Dell E6410
CPU
i7-620M
Graphics
Nvidia NVS-3100M
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hi,

I have an old Dell E6410 that I am trying to get High Sierra onto, I want to try and get another 2 years out of it as a secondary laptop until I turn it into a HTPC.

I can install it just fine, load clover, boot into the OS with working graphics (InjectNvidia), load the AppleIntellE1000e Ethernet Kext and have a perfectly stable system. As soon as I try and load any other Kext, the following reboot I get a white screen for about 3-5 sec then an instant reboot and the only way to get a desktop following that is to reinstall the system again.

I haven't worked with a hack since I loaded El Captain on to it about 2 years ago, so I'm wondering which Kexts I would need to load for HS compared to what I had to load for El Cap, also what the proper DSDT patches would be, or should I just use the same ones as before?

With El Captain I followed this guide: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...-latitude-e6410-nvidia-el-capitan-clover-eng/

Basically the Kexts I had to load were:
FakeSMC (Needed for a hack)
VoodooPS2Controller (Built-in Keyboard & Trackpad/Pointing Stick)
AppleIntelE100e (Ethernet)
ACPIBacklight (Brightness control from System Preferences? I just used the FN Keys)
ACPIBatteryManager (Battery meter)
VoodooSDHC (SD Card Reader)
VoodooHDA (I was never able to get audio working through the guide with AppleHDA)

Finally I am wondering if sleep would be possible with this system on High Sierra, if not it's not a big deal, but it would be nice.

I still have a working bootable El Captain installation on a separate hard drive I can swap out and boot if need be.

Thanks!!

Am interested in the thread but cannot find it under Laptop support...

Hi,

I have an old Dell E6410 that I am trying to get High Sierra onto, I want to try and get another 2 years out of it as a secondary laptop until I turn it into a HTPC.

I can install it just fine, load clover, boot into the OS with working graphics (InjectNvidia), load the AppleIntellE1000e Ethernet Kext and have a perfectly stable system. As soon as I try and load any other Kext, the following reboot I get a white screen for about 3-5 sec then an instant reboot and the only way to get a desktop following that is to reinstall the system again.

I haven't worked with a hack since I loaded El Captain on to it about 2 years ago, so I'm wondering which Kexts I would need to load for HS compared to what I had to load for El Cap, also what the proper DSDT patches would be, or should I just use the same ones as before?

With El Captain I followed this guide: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...-latitude-e6410-nvidia-el-capitan-clover-eng/

Basically the Kexts I had to load were:
FakeSMC (Needed for a hack)
VoodooPS2Controller (Built-in Keyboard & Trackpad/Pointing Stick)
AppleIntelE100e (Ethernet)
ACPIBacklight (Brightness control from System Preferences? I just used the FN Keys)
ACPIBatteryManager (Battery meter)
VoodooSDHC (SD Card Reader)
VoodooHDA (I was never able to get audio working through the guide with AppleHDA)

Finally I am wondering if sleep would be possible with this system on High Sierra, if not it's not a big deal, but it would be nice.

I still have a working bootable El Captain installation on a separate hard drive I can swap out and boot if need be.

Thanks!!

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Hi,

How much RAM/memory do you have installed? And are you still using MacPro3,1?

I normally stick with SL for my old programs but I do have a spare HDD that I can test HS
Just be aware that my CPU is a M640 verses your M620 so I may not run into the same issue.

Apologies, I was rushing before I went away for a few weeks and I forgot to attach files. I have attached updated files; Please let me know if I have not done so correctly.

Anyways I have been back for a few days now and tried booting the system with debug=0x100 flag and I was able to get to my desktop and had a working battery meter!! I guess I loaded ACPIBatteryManager.kext before I left, then got the KP & reboot loop.
Since, I have managed to get my ethernet working (AppleIntelE1000e.kext), my Audio & volume buttons working (I used VoodooHDA) and I was able to get my internal keyboard working (RehabMan's VoodooPS2Controller).

As of now the 2 (4) things that are not working are;
-Trackpad/Pointing Stick (ALPS from memory not Synaptics)
-SD Card Reader (I have not tried this, Can I just load the old El Captain kext I was using or will it just KP on boot?? I cannot seem to find a new built version of VoodooSDHC for High Sierra)
-Sleep (this wasn't working before and I don't really care if it doesn't again, but it would be nice)
-Internal VGA port (Same situation as Sleep)

I have the System profile Set as MacbookPro 6,2, mind you I have had that in the clover config file since El Captain. My dad use to have the exact same laptop but with an i7-640M, from my understanding the only difference is 2.66 GHz on the i7-620M and 2.8 GHz on the i7-640M both of which are in Apple's 2010 MacbookPro 15" line. I also have my RAM maxed at 8GB 1333 MHz.

Attachments

• debug_9089.zip
    2 MB · Views: 200
Last edited:
Apologies, I was rushing before I went away for a few weeks and I forgot to attach files. I have attached updated files; Please let me know if I have not done so correctly.

Anyways I have been back for a few days now and tried booting the system with debug=0x100 flag and I was able to get to my desktop and had a working battery meter!! I guess I loaded ACPIBatteryManager.kext before I left, then got the KP & reboot loop.
Since, I have managed to get my ethernet working (AppleIntelE1000e.kext), my Audio & volume buttons working (I used VoodooHDA) and I was able to get my internal keyboard working (RehabMan's VoodooPS2Controller).

As of now the 2 (4) things that are not working are;
-Trackpad/Pointing Stick (ALPS from memory not Synaptics)
-SD Card Reader (I have not tried this, Can I just load the old El Captain kext I was using or will it just KP on boot?? I cannot seem to find a new built version of VoodooSDHC for High Sierra)
-Sleep (this wasn't working before and I don't really care if it doesn't again, but it would be nice)
-Internal VGA port (Same situation as Sleep)

I have the System profile Set as MacbookPro 6,2, mind you I have had that in the clover config file since El Captain. My dad use to have the exact same laptop but with an i7-640M, from my understanding the only difference is 2.66 GHz on the i7-620M and 2.8 GHz on the i7-640M both of which are in Apple's 2010 MacbookPro 15" line. I also have my RAM maxed at 8GB 1333 MHz.

CPU PM not implemented correctly.
Injecting plugin-type is not appropriate for your hardware (plugin-type is only for Ivy Bridge and later).

CPU PM not implemented correctly.
Injecting plugin-type is not appropriate for your hardware (plugin-type is only for Ivy Bridge and later).

I should no longer be injecting plugin-type, Doing this changed my sleep behaviour;
Previously, initiating sleep would turn off the monitor & lock the screen.
Now upon initiating sleep the system writes a hibernation file (Excessive disk activity for like 60 seconds after clicking "sleep"), power off the peripherals (wifi, bluetooth, USB, LCD monitors and such) and spins down the hard drive leaving the system on (solid blue power light). In order to get back to a useable system I need to hard shutdown, and at the clover screen select "Cancel Hibernation Wake" (or whatever it's called), without doing that I get an endless reboot loop.

I have attached more files.

This however has had no effect on the trackpad/pointing stick and the SD card reader.

Thank you for your help

Attachments

• debug_13542.zip
    757.9 KB · Views: 122
I should no longer be injecting plugin-type, Doing this changed my sleep behaviour;
Previously, initiating sleep would turn off the monitor & lock the screen.
Now upon initiating sleep the system writes a hibernation file (Excessive disk activity for like 60 seconds after clicking "sleep"), power off the peripherals (wifi, bluetooth, USB, LCD monitors and such) and spins down the hard drive leaving the system on (solid blue power light). In order to get back to a useable system I need to hard shutdown, and at the clover screen select "Cancel Hibernation Wake" (or whatever it's called), without doing that I get an endless reboot loop.

I have attached more files.

This however has had no effect on the trackpad/pointing stick and the SD card reader.

Thank you for your help

Make sure you actually read the CPU PM guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-native-power-management-for-laptops.175801/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back