Intel HD4000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Description
Lets start by saying that this building was not in any way planned, it is the result of having nothing to do in the late hours. There is room for improvement as I took whatever was available to get a proof of concept. The idea now is to fix shorter cables and possibly sleeve them to get a more uniform appearance. Maybe take it a step further and actually build the NUC motherboard into the screen casing instead.

Spec:

Intel NUC DC3217IYE
- Intel Core i3 3217U 1.8GHz
- 2x4GB Cruical 1333MHz RAM
- Intel 525 Series 30GB mSATA SSD

Dell 2007FP
- 1600x1200
- S-IPS panel
- 4 USB 2.0 Ports

Apple wired keyboard
Logitech Performance MX

Apple OS X 10.8.3 Mountain Lion

Construction:
The Intel NUC comes with a plate to mount it on a vesa mount but because the monitors vesa-mount it is taken up by the monitors's own foot, I had to find another way to mount it in the back of the monitor. The solution was to take a flat iron plate and a couple of longer bolts and clamp the vesa-plate on top of the monitor stand. Maybe not the most elegant solution but it works and does no direct damage to the monitor. Most importantly, is that the NUC is mounted steadily and there is no risk that it would come off. The only downside is that the monitor does not go up in the highest position, but that is ok for me because I usually have it in the lowest position.

Purpose:
The idea for the machine is that it will be the central point to manage and administer media such as movies, series, music and pictures. Exactly how is not entirely clear yet other then that it will sit and chew through conversions of video with handbreak and iFlicks to provide an Apple TV with the correct format. The music will be played through Spotify and sent via Airplay to the stereo in the living room and the kitchen.

Economy:
For those interested, here is a summary of what the whole build cost.

Intel NUC DC3217IYE 275 USD
Cruical 2x4GB 1333MHz KIT 30 USD
Intel 525 mSATA SSD 20GB 73 USD
Power cable 4 USD
Dell 2007FP (second hand) 76 USD
OS X Mountain Lion 23 USD
Total: 482 USD

(Prices are converted from SEK to USD with the current exchange rate of 1 USD = 6.54 SEK)

Future plans:
Some gathered ideas to further build on the concept.

- Short sleeved cables
- Better and cleaner mounting
- Wireless keyboard
- WLAN card to avoid network cable
- Single power cable to NUC and monitor
- Some kind of box / enclosure to make it more "clean"
- Larger monitor, preferably one where the stand is not mounted in the vesa mount
- Maybe take it a step further and mount the NUC inside the monitors case for a more real iMac experience
- Install some small usd speakers on the monitor

It may perhaps not be the best looking creation but it fulfills its purpose and at a moderate price

//wurpan

Attachments

• IMG_3542.jpg
    IMG_3542.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 4,551
  • IMG_3544.jpg
    IMG_3544.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 10,208
  • IMG_3546.jpg
    IMG_3546.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 11,910
  • IMG_3552.jpg
    IMG_3552.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 48,621
  • IMG_3553.jpg
    IMG_3553.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 4,266
  • IMG_3557.jpg
    IMG_3557.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 12,775
did you have any issues with uni/multibeast/setup? what settings did you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back