Contribute
Register

Debate on correct location for 3rd Party kexts ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite AC-F22 OC 0.8.2
CPU
i7-11700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
In my opinion it is still not clear if the starting hypothesis is true, that all the kexts (with the exception of FakeSMC) really should be in /L/E/ and not in clover/Other or if kexts like Lilu or Whatevergreen should stay in clover/other.
There have been arguments for both sides and I can't decide...

In my opinion it is still not clear if the starting hypothesis is true, that all the kexts (with the exception of FakeSMC) really should be in /L/E/ and not in clover/Other or if kexts like Lilu or Whatevergreen should stay in clover/other.
There have been arguments for both sides and I can't decide...
macOS is "unaware" of the existence of Clover or the path to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other and there may be some circumstances when kexts cannot be loaded from that location.
If you install to /Library/Extensions then that problem does not arise.
However some OS upgrades do not use /Library/Extensions and that is why kexts that are essential to boot the OS must also be located in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other.

Yes P1LGRIM, this facts are clear. But it is no answer to my question.
Aren't Lilu, Whatevergreen, etc. not optimised for the use in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other ?
In other words: If storing all this non-apple kexts in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other makes no problems, isn't it wise to let them where they are instead of risking problems due to have them doubled in /L/E ?

@kiu77,

The guide makes it clear why installing kexts in /L/E (including FakeSMC) is preferential to injecting kexts via Clover.

If an injected kext (from /EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other) crashes or contains Malicious code there is nothing MacOS can do about it as it runs outside of MacOS's protected memory pool.

Having MacOS load all 3rd Party kexts from /L/E should therefore result in a more stable system.

But your free to choose ...

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@kiu77,

The guide makes it clear why installing kexts in /L/E (including FakeSMC) is preferential to injecting kexts via Clover.

If an injected kext (from /EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other) crashes or contains Malicious code there is nothing MacOS can do about it as it runs outside of MacOS's protected memory pool.

Having MacOS load all 3rd Party kexts from /L/E should therefore result in a more stable system.

But your free to choose ...

Cheers
Jay

@jaymonkey

If an injected kext (from /EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other) crashes or contains Malicious code, and it crashed due to that.
Then same way either the "MacOS" can do nothing about it.

If an injected kext (from /EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other) crashes or contains Malicious code, and it crashed due to that. Then same way either the "MacOS" can do nothing about it.

@susudio,

incorrect, if kext is installed in /L/E and loaded by MacOS the kext is monitored by MacOS, if it crashes the kernel will trap it and log it, kexts can be debugged when in protected MacOS memory space. Same goes for Malicious code, MacOS can scan and trap it if it's in MacOs protected memory space, not so if outside (IE Injected).

Cheers
Jay

All good information. So I decided to put all injected kexts in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other.

/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other : All kexts for hackintosh, which are required to make PC simulate real Mac.
/L/E : All kexts for real Mac with signature by identified developer.

For example, when I download a Logitech mouse driver, it will go to /L/E because it's also used in real mac. I don't worry about the malicious code because it would be more fun or easy for hackers to attack systems having kext-dev-mode=1 than systems having kexts in /E/C/K/O. I also don't believe MacOS would protect me from malicious codes. So I use antivirus software and do backup.

It's difficult to recover the system when the kexts in /L/E cause boot troubles. It happens more in hackintoshs than real Macs. If it happens in /E/C/K/O, you can just use other USB stick. I could be wrong but it's my computer.:wave:

All good information. So I decided to put all injected kexts in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other.

/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other : All kexts for hackintosh, which are required to make PC simulate real Mac.
/L/E : All kexts for real Mac with signature by identified developer.

For example, when I download a Logitech mouse driver, it will go to /L/E because it's also used in real mac. I don't worry about the malicious code because it would be more fun or easy for hackers to attack systems having kext-dev-mode=1 than systems having kexts in /E/C/K/O. I also don't believe MacOS would protect me from malicious codes. So I use antivirus software and do backup.

It's difficult to recover the system when the kexts in /L/E cause boot troubles. It happens more in hackintoshs than real Macs. If it happens in /E/C/K/O, you can just use other USB stick. I could be wrong but it's my computer.:wave:

Agreed! You have right logic, right attitude!

Edit: Deprecated, see post #12

I know this is a contentious issue and I am definitely not trying to stir the pot but I think the comments in my recent Mojave Asus Z390 build guide would help consolidate the Others argument.

As per the advice of Pastrychef, I only install kexts in /EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other.

Heresy you say? Consider this:
  1. OSX gets to live in a clean partition of it's own, allowing you to enable SIP mode and run as securely as an OEM Mac
  2. Lilu developers designed it and it's components to be installed in Others (as per their GitHub)
  3. Kexts such as FakeSMC and others are critical to booting, so why install them in /Library/Extensions?
  4. OSX cannot manage kexts critical to booting
  5. Lilu and WhatEverGreen have just about eliminated the need for every patch and most kexts so there are very few kexts to install anyway
  6. Simplifies installation by putting everything in one easy to share EFI folder
  7. Kext updating is a snap with Clover Configurator's built in tool
  8. Eliminates the need for kext installation and permission repair tools
  9. Pastrychef, who has helped hundreds of people, stated that moving kexts to /library/extensions has never helped solve one single issue he has come across
  10. I don't know how or why, my system just feels snappier
Please don't ban me!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back