Graphics
HD 5870
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have a 250 GB SSD boot drive and a 4 TB spinning hard drive with an ASUS ROG Strix Z370-I Gaming. At one time, I booted from the 4 TB HD but no longer. Unfortunately, when I power on the computer, the SSD doesn't show up immediately and so the computer tries to boot from the 4TB HD, which of course fails. I have to press the reset button and only then does the SSD show up. But for whatever reason, the computer still thinks it needs to boot from the 4TB HD even though I have the SSD set as the first boot device. Consequently, after pressing the reset button, I have to go the to BIOS boot drive menu to manually select the SSD. This is quite frustrating, so I have a couple of questions.

1. How do I disable the boot loader on the 4TB HD? Can I simply delete the EFI folder on the EFI partition of this drive?
2. Any ideas how I might be able to get the SSD to show up when the computer is first powered on (instead of having to press the reset button on the case) so that the computer can see the drive and start booting without intervention?

Thanks in advance.

I have a 250 GB SSD boot drive and a 4 TB spinning hard drive with an ASUS ROG Strix Z370-I Gaming. At one time, I booted from the 4 TB HD but no longer. Unfortunately, when I power on the computer, the SSD doesn't show up immediately and so the computer tries to boot from the 4TB HD, which of course fails. I have to press the reset button and only then does the SSD show up. But for whatever reason, the computer still thinks it needs to boot from the 4TB HD even though I have the SSD set as the first boot device. Consequently, after pressing the reset button, I have to go the to BIOS boot drive menu to manually select the SSD. This is quite frustrating, so I have a couple of questions.

1. How do I disable the boot loader on the 4TB HD? Can I simply delete the EFI folder on the EFI partition of this drive?
2. Any ideas how I might be able to get the SSD to show up when the computer is first powered on (instead of having to press the reset button on the case) so that the computer can see the drive and start booting without intervention?

Thanks in advance.
as long as your EFI is on your SSD, then no reason you can't delete the EFI folder from your 4TB, use efi mounter or hackintool to mount the EFI on your 4TB and delete the folder

you may need to enter your bios after to remove the entry if is is still there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back