Graphics
Aorus Radeon RX 580 8Gb
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi there, sorry for both my english and the fact I'm a newbie in hackintosh...
I'm considering to build a CustoMac Pro with the configuration of august 2016 recommanded here. I would use a
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH as a motherboard. My issue is : could I buy and mount 2 graphic cards on it ? The recommanded one is EVGA GTX 950 with 2Gb of memory, which is not enough in my (video) work. And even if I could mount two... would it be detected by the hackintosh ?
Well... looking forward to read your advices about it !

I'm considering to build a CustoMac Pro with the configuration of august 2016 recommanded here. I would use a
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH as a motherboard. My issue is : could I buy and mount 2 graphic cards on it ? The recommanded one is EVGA GTX 950 with 2Gb of memory, which is not enough in my (video) work. And even if I could mount two... would it be detected by the hackintosh ?
If you'd like to use any Nvidia card in the Buyer's Guide you can do that. If a GTX 970 4GB is capable of doing what you need to in your work, go with that. The 980 Ti is also a good choice if you will work with 4K content. SLI does not work in a Hackintosh, they will be seen as two separate cards.

If you'd like to use any Nvidia card in the Buyer's Guide you can do that. If a GTX 970 4GB is capable of doing what you need to in your work, go with that. The 980 Ti is also a good choice if you will work with 4K content. SLI does not work in a Hackintosh, they will be seen as two separate cards.

Thanks a lot, I've only seen EVGA GTX 950 in the list and did not opened the full list ! Are any of these graphic card compatible with the Gigabyte motherboard I told ?
And (sorry again) I don't understand the difference between for instant EVGA GT 740 (4Gb DDR5 - 140€) and EVGA GT 970 (also 4Gb DDR5 but 400€)...

Thanks a lot, I've only seen EVGA GTX 950 in the list and did not opened the full list ! Are any of these graphic card compatible with the Gigabyte motherboard I told ?
And (sorry again) I don't understand the difference between for instant EVGA GT 740 (4Gb DDR5 - 140€) and EVGA GT 970 (also 4Gb DDR5 but 400€)...
The 740 is not what you want for video editing. It will not fully utilize the 4 GB of Vram it has. I've seen the 970s selling for as little as 230 USD (200 Euros) recently. You may need to do some looking around for better prices. You might possibly even get one shipped to you from another country if the price is significantly less. Where is it that you will be buying hardware from ?

It's really like a very first look and understanding of how I can get it working. I built my computers for windows 98 and XP when I was a young teenager then discovered Mac and always bought original ones since then... So I'm discovering it all again !
Price is not really the matter (well, it always is but as I work on my computer and use it four to five years, I'm ready to put the price to have something working very well and for long). I try to better understand why these price differences for products that appears to me to by the same on paper... and with this difficulty to be sure it will be fully recognized and used by OSX later... And above all, I like tweaking and learning IT stuff...
Would you have any good documentation to adress me to better understand the basics (differences between good and not good chips, errors to not do...) ?
Thanks again for your advices man, means a lot to me and hopefully for others !

It's really simple. Pick the best you can afford from our Buyer's Guide, build it as you would any other PC. Watch videos on Youtube to learn the latest techniques. So if you want a build to last 4 years get the UD5-TH with a 6700K and then also get a
GTX 980 Ti. If you can wait for support, get the GTX 1070, run Windows first, then install OS X later when the 1070 has drivers from Nvidia. If you need to understand more than that search with Google for basic info about differences in specific graphics cards. We don't spoon feed you that info, you'll need to look it up yourself.

All right then thanks ! I surely wasn't expecting you to take 10 hours to teach me all the basics, but maybe to direct me to some trustful sources of information ! But anyway, I'll go with my own researches, no problem ! My issue is about to not select pieces which would not work well together...
Cheers !

Yes, you can mount 2 GPUs and they will be detected by OS X as long as there are drivers for them.

Personally, I preferred the 4GB GTX980

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back