Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012)
CPU
2,4 GHz Intel Core i7
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB
Hi everyone,
little hardware issue here, with a brand new Kingston 480 Go SSD drive.
I wanted to use it as external, and I started formatting it in APFS.
I simply use a SATA to USB cable, no enclosure, this works like a charm with all my other SSD external drives.

The formatting process failed at about 80% of the routine.
Now, I can't format it again: the drive is not even appearing anymore on Disk Utilty, nor using Terminal (diskutil list).

When I plug it, and when I unplug it, the little red led remains red on the SATA cable, with no reaction.

-I've tried with two other Macs and one PC, with no success.
I've tried hot unplugs, hot plug ins, turning off the computer with and without the SSD plugged into it, and had no difference.
-In order to test the cable: I've tried other SSD drives, using the same SATA-to-USB cable on the same computer: the little led turns blue and everything works fine with all other SSD drives.

Does it mean, my SSD drive is kaputt forever?
Is there any chance I could reactivate it?

Thanks for any help!!
Best from Paris

Thank you chris7418, I completely forgot aboud Diskwarrior, I remember it saved me lots of HDD issues in the past, so I will try it.
I've tried Techtool as well, with no results: the SSD doesn't appear in the hardware list.

I've found this on ALSOFT pages:
"Only internal SSD drives are converted to APFS by macOS 10.13 High Sierra."

I am on High Sierra, and I was precisely trying to format an external ssd into APFS. So, maybe this was the mistake.
Maybe with a Mojave or Catalina OS it'll appear...not sure but I will try.

I ordered a new SATA-USB-C adapter cable, looks like it's the last option I get...
Thank you again for your response

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back