Contribute
Register

Dell 7020 - Using only onboard HD4600 GPU - Build Files and Overview for the experienced. 4k ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Googling, there are a small few examples of people who loaded Mojave onto the micros. The problem is that they don't give any details. One guy built a drive in a 9020 SFF and transferred to the micro and it worked!

Googling, there are a small few examples of people who loaded Mojave onto the micros. The problem is that they don't give any details. One guy built a drive in a 9020 SFF and transferred to the micro and it worked!

That’s and interesting idea. The installation may be easier on a SFF or MT but once working the same drive may boot just fine afterwards in a micro. If I had a micro I’d try that out...

@nicksoph and @trs96,
Catalina USB installer working now with your guide and files, along with a few adjustments from a vanilla guide and a workaround for the iGPU. Running with 1440p output on my monitor (it's not 4k) using Iris 5100 with Intel Xeon platform. Will this give me any problems in the long run?

I need to get the rest set up and tested now. Any guides to test performance / make sure the machine is working as it should?

Thanks again for your help to get me running Catalina.

Last edited:
@martin44 - Well done for keeping on going and congratulations for getting it up and working. I suspect that there are likely to be better setups but only because its rare to get everything right without a great deal of knowledge and even rarer to get it sweet first time. That said - the proof of the pudding is in the eating and you will know when things are wrong because it crashes or fails to work. If you are still up for working on this then there are some things that you might do and now you have it installed they are easier to do - take a look at this https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/tool-generate-proper-problem-reporting-files.235953/
and if you can run that script and post the file it generates others might be able to offer specific advice about what you might look at to get it as right as possible.

That’s and interesting idea. The installation may be easier on a SFF or MT but once working the same drive may boot just fine afterwards in a micro. If I had a micro I’d try that out...

I pulled this thread a bit more with the hypothesis that the micro is very similar to the SFF with the exception of only one DP and the VGA port. Found settings for two connectors, i.e. set device IDs for the VGA to tell Catalina I am not using this one; and one DP. Not sure if it will cause issues but for now it looks nice in 2K / 1440p (native resolution of my monitor).

@martin44 take a look at this https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/tool-generate-proper-problem-reporting-files.235953/
and if you can run that script and post the file it generates others might be able to offer specific advice about what you might look at to get it as right as possible.

Thanks for the support and the link. Will look into it in more detail after setting up board serials, desktop and preferences, and connecting to the internet. Also still waiting on my internal M2 WIFI card and adapter.

Thanks for the support and the link. Will look into it in more detail after setting up board serials, desktop and preferences, and connecting to the internet. Also still waiting on my internal M2 WIFI card and adapter.

Hi and sorry I'm late to reply, it seems my email alerts we're going to an old email address. martin44 do you still want my EFI folder? I'd be happy to let you have it. My 9020m still works fine, I've not bothered to look further into the USB issue. I also get an error message occasionally, but just ignore it.

Pete

@Mad_Sunday - Hi Pete, Id appreciate a copy of your efi folder, it would allow me to see the differences. If you are wanting to fix the USB issues then - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-new-beginners-guide-to-usb-port-configuration.286553/ - is a good place to start. What error mesage do you see?

Hi, I'll sort it this weekend, no time at the moment as I'm on nights, and just about to set off for work. I can't remember the exact wording of the error message, I'll let you have that too.

Pete

@nicksoph I hope this link works to my EFI folder.

The error message I get states... "Your computer has detected a potential problem"

And produces an EFI dump, which I haven't studied, but is here...

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back