i9-10900
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Since I did upgrade from Ventura 13.0.1 to macOS Ventura 13.1 the default resolution for my 4K monitor has changed to 1920x1080.
Also my loginscreen after Boot is now x2 larger, like indeed Full HD. I have already reinstalled 13.0.1 and after that everything has been back to the usual 4k default resolution. After an upgrade to 13.1 again the default resolution has gain changed to Full HD.
Before update from 13.0.1 to 13.1
image.thumb.png.0a13461fd2486391e44b26fe1e514b75.png

After update two 13.1
image.thumb.png.b12cf77329df2e8000d626013d73cf72.png

There has to be more people with that issue?
Is there a way to change the default resolution back to 3840x2160? Please help.

Assumption is that you are using the same EFI for both Ventura installs, and are not messing with or changing the GPU or IGPU DeviceProperties. That being the case.

Open System Settings.
  1. Navigate to Displays
  2. Select the Preferred resolution you want to use, i.e. 4K.
  3. Right-click on the 3840 x 2160 Resolution line,
  4. Click the 'Select Default Mode' button.

Screenshot 2022-12-22 at 18.30.49.png Displays Setting pane Ventura 13.1

This should set the Default resolution to 4K (3840 x 2160)

Sadly when you press Select Default mode it does actually what it states. It will only select 1920x1080 as it is the Default set by OS :cry:.

OK, so you will have to wait for the next Ventura release and see if they have fixed this issue.

I have fixed it myself. Add a HDMI cable to your graphics card. Switch to it and set everything to expected resolution etc. Plug off the DP cable and switch the PC off. Start Computer with HDMI plugged in. Resolution was alright. Switch off PC. Disconnect HDMI and connect DP cable again. Turn on PC again. Everything is alright now. Rebooted again and the problem seems to be solved.

And after another reboot it was back. The solution would be using HDMI may be. Has DP oppotunities against HDMI?
Also HDMI only will fall back to Full HD as Loginscreen. So still searching for a solution to have 3840 x 2160 as Default resolution back in Monitor settings.

Last edited:
Which version of WhateverGreen.kext are you using?
Do you have your Comet Lake IGPU setup to run in Headless mode, i.e. with an empty framebuffer?
Are you using a custom SSDT or additional framebuffer patches in your config.plist for your RX 5700 XT?

Which version of WhateverGreen.kext are you using?
Do you have your Comet Lake IGPU setup to run in Headless mode, i.e. with an empty framebuffer?
Are you using a custom SSDT or additional framebuffer patches in your config.plist for your RX 5700 XT?
My version of Whatevergreen is 1.6.2, the latest, I use Headless mode for UHD 630 and don't use a special kext for my 5700 XT. I even have tested it with a 6600 XT and it makes no difference. As I stated earlier, it all happend after upgrade to 13.1. After reinstall to 13.0.1 the Default resolution is back to 4k a it always has been for years. I think even with a real Mac I would have the same experience. Are you using a 4k screen?

@Edhawk This issue still exists with 13.2.1. I have one monitor connected to an RX5500 XT with DP (main display) and the other (extended display) through HDMI. Both are set to 3200x1800@60Hz and will display as such at the OpenCanopy boot picker, Apple loading screen, and at the desktop(s) but NOT at the user log-in. Yet BOTH will revert to 1920x1080 (currently listed as "Default") when I try to select the already running higher resolution as the new default forcing me to reselect the higher resolution on each. Is there a way to edit the default in the preference file? I tried looking into the (/Library/Preferences) com.apple.loginwindow.plist but there doesn't appear to be any graphics keys in there. Is there supposed to be one or am I looking in the wrong place?

Back