Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Bad News, IMHO...

Screen Shot 2019-06-06 at 11.51.48 AM.png

Why is it bad news? It sounds great to me. macOS on a protected volume means less chance of corruption.

Sounds great to me too! I’d suggest it gives us options to have a better configuration for user data and the system volume. macOS has always been way too “one volume” designed I think and tinkering with that has odd issues that shouldn’t exist in a Unix os.

Great for Macs, but AFAIK Hackintoshes require modification of the system itself, no? How does one do that on a read-only volume? (Also, I dislike APFS and much prefer the old HFS+ file system.) Hey, the computers I have now will last me the rest of my life... no biggie for me, anyway.

Great for Macs, but AFAIK Hackintoshes require modification of the system itself, no? How does one do that on a read-only volume? (Also, I dislike APFS and much prefer the old HFS+ file system.)

Everything that makes my PC run macOS is done on the EFI partition. My main macOS system partition has nothing "hackintosh" on it.

IIRC Apple's "Apple Graphics Device Policy" had to be modified to solve graphics problems with some Nvidia cards (just from memory). Also a few System/Library/Extensions needed to be added way back when, although maybe now /Library is the repository for everything Hack-related; hopefully that will be retained as read/write. And what about Toleda's audio fixes? Do those reside completely in the boot loader? I recall some very fancy changes made by Terminal.

Last edited:
IIRC Apple's "Apple Graphics Device Policy" had to be modified to solve graphics problems with some Nvidia cards (just from memory). Also a few System/Library/Extensions needed to be added way back when, although maybe now /Library is the repository for everything Hack-related; hopefully that will be retained as read/write. And what about Toleda's audio fixes? Do those reside completely in the boot loader? I recall some very fancy changes made by Terminal.

/Library/Extensions/ has to remain accessible for 3rd party device drivers.

AGDP patches can be done on the fly or just install WhateverGreen.kext.

AppleALC.kext handles the audio for just about every codec out there.

I suspect that it will work similarly to how /var/VM works right now. The VM (where your hibernation sleepimage file resides) became a separate APFS volume in Mojave. While users can see it, we can not write to it unless we disable SIP.

Prior to Mojave, /var/VM/ was just a folder that admins had full access to regardless of how SIP was set.

If my assumption is correct, SIP will need to be enable for this added security layer to work. In order to enable SIP, unsigned kexts will probably need to be injected via Clover.

Last edited:
I've rescued many Mac users from a certain app (that starts with M and ends with r) taking over their MBP, Mac Mini or iMac. (I'm not spelling out the full name for liability reasons.) You probably know what I'm talking about. It's a utility that promises to clean up your Mac, protect it and make it faster. It really does a lot of damage to system files and removing it with brute force techniques often leaves the Mac un-bootable. Eventually a clean install is needed to fix it completely. So in this scenario it will be a good thing that malware can't modify the Catalina system files. I'm all for it.

Last edited:
I've rescued many Mac users from a certain app (that starts with M and ends with r) taking over their MBP, Mac Mini or iMac. (I'm not spelling out the full name for liability reasons.) You probably know what I'm talking about. It's a utility that promises to clean up your Mac, protect it and make it faster. It really does a lot of damage to system files and removing it with brute force techniques often leaves the Mac un-bootable. Eventually a clean install is needed to fix it completely. So in this scenario it will be a good thing that malware can't modify the Catalina system files. I'm all for it.
How did you manage to get rid of it? The only way I could get rid of it on a friend's computer was by wiping the drive and reinstalling macOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back