Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
  5. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Got the Dell G5-5587 working with Mac OS Catalina 10.15.2 (Should also work on the G5 7577, 7587 & 7588 versions as well). Everything functions except for the Nvidia Graphics since they are no longer supported since High Sierra. I custom made a kext for the USB ports. For internal Wifi, I replaced the Intel Wireless with a DW1830 wireless AC and added a 3rd antenna. * DO NOT WASTE TIME TRYING TO GET A DW1820a CARD TO WORK, there are so any different versions of that card and only 1 version will work and after ordering and waiting for cards to arrive, even when told they were the version I needed, they were not. Look on AliExress for a DW1830 and order from china, you can find those there for between 30-50 dollars, just have to wait for it.

Below if my EFI folder, you will have to enter your own Serial Number & smUUID with Clover Configurator to get iMessage & FaceTime to work.

** Updated Note: There are a couple issues, The Audio Sometimes Disappears, To get it working, shut down, unplug from power and boot into Mac OS, then plug charger back in and it should work, if not, repeat the steps. Another issue, the USB C support for drives only works if you plug in before booting into Mac OS. If you use a USB C to HDMI adaptor, plug it in AFTER you boot into Mac OS or Clover will hang at boot.

I will update my EFI with each update of Mac OS so you can check back for a more current EFI if needed.

*** UPDATED FOR 15.5.6 Catalina - Don't Forget To Generate You A New Serial Number 7 MUID ***

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    42.8 MB · Views: 441
Last edited:
Hi, thanks a lot!
I have Dell G5 5587 too from China here, but with different hardware. I have i5-8300H and UHD 630, just wondering if your EFI would works... Or could you please share your process of installing Catalina so we can get more versions of this laptop to hacintosh?Thanks

Hi, thanks a lot!
I have Dell G5 5587 too from China here, but with different hardware. I have i5-8300H and UHD 630, just wondering if your EFI would works... Or could you please share your process of installing Catalina so we can get more versions of this laptop to hacintosh?Thanks
Yes, it should work as well.

hello thank you for sharing your EFI folder, I have the same notebook and installed mojave, just in case you notice the battery draining faster than usual?

No. My battery drains about the same rate in windows or Mac OS Catalina. One thing you can do is boot into windows (if you are dual booting) and download the power management software from Dell and select a different power plan. On the 5587, the power plan with the Dell Power Management software, it will use the same power plan in Mac OS because the Dell Power Management program sets the power management in the bios and not in windows.

If you are not dual booting with Windows, you can temporarily install a second SATA drive and install windows, then download the Dell Power Management Utility and select the "Balanced" plan and reboot onnce back into windows and it should then use that power management plan, which is what I am using.

Got the Dell G5-5587 working with Mac OS Catalina 10.15.2 (Should also work on the G5 7577, 7587 & 7588 versions as well). Everything functions except for the Nvidia Graphics since they are no longer supported since High Sierra. I custom made a kext for the USB ports. For internal Wifi, I replaced the Intel Wireless with a DW1830 wireless AC and added a 3rd antenna. * DO NOT WASTE TIME TRYING TO GET A DW1820a CARD TO WORK, there are so any different versions of that card and only 1 version will work and after ordering and waiting for cards to arrive, even when told they were the version I needed, they were not. Look on AliExress for a DW1830 and order from china, you can find those there for between 30-50 dollars, just have to wait for it.

Below if my EFI folder, you will have to enter your own Serial Number & smUUID with Clover Configurator to get iMessage & FaceTime to work.

I will update my EFI with each update of Mac OS so you can check back for a more current EFI if needed.
Hello, I have the same G5 in my hand. It's rough on the way to grope for installation. I hope I can have a tutorial to help you. I also have the same G5 in my hand. It's rough on the way to grope for installation. I hope I can have a tutorial to help you

Hello, I have the same G5 in my hand. It's rough on the way to grope for installation. I hope I can have a tutorial to help you. I also have the same G5 in my hand. It's rough on the way to grope for installation. I hope I can have a tutorial to help you

What do you need help with?

have you updated your efi for latest catalina yet?

have you updated your efi for latest catalina yet?
Yes... to 10.15.4. Do you need? If so, let me know and I will upload it sunday. (I dont use the 2 5587's that much anymore. I built a couple rysentoshs.

Yes... to 10.15.4. Do you need? If so, let me know and I will upload it sunday. (I dont use the 2 5587's that much anymore. I built a couple rysentoshs.

Hey, yes! I have the dell 5587, if you can upload your EFi I would be thankful.

i was using your old efi and it works but I’m sure you made improvements ,

I wanted to ask about a couple of things maybe you got to work that I couldn’t .
1) usbc for me only works if the drive is plugged when I turn the computer in, does it work plug and play for you? How?
2) have you gotten brightness to work ? (For me it’s always full brightness , which is fine but maybe you got it to ork )
3) what info do you have about the acpi patched ? I have used yours and it works fine have you improved it ?
4) My audio wont work when i plug the headphones, even when using your efi, any ideas?

I know WiFi , Bluetooth and sd don’t work so I have dongles for that

thanks for all, you are very kind .
Computer mostly works but I’ve been trying to tune it and you are one of the few I found that had it working .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back