CPU
Deleting this account
Graphics
Deleting this account
Deleted

Last edited:
Deleted

Last edited:
Its possible. Make sure you set your bios to boot from UEFI and disable secure boot. Also if you installed win 10 first, go to your windows 10 disk manager and resize the hdd. Also make sure that your hdd is using the gpt/guid partition table.

One recommendation before starting is that you try and patch your dsdt in windows using the DSDT Editor. Also if you don't know how to patch it, upload it to this forum and someone will help you fix it by modifying it for you.

This thread got buried deep when I originally posted it so I've rewritten it in the hopes of actually getting some replies this time in case there's others in a similar situation or that have the same questions as me.
--
I am an absolute noob. I have done a good amount of searching, read a good amount of guides, and watched a good amount of videos about the process, but I still feel it's necessary to post here because I still need some guidance to be able to get started.

I have a Toshiba Satellite S75-A7221, which comes preloaded with Windows 8 which I have since updated to Windows 10. I would like to dual-boot Windows 10 and OS X El Capitan on the same hard drive (I have plans to eventually buy separate computers for separate operating systems; this is what I'd like to do for now) but I have a few questions about how to begin.

My specs are available here as well as below.

Model: Toshiba Satellite S75-A7221
CPU: Intel Core i7 (4th Gen) 4700MQ / 2.4 GHz (Haswell)
Chipset:
Mobile Intel HM86 Express
Graphics:
Intel HD Graphics 4600, 1600x900 display
WiFi:
Realtek RTL8188EE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC
Storage: 1TB
RAM: 16GB
UEFI.

I have a few questions I can't find the answer to myself.

- Is this a compatible build, and if it is, is there anything else I must do before or after installing OS X for it to work properly?

- I have seen a fair bit about "DSDT" "Patch your own." "You will need to patch your kernel." As much as you can throw guides at me, I can't say I can make too much sense of them. I get that there's some level of Terminal and BIOS preparation but I don't understand the significance of these, or the pros/cons of using DSDT or other additional tools. Where do I go, how do I start, and furthermore, what is it? The page containing the definition of DSDT is broken.

- This is an important one and I am surprised not to have seen it before. I don't know how to get the Windows ISO or how to prepare the USB for Windows -- or if I even need one. I saw a little something about a program called Rufus and a thread or two about reducing the size of the current Windows install and partitioning the drive a certain way so that when OS X is installed on the same drive it will recognize it and respect it. The Rufus method as I mentioned earlier appears to require a Windows ISO, online what appears to be used is the developer pre-release version of Windows 10. I don't know if this is necessary or not seeing as I'm already running Windows 10 Home.

- I don't know how many USBs to buy, or of what sizes. Some guides say one, some say 2, some 3, some even 4, and mixes of 8GB & 16GB. As I stated at the beginning of this thread this is a temporary solution to boot two operating systems. I understand it is best to use two SSDs for each OS but for now this is all I can do.
I am left wondering just where to begin so I don't end up with a laptop without any functional OS at all.

I am sorry to come off as so slow. I am in a kind of rough situation here and I would love some pointers. Thank you in advance to anyone who can offer help.

again, edit -- i'd like to clarify that i haven't done anything to the bios or anything hackintosh related to this computer so far. i have simply updated it to windows 10 since i have bought it. this thread is for getting help about beginning the process and also to get answers to the questions above.

Follow the Clover guide linked from the FAQ.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html

Deleted

Last edited:
If I were to go the route of using a Windows USB would I use the Media Creation Tool for Windows 10 to create the USB? Sorry if it's a stupid question, I just don't see if being discussed anywhere and I'd rather not screw up.

There aren't many guides for dual booting Win10/El Capitan with Clover -- most are outdated, imply certain things never expressed or explained, or utilize methods way over my head.

You install Windows the normal way. Read post #2 in my guide regarding special considerations with Clover.

Deleted

Last edited:
I'm sorry for the headache.

Yes, yes, but in this sense I don't think the way you're talking about applies to me. My laptop came with Windows 8 preinstalled which I upgraded to 10. I have no boot USB or recovery DVD, and that's why I wanted to know if the Media Creation Tool for Windows 10 would be the right way to go or if there were a better, safer way.

You can use Microsoft's tools to create a Windows 10 USB installer.

If I attempted the method involving shrinking the Windows install currently on my hard drive and loading OS X to a new partition by the special directions shared in that thread, which only uses one USB as far as I know, would there be any risk of potentially losing Windows on my machine entirely if something went wrong?

If you make a mistake, you could leave your Windows install un-bootable. It is probably fixable in any case, but you may not have the skills to accomplish it.

You should have a plan for re-install for that possibility...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back