Graphics
Dual EVGA GeForce GTX 460 1GB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
So I've used the CustomBeast installer you guys made for me to get my system up and running (thanks again for the installer!). I'm able to get just about everything running right out of the box, but I seem to be having some network issues. Here is what is going on, hopefully someone can fill me in on what I've done wrong here.

After the initial install of OS X, before running the Combo Update and CustomBeast, I can use Time Machine to create a backup of my computer with no problems. It is set to backup to a NAS unit to a sparsebundle file <computer name>_<mac address>.sparsebundle. After installing the Combo Update and CustomBeast, the TimeMachine backup no longer works. Instead of using the already created sparsebundle file, it tries to make a new one called <computer name>.sparsebundle. Important to note that for some reason, it has dropped the <mac address> part which I think is the key to the problem.

Now if I just move past the Time Machine problem and go ahead and run a full Software Update, my network completely stops working after a reboot. The network acts like there is no cable plugged in and self-assigns an IP address.

Here is how I'm running my setup:
1.) Boot from iDisk-GE
2.) Remove iDisk-GE once it gets to the tonymacx86 themed screen and insert my Snow Leopard CD
3.) Once the Snow Leopard CD boots, I go to Disk Utilities and setup my hard drive, then I install OS X using the default options
4.) Boot from iDisk-GE after install is complete
5.) Select newly created Snow Leopard drive to boot from
====> At this point Network and Time Machine works <=====
6.) Run the Combo Update, then CustomBeast, then reboot without iDisk-GE disk
====> At this point Network works, but Time Machine doesn't <====
7.) Run full software update and reboot
=====> At this point, Network and Time Machine no longer work <====

Anyone have any ideas?

Re: CustomBeast TimeMachine/Network problem [SOLVED]

Using the Lnx2mac drivers solved the issue of my network completely going out after a full software update. Oddly enough, the Java update was the one killing it.

Even after using the Lnx2Mac drivers, I still was not able to use Time Machine to a NAS unit. To solve this issue, I had to inject EFI ethernet strings. Without using EFI, the network adater would show up as FALSE for built-in in Networkinterfaces.plist. After injecting the EFI strings, it shows up as TRUE and Time Machine works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back