Motherboard
ASUS z270-a
CPU
Intel Gen 7 i5
Graphics
ASUS GeForce GTX 1060
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
This is a sad day indeed! I built a Hackintosh exclusively for 4k video editing with Davinci Resolve 14 and after I got everything else up and running, Resolve won't run stable on this machine! :(

Here's the specs: Asus Z270 Prime MOBO, Asus GTX 1060 3GB GPU, Intel i5 Processor, 16GB of RAM. I've tried changing a variety of settings inside Resolve like switching from CUDA to Open CL with no change in behavior.

I get two very consistent results which seem to happen randomly. First is Resolve outright crashes after a few minutes of editing. Second is I get the spinning beach ball of death. Both happen very randomly either on the Media, Edit or Color tabs.

Would LOVE to hear from you Resolve users about the stability of your systems and if you have any suggestions!

Thanks in advance!!

Did you check the hardware recommendation from blackmagic for 4K?
Did you try to edit with proxy file media?
I als have Davince Resolve 14 running but no problems here. I have GPU processing mode on Auto.
I have 32Gb of intern memory

I honestly don't find the recommendations from Blackmagic very helpful. They don't get very specific in terms of suggested GPU's and I don't really know if I should be following the Mac or PC recommendations given that I'm running on a Hackintosh?

Should I be using Proxy or not using proxy??

I downloaded the free version of Resolve 14 and edited and exported a short movie(1080p) with zero problems, including simple color correction and a VST dynamics compressor on the audio.

HS 13.1/HFS+

I wasn’t even able to instal High Sierra successfully so I’m still running Sierra. Everything works fine (except for AirDrop) and other apps are stable. Just something about Resolve isn’t happy.

After some time I’m starting to realize most of the problems are happening in the Edit tab when interacting with the timeline with 4K footage from my GH5.

Are you running Studio or the Free version? GH5 footage is pretty hellish on the CPU. Your system specs are kinda weak for Resolve, especially if you're working in 4K. i5 will have a tough time with those 10bit h.264 files, and a 1060 is under-spec'd for 4k.

Sigh! What would you recommend? i7 + 1080? Would increasing RAM to 32 help at all?

Well, yes, ideally. You're basically describing my system and I've been grading several features on it in 4K with no issues whatsoever. Crashes are extremely rare for me. Although, if I were to consider upgrading to a new CPU, I'd hold off to see what the deal is with the new iMac Pro CPU's. Also, I would consider moving up to the new Intel Coffee Lake CPU's.

I am using a GTX 970, i7 3700k, 16GM ram and High Sierra. I have found resolve can be very buggy. Version to version it seems to change, check you are running the most recent version, the early release of 14 I found terrible but it is much more stable now and rarely crashes. I would also recommend checking you have the latest Nvidia and Cuda web drivers installed.

Have you tried other software like Adobe Premiere/After Effects? I find that complex timelines with dynamic links to after effects can crash the graphics and either reboot or log me out if I try to render and multitask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back