Contribute
Register

Dell G5 5587 - Working with Catalina 10.15.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, yes! I have the dell 5587, if you can upload your EFi I would be thankful.

i was using your old efi and it works but I’m sure you made improvements ,

I wanted to ask about a couple of things maybe you got to work that I couldn’t .
1) usbc for me only works if the drive is plugged when I turn the computer in, does it work plug and play for you? How?
2) have you gotten brightness to work ? (For me it’s always full brightness , which is fine but maybe you got it to ork )
3) what info do you have about the acpi patched ? I have used yours and it works fine have you improved it ?
4) My audio wont work when i plug the headphones, even when using your efi, any ideas?

I know WiFi , Bluetooth and sd don’t work so I have dongles for that

thanks for all, you are very kind .
Computer mostly works but I’ve been trying to tune it and you are one of the few I found that had it working .

I updated my EFI, don't forget to change the serial number and MUI number so that your iMessage works. As for your questions...

1. I have messed with the USB C and from what I discovered is that the way Dells bios handles the USB C on this model makes is where you have to have the usb c device plugged in first. Mac OS is not designed to handle USB C devices like windows. I have another computer (desktop) that the USB C works when you plug in so I assume it is a dell bios issue. *** THIS WORKS OPPOSITE FOR IF YOU WANT TO HAVE HDMI OUT, GET A USB C TO HDMI ADAPTOR AND PLUG IT IN AFTER YOU BOOT INTO OS AND IT WILL DETECT. IF YOU PLUG IT IN BEFORE YOU BOOT, CLOVER WILL HANG. ***

2. The only way I can control the brightness is to go into bios and set the level there and it will stay with that brightness until you go back into bios and change it again. (If you do this in windows, it will revert back to full brightness when you boot into Mac OS.)

3. I have not changed the ACPI Patch. (Well, I tried to fix an issue with the audio not working when booting some times).

4. The audio is funky on this model laptop. Sometimes it uses the nvidia hdmi audio for no apparent reason. (Even with latest Dell bios update). The only work around I found was to shut down, unplug power and turn back on and when booted into Mac OS, plug back in. I have played with Hackintool and patched the audio and discovered the headphone out works occasionally but was not able to get it to stay on every boot. I ended up using a bluetooth headphone.

I am sure if someone was to monkey around more with the acpi patch they could get the audio/headphone jack to work more reliably since I was able to get them to work occasionally. Since I am now running a i9 and a couple ryzentosh desktops, I kinda only use the 2 5587's occasionally and have not invested much more time into it.

Hi,
i put the EFI folder in the EFI partition of my Catalina Install stick but with your EFI the installer doesn´t show up as a boot option in clover. Does anyone know how to fix it?
I tried different EFI folders from other people for earlier versions of Mac OS and with the other ones it recognises the install stick in clover but all of my attempts froze during boot

Hi,
i put the EFI folder in the EFI partition of my Catalina Install stick but with your EFI the installer doesn´t show up as a boot option in clover. Does anyone know how to fix it?
I tried different EFI folders from other people for earlier versions of Mac OS and with the other ones it recognises the install stick in clover but all of my attempts froze during boot
You need the updated one, I will upload the latest one for 15.5.6 this evening.

OK, I updated the EFI folder on the first post, you can re-download it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back