assertions are being dumped into the logs... :think:

Hopefully we'll get somewhere with this! :lol:

-Duncan

Outputs:
Code:
Duncans-HackBook-Pro-Retina:RHM duncan$ kextstat | grep -y acpiplat
   15    2 0xffffff7f830e0000 0x9c000    0x9c000    com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform (6.1) 642EF8D6-8F86-3F92-B450-FDC9BAE4F3DD <14 12 11 7 6 5 4 3 1>
Duncans-HackBook-Pro-Retina:RHM duncan$ kextstat | grep -y applelpc
Duncans-HackBook-Pro-Retina:RHM duncan$ kextstat | grep -y appleintelcpu
Duncans-HackBook-Pro-Retina:RHM duncan$ kextstat | grep -y applehda
  104    1 0xffffff7f8237d000 0x1d000    0x1d000    com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController (280.12) 55162F3D-B7E9-315C-A7E1-C5C4C02F03EC <103 102 90 12 7 6 5 4 3 1>
  132    0 0xffffff7f824fd000 0xb7000    0xb7000    com.apple.driver.AppleHDA (999.1.1fc1) 7FC2BABA-4D4F-34FC-93E2-3E3244DEB73D <131 110 104 103 102 90 12 11 6 5 4 3 1>
Duncans-HackBook-Pro-Retina:RHM duncan$

Code:
Duncans-HackBook-Pro-Retina:RHM duncan$ sudo touch /system/library/extensions && sudo kextcache -u /
Password:
Kext with invalid signatured (-67030) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fd0408be6b0 [0x7fff9e22f5b0]> { URL = "DummyHDA_ALC256_speakerOnlySUB.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.apple.driver.AppleHDA" }
Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fd04085cae0 [0x7fff9e22f5b0]> { URL = "CodecCommander.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "org.tw.CodecCommander" }
Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fd04083c710 [0x7fff9e22f5b0]> { URL = "BrcmPatchRAM2.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.no-one.BrcmPatchRAM2" }
Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fd04083bec0 [0x7fff9e22f5b0]> { URL = "BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.no-one.BrcmFirmwareStore" }
Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fd03d837c50 [0x7fff9e22f5b0]> { URL = "AppleBacklightInjector.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "org.rehabman.injector.AppleBacklightInjector" }
Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fd03be0ed90 [0x7fff9e22f5b0]> { URL = "ACPIBatteryManager.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "org.rehabman.driver.AppleSmartBatteryManager" }
KernelCache ID: D8DEF8B8E73F23371EFE46082C7A63BD
Duncans-HackBook-Pro-Retina:RHM duncan$

Attachments

• i7567-ProblemReporting.zip
    3.2 MB · Views: 102
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back