Intel HD4000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello,

It's been bugging me for some time now, but I can't seem to find a solution for this problem. I have a VAIO E laptop and its built-in camera is too dark in OS X. In Windows it works fine, but that's because there's an option in webcam settings that handles low light conditions.

I've tried multiple solutions for this problem, but none of them worked. iGlasses doesn't get it bright enough, and it doesn't let me control the exposure, which, I've heard, is the actual problem. macam doesn't recognize my camera. The program from http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook-4530s/65330-fix-dark-camera.html makes it either too dark or too bright, and the exposure setting doesn't do anything. I've also tried plugging in my vendor and product ID into AnyiSightCam.kext, but when I try to look at the camera, all I see is pink and green horizontal lines.

The vendor and product ID is 174F:144D, and according to the Internet it's a Syntek camera. I'm running Yosemite 10.10.4. Can anyone help me with this problem? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: now that I look at it, brightness isn't the only thing that's wrong with the camera. The image seems to be much clearer in Windows than in OS X, which makes me think that simple brightness adjustments won't do the trick and to fix it, something needs to be done with the camera drivers.

Last edited:
Hello,

It's been bugging me for some time now, but I can't seem to find a solution for this problem. I have a VAIO E laptop and its built-in camera is too dark in OS X. In Windows it works fine, but that's because there's an option in webcam settings that handles low light conditions.

I've tried multiple solutions for this problem, but none of them worked. iGlasses doesn't get it bright enough, and it doesn't let me control the exposure, which, I've heard, is the actual problem. macam doesn't recognize my camera. The program from http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook-4530s/65330-fix-dark-camera.html makes it either too dark or too bright, and the exposure setting doesn't do anything. I've also tried plugging in my vendor and product ID into AnyiSightCam.kext, but when I try to look at the camera, all I see is pink and green horizontal lines.

The vendor and product ID is 174F:144D, and according to the Internet it's a Syntek camera. I'm running Yosemite 10.10.4. Can anyone help me with this problem? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: now that I look at it, brightness isn't the only thing that's wrong with the camera. The image seems to be much clearer in Windows than in OS X, which makes me think that simple brightness adjustments won't do the trick and to fix it, something needs to be done with the camera drivers.

Does System Information display a serial# for the camera in the USB section?

Does System Information display a serial# for the camera in the USB section?

There's only two properties, model ID and unique ID. I assume unique ID is the serial number.
Model ID: UVC Camera VendorID_5967 ProductID_5197
Unique ID: 0x1a130000174f144d

EDIT: Found it in the USB section. There's no serial number, but there's a location ID.
Product ID: 0x144d
Vendor ID: 0x174f
Version: 7.09
Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: Sunplus IT Co
Location ID: 0x1a130000 / 3
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 500
Built-In: Yes

There's only two properties, model ID and unique ID. I assume unique ID is the serial number.

Cameras that don't show serial# are problematic. No known solution...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back