1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm assembling the system below and have run into a couple of problems.

Motherboard
GA-Z87N-WIFI
CPU
Intel Core i7-4770K
RAM
16GB 1600Mhz DDR3 (8x2)
Crucial Ballistix Sport
BLS2KIT8G3D1609DS1S00
Drives
250GB SSD Samsung
840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW
Power Supply
Silverstone ST60F-PS
Case
Silverstone PS07
Graphics Card
EVGA SuperClocked
02G-P4-2765-KR
GeForce GTX 760 2GB
Optical Drive
LITE-ON DVD Burner
Model iHAS124-14 - OEM
Card Reader
Ultra U12-40529 Aluminus 3.5"
Internal Card Reader

The first problem deals with the Card Reader. I'm installing it in one of the external drive bays. Silverstone supplies 3.5 to 5.25 Brackets and and a 3.5 Bezel. However, the mounting tabs on the Silverstone Bezel interfere with the 3.5 to 5.25 Brackets and the Reader can't slide far enough forward to protrude through the Bezel. I have just discovered the Ultra makes its own 3.5 to 5.25 Storage Bay Adapter with its own Bezel, so getting one of those should fix the problem.

The second problem seems more difficult. The PS07 Case has 2 Fans. Each has an in-line 3-prong female connector. The Motherboard has 1 System Fan Header and 1 CPU Fan Header. Both of those connectors are 4-prong in-line male. Their pin-outs are also different with one being for 5V and the other for 12V. So, the question is how to go about connecting both fans?

Thanks!

After a 3rd search, I found this thread:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-h...6-how-run-multiple-fans-ga-z87n-wifi-itx.html

However, it deals mostly with a Fan and Pump for a CPU Cooler. But, in the last post is this:

"The splitter you linked will work fine. The power is supplied from the PSU with only the tachometer and PWM wires hooked to the motherboard. I am using the Rosewill 12-Inch PWM Splitter to supply power to a PWM CPU fan and two PWM case fans being controlled by the CPU_FAN header on the Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI.

The SYS_FAN header is not a PWM controller and is actually a voltage controlled header that applies a constant +5 volts to the PWM wire. It is better to use a three pin fan on it."

The last sentence suggests that there would be no speed control. If that is the case, why not power it directly from the Power Supply?

Anyway, I'm having difficulty finding a 2:1 Y Cable that will connect the Fans to the System Fan Header. It's not entirely obvious which one to choose from looking at the newegg listings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back