HD4000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi

I build a hackingtosh a few years ago, but kinda lost track of what's out there hardware wise.

My Macbook (2012) is getting to slow for editing my photos and video, and Apple's machines are just way to expensive.

I figured i would try the hackingtosh again. I do have a few requirements. I'm not looking to have a big tower. Ideally a mini-itx build. It needs to be able to support my Thunderbolt Apple Cinema Display and also my thunderbolt hard drives.

Like I said, I'm not sure what to buy, so looking for some advice in terms of motherboard, graphic cards, cpu etc.

I did do some research, but it doesn't seem like there is a lot of people using the Apple Cinema Display, and it's important that I can use that. Will any motherboard with support of thunderbolt with with my display or do I need to look for something specific?

All the help is much appreciated! :)

I have no idea about ThunderBolt support. But I would assume that the Display can work using Display Port also, that is very much supported.

As for the drives... I just chuck them inside, no need for a external unit!

I'm quite sure that the Display Port doesn't work with the Thunderbolt display. Can anyone confirm this?

I'm quite sure that the Display Port doesn't work with the Thunderbolt display. Can anyone confirm this?

I found a video on YouTube with a build that uses the Thunderbolt Cinema Display. I think this is what he does.

Run's the graphic card signal through to a Thunderbolt card and then out. Has anyone tried this?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815548001

YouTube video:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back