Contribute
Register

CustoMacMini 2014 - Intel NUC Haswell i5-4250U - Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didi you do something special ?
The sound has appeared only after removal of a patch "port 0x05 DP to HDMI pipe 0x09".
Before the sound was only through HDMI.

@Spartach, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard or Make/Model, CPU and Graphics Card.
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

Success ... at the moment.

After getting the 2017-003 security update for El Capitan to install on my Nuc, it wouldn't boot. A recovery install of El Capitan left things bad....namely rolled back to Safari 9.x, and the only update that was offered was the 2017-003 again. So, I took the plunge the upgrade to Sierra.

At first, no WiFi or Sound. Sound was expected, WiFi was....not sure. Also desktop would blank out after about 1.5 minutes, about the time where it would pickup my second monitor. I could ssh in, and everything seemed to be running, but messages about being not entitled for displays or something... Bluetooth appeared to be working though.

I fiddled around a bit injecting different kexts, tried AppleALC.kext/Lilu.kext, but that resulted in a panic boot looping, after recovering from that and in browsing the forums, decided to go with AppleHDA_ALC283.kext from RehabMan's Lenovo-U430-Touch-DSDT-Patch. A couple of iterations of that with more panics or no display, etc. Was about to give up on it, when I decided to try tweaking my SSDT's (namely SSDT-HDEF, changing layout-id 1 to 3) and adding in additional KextPatches from RehabMan's NUC5 guide. The pair that caught my attention were the two antipop ones. While AppleALC.kext got pitched, I threw in AirportBrcmFixup.kext and IntelGraphicsFixup.kext into my inject.

Had started with trying to adapter SSDT-NUC5, but got lost for a bit...and while it compiled, opted to not try it. Had gone back and forth between whether layout-id 1 or 3 was the correct one.... but apparently settled on 3.

Rebooted. and presto, I had sound....and I had WiFi. The display start up is stilll glitchy....it'll start up with mDP (primary) and then about 1.5 minutes later it'll go blank and sometimes eventually bring up both displays, or stay blank requiring power cycling to get displays back (reboot works, but the displays don't come back...something probably still not quite right somewhere...)

So, in the end, only changed SSDT-HDEF.aml (though I had generated a new SSDT.aml, but ssdtPrGen and OS version string differences, it was otherwise the same.)

For kext injection, I previously had:

FakeSMC.kext + ACPI/CPU/GPU/LPC Sensors
FakePCIID.kext + FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext
IntelMausiEthernet.kext

Had CodecCommander.kext and AppleHDA_ALC283_out.kext in SLE and BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext/BrcmPatchRAM2.kext in LE.

Now for kext injection, I have took out FakePCIID.kext + FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext, and added Lilu.kext, AirportBrcmFixup.kext, IntelGraphicsFixup.kext and LiluFriend.kext....

Switched AppleHDA_ALC283_out.kext for AppleHDA_ALC283.kext (from Lenovo-U430...)

Since I don't use HDMI audio (I did have it working at one time, but abandoned it, and disabled it in BIOS, as having it on prevents sleep and there's no volume control.), so neither the old (0x05 DP to HDMI pipe to 0x12) or new (0x05 DP to HDMI pipe 0x09) are used, and most of the other patches were also tossed, only Trim Enabler got kept from before. What got added were the four AppleHDA ALC283 patches from LenovoU430 (where only two are applicable for Sierra)... AirPortBrcm4360 - fcvo, 10.12.x and 10.11.dp BT4LE-Handoff-Hotspot patches + two AppleHDA anti-pop, and the "AppleHDA ALC262 to ALC283" patches from NUC5.

Oh, and added "Mobile - false" to SMBIOS, though have been trying to figure out if I can get nut to work on it, to maybe to get signaled from my from fileserver when the UPS is about to go down (though I need to replace the batteries in it, so it'll be more than a few seconds...)

Haven't tested Continuity/Handoff, but the tool says its running.... Though instant hotspot doesn't appear....it used to though. (though don't use it that often on NUC, but would be more useful on HP2570.... though I also have a separate LTE hotspot....) Need to get around to installing apps on the laptop someday. Could use some kind of package management tool to keep apps in sync on all three of my Macs or something....

Anyways...can stop running net.tomsick.antipop on my NUC now.

If only Displayport MST worked with macOS....driving both monitors using mDP might work better. Would often get snow at first on wake for the HDMI port....while the mDP display has been pretty solid (though it did take trying 5 different mDP adapters first...)

The Dreamer.

Hello

Its been a long time since I have been here - hopefully somone can help.

I had been running El Capitan on my Intel NUC D54250WYK perfectly. Everything was working, Wifi, Bluetooth, Ethernet, sound etc. (thanks mainly to Sebinouse talking me through it all)

However, I decided to upgrade to Sierra - whole thing went pear shape and no longer worked.

I by following guides I have managed to get Sierra working again (complete reinstall using Unibeast and then Multibeast. It all worked perfectly but no bluetooth or Wifi.

I went back to this guide https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-el-capitan-on-the-intel-broadwell-nuc.171942/ and used the guides towards the end under optional network setup - this got the bluetooth working perfectly.

However, still not Wifi? I have the AzureWave Broadcom BCM94352HMB 802.11/ac/867Mbps WLAN + BT4.0 Half Mini PCI-E card - which worked perfectly before.

I even went back to this guide https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...intel-nuc-haswell-i5-4250u-el-capitan.177275/ and added the Kext patches but still no wifi?

Any suggestions?

@designerbob, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard or Make/Model, CPU and Graphics Card.
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

However, still not Wifi? I have the AzureWave Broadcom BCM94352HMB 802.11/ac/867Mbps WLAN + BT4.0 Half Mini PCI-E card - which worked perfectly before.

Did you at least skim through my post above yours?

Anyway, in reading other posts, it looks like the key change to get WiFi working again on mine, was the fcvo kextpatch. Not sure about all the other things I had thrown in there.... See "Common Problems in 10.12 Sierra"... https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/readme-common-some-unsolved-problems-in-10-12-sierra.202316/

Still one issue to solve....seems to be mouse related..if I scroll at just the wrong moment, the system freezes solid. Have to power cycle to get life back. (made sure I had latest Logitech drivers, since it claimed Siera fixes...have also tried without the Logitech drivers...) Oh well....perhaps getting a new mouse will solve things :p

Well because i'm interested in a non-humming ALC283 i did the following :

1) extracted a fresh appleHDA.kext with Pacifist from the Sierra installer and replace the existing S/L/E/appleHDA.kext with it
2) downloaded "audio_cloverALC-120_v1.0d.command" from the link above
3) run the commandfile with answers: 283, inject, 1
4) remove appleACL from Clover & reboot.

Result: non-humming Sound !!! :) on my birthday
thanks fluffhead

It's a pity the AppleALC method is humming, I like the Clover-approach better then the patching.
But i tried v. 1.0.8 1.0.9 & 1.1.0: all result in buzzing sound..

thx, help me a lot

Well because i'm interested in a non-humming ALC283 i did the following :

1) extracted a fresh appleHDA.kext with Pacifist from the Sierra installer and replace the existing S/L/E/appleHDA.kext with it
2) downloaded "audio_cloverALC-120_v1.0d.command" from the link above
3) run the commandfile with answers: 283, inject, 1
4) remove appleACL from Clover & reboot.

Result: non-humming Sound !!! :) on my birthday
thanks fluffhead

It's a pity the AppleALC method is humming, I like the Clover-approach better then the patching.
But i tried v. 1.0.8 1.0.9 & 1.1.0: all result in buzzing sound..

Works perfect! CloverALC can be download here: https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverALC
No AppleALC found, did nothing for it.
When "audio_cloverALC-120_v1.0d.command" run, care of config.plist changed and "
realtekALC.kext" generated under kext.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back