Z68-XP-UD3
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
GTX 660 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Was just wondering what's around the average size of a 10.7.4 stock install (base 10.7 install, + 10.7.4 Combo and nothing else except kexts)?

Mine's saying around 24gb and found that very high. :problem: Just me?

haze295 said:
Was just wondering what's around the average size of a 10.7.4 stock install (base 10.7 install, + 10.7.4 Combo and nothing else except kexts)?

Mine's saying around 24gb and found that very high. :problem: Just me?
A fresh install on a SSD with Lion + XCode and all the other Xcode apps (sorry, didn't check on basic install and don't want to do a fresh install now) -> 26.53Gb on disk, so 24 Gb for base doesn't sound too off line to me.

I was wondering the same thing just earlier...mine was about 25ish.... glad to know i wasnt the only one wondering that.....

looks like ill have to be upgrading my ssd soon......

With Lion 10.7.4 installation size is masked by the OS also showing the space required to hold an image of your RAM (the more RAM the larger the space required).

You can see the actual install size if you look at a clone prior to booting the clone.

A recent install that I did of 10.7.3 updated to 10.7.4 and Multibeast Easybeast was under 7GB as I cloned a clone to a 8GB USB Flash (and booted from the flash).

neil

I did the following in a terminal session:

1) "sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0" (suspend to RAM only)
2) "sudo rm /private/var/vm/sleepimage" (delete sleepimage)
3) "sudo tmutil disablelocal" (disables temporary local TimeMachine Backups)

You can get your actual hibernatemode by typing
“pmset -g | grep hibernatemode”

0 -> suspend to ram only
1 -> suspend to disk only
3 -> suspend to ram and disk (Macbooks default i think)

For my installations with MacPro 3.1 smbios this was always set to "0". So the first step ist not always nessesary. The second step brings the "aha" effect to your free diskspace.

Without step 3 the sleepimage was newly created after the next reboot.

The overall space needed for a clean Lion installation for me dropped from ~23GB to less than 7GB (16 GB RAM).

Search the www for topics like "sleepimage" and "hibernatemode" to get more infomation.

i5osx...thanks!! that helped quite a bit!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back