Contribute
Register

DAW Compatibility: Don't even **THINK** about upgrading to Mavericks until....

BoomR

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 VISION D
CPU
i9-10850K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. Performa
  3. Power Mac
  4. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
...until you check with all your DAW and hardware vendors to make sure that they have tested & certified compatibility with Mavericks.

I just had to SMH as I read the end of ultrazone's most recent post about getting all fired up to install Mavericks on his master audio build/Golden Build and "try" his audio interface and Pro Tools 10 and PT 11. No offense intended to you, ultrazone, but....

Those of us who have been doing this for years (early 1990's for me with Mac-based sequencers and the very first release of Pro Tools on a Mac IIci + a 1GB Seagate SCSI drive) know all too well that when Apple releases a new OS, the **LAST** thing you want to do is take a stable working studio rig & install the latest Apple OS within days of release.

For the record:
  • AVID DOES NOT SUPPORT Any AVID app (including Pro Tools) on OSX 10.9: Clicky
  • Only Apogee USB audio interfaces (and a couple legacy FW interfaces) currently work with Mavericks. Apogee Symphony I/O (that would be ME) and Apogee GIO Guitar controller/interface ARE NOT SUPPORTED at this time. Clicky.
  • MOTU hardware and software products "...appear to be compatible with OS X Mavericks, although final compatibility testing is still on-going. In some cases, MOTU software updates may be available soon to achieve 100% compatibility." Clicky.

Those are just the few that have hit my inbox, as I own these brands of hardware/software. Sweetwater has done a GREAT job of researching & compiling a list of compatible hardware & software. It has been updated today, October 23 at the time of this writing. Please take a few moments to go read and get yourself in-the-know.

My 2-cents: Please PLEASE don't take a stable music studio build and try to install Mavericks without doing your homework to verify compatibility and support of software, hardware, and drivers. BUT...If you've got a spare HD and have the time to do the install and be your own test lab just for $hits & giggles, I say:
YOU GO, GURL! :headbang:

Don't even **THINK** about upgrading to Mavericks....

Thank you - GREAT info!

I just had to SMH as I read the end of ultrazone's most recent post about getting all fired up to install Mavericks on his master audio build/Golden Build and "try" his audio interface and Pro Tools 10 and PT 11. No offense intended to you, ultrazone, but....

No offense at all BoomR !

I've just written on my thread explaining some details about my way to "try" new OSes, software and/or hardware.

Thanks !

No offense at all BoomR !

I've just written on my thread explaining some details about my way to "try" new OSes, software and/or hardware.

Thanks !

I just now read that - thanks!! :) And will be curious to hear your results on the Mavs install on your spare drive & how nicely (or not) it plays with PT 11 :ugeek:

In other forums I have read that Logic X works just fine, also it appears to be little faster.

In other forums I have read that Logic X works just fine, also it appears to be little faster.

Honestly, that was the DAW app I was worried *least* about - only because Apple always seems to do a nice job of making sure they keep their own house in order with all of their Pro Software apps (making sure that they are supported at launch by new rev's of OSX). My post was really more about "everyone else" LOL :)

I am about to test-drive Logic Studio X on my "day job" laptop which is now running Mavs. :headbang:

Avid pulled the same crap when 10.8 was released. They didn't tell anyone about the fact they hadn't finished an upgrade installer, so a sh!t-ton of us upgraded and were stuck. I had to install Lion on another partition and run my sessions on there for 2 weeks until they got their heads out of their a$$es.

They'll have a patched installer for Pro Tools 10 & 11 within a week or so, because this is how Avid works. They detonate the explosives while they are still in the building, so instead of stepping out of the way in the first place as to not get hit with a bunch of crap, they have to dig their way out of trouble. I think they work better under pressure maybe lol.

Since I'm a very long time Mac user, I never, never, never upgrade a production system to a newly released OS X on my production system(s) until
  1. drivers/updates are available and
  2. the apps and OS bite-me-in-the-behiny bugs are fixed.
Thus, I wait for the 10.x.3 release. :thumbup:

So, BoomR's advise is sage advise.

I don't know if it's true of any other Tascam models, but the driver for my US-2000 appears to function normally (I haven't had any issues recording since updating, anyway).

Back