Motherboard
Dell Optiplex 990
CPU
Intel i5-2400
Graphics
GT 710
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hi all, please could someone help me spec a motherboard for my build. I've got a Dell Optiplex 990 with HD2000 on board graphics. I've tried to get Sierra with no joy :( Could someone suggest a motherboard with on board graphics that I could get running with? I'm just a bit confused with all the hardware out there! :banghead:

i5-2400
4GB 2G, 1333, RAM

:mrgreen:Thanks for any help!:mrgreen:

The Intel Core i chips actually have the on-board graphics built into the CPU, rather than with the older GMA variants where they were the motherboard. Will your Dell Optiplex 990 be able to use a GT 710 GPU? You will find 8GB RAM would be a better base in 2017

Another option is to get an I3 or I5 with HD3000 graphics on chip. Here's one that is low cost and will work.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-R-Cor...989409?hash=item2a7d5ec5a1:g:8qYAAOSwYXVYyujO
Swap out the 2400 for this and you should be able to install macOS for legacy booting on the Dell PC.
Then you can get by without a GPU. HD3000 is just for basic usage, no gaming or graphics intensive work.
+1 for more ram. 4GB is the bare minimum for Sierra. 8GB gives you a better experience when using integrated graphics.

I can easily get hold of another 4GB of ram. So If I get a GT 710 the install should go ok?

Thanks for the reply(s)!

I found a cheap GT710 off Facebook selling. Popped it in and everything installed perfectly. Just need to get sound and wifi working! Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back