Contribute
Register

CustoMac Pro Build and won't POST to BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
motherboard or system make & model # > See Rules!
CPU
i7 > need model # > See Rules!
Graphics
Nvidia > need model # > See Rules!
I followed the March 2014 Buyer's guide for the CustoMac Pro with the following options:

GA-Z87X-UD7-TH
Intel Core i7-4770K
GEForce GTX 760
16 GB 1600MhZ DDR3 (8x2)
Corsair RM 650
SATA 6Gb/s 250GB SSD

I bought the components directly from the links provided, but I can't get past BIOS.

I took it all apart and I've only connected the bare components (MOBO, PSU, RAM) in order to troubleshoot. I continue to get LED debug code of 15 and 19 which is Pre-memory North-Bridge initialization and Pre-memory South-Bridge initialization.

One thing I noticed build guide links you to [h=1]Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) CL8 @1.5V UDIMM 240-Pin BLT2CP8G3D1608DT2TXRG[/h]
and this RAM is not listed as a verified RAM on Gigabyte's website but on Crucial it states it is compatible. I tried the memory stick on another computer I have and they work fine. So I don't think it's bad RAM.

I've tried all the following
1. CMOS reset
2. Ram sticks on slot 1 only, Slote 1 and 3, Slots 2 and 4 even no RAM

Any ideas? I can't even get to the BIOS right now.

My prime suspects; PSU,mobo or processor...I would start with the PSU. You should be able to eliminate the PSU fairly easily if that other system you have is easily accessible. It'll be a pain but that's where I'd start. I've seen dodgy PSUs exhibit some strange system behaviour.

Edit: Another thought, maybe the BIOS itself is pooched. Can you try reflashing it?

Used main BIOS and secondary backup Bios and still can't get past POST.

I don't have a meter, and everything seems to have power, like fans, RAM lighting up etc. Could it still be PSU?

My hunch is that the RAM on the buyer's Guide isn't compatible. Going to order one that is listed from Gigabyte's site.

If anyone else had issue and got past it, let me know.

I would be surprised if it is merely a compatibility problem with a component like RAM. You said you tried the RAM in another system and it worked, did you try the other systems RAM in your system?

I did switch ram from another computer and put the ram I bought in the old computer. New ram works in old computer and old ram doesn't work in new computer so it looks like the ram is fine.

Does it shut itself down? Or does it just remain frozen?

Thanks for everyone helping.

After purchasing new PSU, MOBO, RAM, and pretty much every component. Turns out I had to Breadboard it and realized that a FAN was causing a short. Drove me nuts as I knew something was wrong when I basically bought a new set of components.

In the end, I had error 15 and 19 and it was in a reboot loop. I couldn't get to BIOS at all. I couldn't POST to BIOS. After removing the short, I can say that I following the guides on this board to finish my build. http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-h...byte-ga-z87x-ud7-th-multibeast-options-4.html

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back