Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
dell
CPU
i5 haswell
Graphics
intel
Hi there

I'm lucky to get a free optiplex from work. It's fitted with a core i5 haswell @2,5 and 16go of ram. I want to try to make my hackintosh with it.
I'm lucky not to have to spend any money for the casse, ram, HD, dvd burner and power supply.
My question is, will this MOBO will work or do I have to invest in a new cheap Gigabyte MOBO?
I'm sorry to be a dumbass at computers. I think I'm going to keep Yosemite on it as I find the OS good for what I need except if it's easier to install el Capitan or Sierra.
My question also is, how do I download Yosemite as I'm already on sierra, I can't find in on the app store and don't have any usb or dvd installer.
I don't use the wifi as it will remain a RJ45 connection desktop. I won't use the DVD burner neither.

thanks for you help.

Hi there

I'm lucky to get a free optiplex from work. It's fitted with a core i5 haswell @2,5 and 16go of ram. I want to try to make my hackintosh with it.
I'm lucky not to have to spend any money for the casse, ram, HD, dvd burner and power supply.
My question is, will this MOBO will work or do I have to invest in a new cheap Gigabyte MOBO?
I'm sorry to be a dumbass at computers. I think I'm going to keep Yosemite on it as I find the OS good for what I need except if it's easier to install el Capitan or Sierra.
My question also is, how do I download Yosemite as I'm already on sierra, I can't find in on the app store and don't have any usb or dvd installer.
I don't use the wifi as it will remain a RJ45 connection desktop. I won't use the DVD burner neither.

thanks for you help.

You probably won't be able to legally get a copy of Yosemite, so you should go with El Capitan or Sierra. I know that some folks have been successful with getting OS X running on Dell Optiplex systems, try a search here on the forum to see what you come up with. Then if you have specific questions, post them here. Also, be sure to post the system details (model number, installed hardware, etc.). If you can find out what audio and ethernet chips are onboard, that would be helpful too.

Hi Nob
thanks for your answer.
I red some post here showing there was many issues with booting. As for Yosemite, I think some colleagues at work may have the DVD.
I will give the full specs tomorrow when I have zee Dell in front of me. If the mobo doesn't work I will probably buy a cheap gigabyte for about 70 euros. As I have the rest that would be a shame not trying to make a 70 euros hack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back