I still didn't read
CPU
the RULES
Graphics
so IGNORE me!
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hey guys,

I hope this is the right category for BIOS MODs. The problem I'm facing is that my BIOS remaps my NVMe to use it with the Intel RST driver. Which is fine in Windows but is really bad on macOS or any Unix-based operating systems as it's some non-standard implementation with no good documentation. Normally it would be as easy as setting the Controller to AHCI (at least for dell laptops) and then you can access the drive normally on any platform. For some reason this isn't possible to do on my Dell Inspiron 7490. There is no option to do that.

For me flashing the BIOS with a programmer is an option if nothing else works. But wouldn't it be possible to set it via efi-vars like it can be done with dvmt prealloc? Kinda like that: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...etting-dvmt-in-insydeh20-bios-laptops.165104/

I attached my extracted IFR file and a BIOS dump. All relevant options are turned off by default if I see this correctly but it definitely is enabled. I tried resetting the BIOS as well.
I hope somebody is able to help me!

Attachments

• Setup IFR.txt
    1.4 MB · Views: 165
  • bios.zip
    5.1 MB · Views: 112
Intel claims there is Linux Kernel and user space support but honestly Ubuntu won't install. In my eyes that is customer harassment by the vendor and I strongly urge everyone to avoid hardware where it is not possible to switch to regular AHCI. In my case it is HP ENVY. Booh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back