Contribute
Register

CustoMac Mini 2013: GA-H87N-WIFI - Core i3-4340 - Intel HD 4600

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes you can use the i7-4770S with this motherboard. Wattage of the CPU is 65w max TDP which is similar to most of the i5 and i3 options. Just keep an eye on temperatures if running in a compact case as you would with any other processor.

Good Luck

Adrian B

Great and Thanks !

I chose it because it only needed 65W.

I couldn't resist the new Fractal Design 304 so I'll have plenty of space for my old Noctua-cooler (with one or two drivebays removed).

node304w_883x677a-300x230.jpg

Great and Thanks !

I chose it because it only needed 65W.

I couldn't resist the new Fractal Design 304 so I'll have plenty of space for my old Noctua-cooler (with one or two drivebays removed).

View attachment 79656

Its a nice case and looks good in white - nice clean looking lines. As you say it has plenty of space for the excellent Noctua cooler. :headbang:

Adrian B

Hello everyone!

I was thinking about this build but on a bit higher specs, I was thinking to have an i5 4670 as processor. and then the case would be the Antec ISK-110 VESA with 90watt power.

I've read the thread of bitdoctor that he was able to run an i7 Ivy-bridge + H77N-Wifi but the i7 Ivy-bridge has a Max TDP of 77 watt while the i5/i7 Haswell has a Max TDP of 84 watt so I don't know if the 90watt power of Antec ISK-110 VESA can accommodate it? or its better with the i3 4330 since it has a Max TDP of 54 watt?

and in my country, there's only a small difference in price between the H87N-Wifi vs Z87N-Wifi, is there any performance difference between the two? besides that you can only Overclock with Z87 chipset? and if I choose the Z87, will there be an increase in wattage?

as for the cpu cooler, will there be an additional wattage if I replace the Intel Stock Cooler with Noctua NH-L9i?

I was thinking also about the Asus Maximus VI Impact, I've read about didii's Claire9 Haswell build, and in the 10.9 he/she was able to run the the built-in wifi/bluetooth of M6I then sadly gone at 10.9.1. if ever that I choose this board will there be a performance difference between the gigabyte Z87/H87N-Wifi? and would there be an increase in wattage/power consumption? and since it has a 8pin power socket? by the way, I'm not sure if the Antec ISK-100 VESA has an 8pin, can I plug the 4pin cable to 8pin socket? or should I use a 4pin to 8pin power cable adaptor like this?

http://www.dhgate.com/product/10-pcs-lot-atx-4-pin-male-to-8-pin-female/77931826.html

since I'll be using the IGP, is there a graphics performance difference between the three? impact,Z87,H87? or nothing since they all use Intel HD 4600?

and lastly I'll be using an Asus MX279H/VX279H as monitor, which is best to use, DVI or HDMI? I've read that there are problems with the HDMI? something about sleep/wake or audio? is there a solution to the problem? do the DVI doesn't have any problem?

Hello everyone!

I was thinking about this build but on a bit higher specs, I was thinking to have an i5 4670 as processor. and then the case would be the Antec ISK-110 VESA with 90watt power.

How about the 4770S. Low power = low temps = less noise

and it still performs good enough.

cpus.png

Hello everyone!

A 90w power supply has little in the way of headroom for power requirements - I would not be happy with less than about 180w - many of the cube case nodders and iMac nodders using the Intel NUC think the same.

I've read the thread of bitdoctor that he was able to run an i7 Ivy-bridge + H77N-Wifi but the i7 Ivy-bridge has a Max TDP of 77 watt while the i5/i7 Haswell has a Max TDP of 84 watt so I don't know if the 90watt power of Antec ISK-110 VESA can accommodate it? or its better with the i3 4330 since it has a Max TDP of 54 watt?

See previous answer

and in my country, there's only a small difference in price between the H87N-Wifi vs Z87N-Wifi, is there any performance difference between the two? besides that you can only Overclock with Z87 chipset? and if I choose the Z87, will there be an increase in wattage?

The only real difference is if you used an unlocked processor on the Z87 board as it would allow over clocking of the processor - that would require additional power to be available from the PSU and would need a bigger more powerful PSU option to facilitate a safe over clock.

as for the cpu cooler, will there be an additional wattage if I replace the Intel Stock Cooler with Noctua NH-L9i?

Not that I am aware of - these fans use tiny amounts of power - any difference either way will be unnoticeable.

I was thinking also about the Asus Maximus VI Impact, I've read about didii's Claire9 Haswell build, and in the 10.9 he/she was able to run the the built-in wifi/bluetooth of M6I then sadly gone at 10.9.1. if ever that I choose this board will there be a performance difference between the gigabyte Z87/H87N-Wifi? and would there be an increase in wattage/power consumption? and since it has a 8pin power socket? by the way, I'm not sure if the Antec ISK-100 VESA has an 8pin, can I plug the 4pin cable to 8pin socket? or should I use a 4pin to 8pin power cable adaptor like this?

http://www.dhgate.com/product/10-pcs-lot-atx-4-pin-male-to-8-pin-female/77931826.html

didi's Clair9 Haswell build has a 720W PSU. Use a suitable PSU and forget about a 90W pico for a build like this - it is not suitable on any level.

since I'll be using the IGP, is there a graphics performance difference between the three? impact,Z87,H87? or nothing since they all use Intel HD 4600?

No

and lastly I'll be using an Asus MX279H/VX279H as monitor, which is best to use, DVI or HDMI? I've read that there are problems with the HDMI? something about sleep/wake or audio? is there a solution to the problem? do the DVI doesn't have any problem?

DVI-D is the general preference for using with a monitor. There can be instances where HDMI/DVI-D ports may need to be properly mapped for a configuration to work.

Adrian B

Hi again Adrian B! :D

Thanks for your response. :) I'm trying to build now my 2nd hackintosh as my 1st one is successful thanks to you! because you help and guide me along the way. thanks! :)

Im trying to build now a minimalistic one that I can hide/hook in the back of the monitor thats why I was amazed with the build of bitdoctor. whats why I would like to try his build but a haswell one.

what I was thinking is to have these spec,
i5 4670 + Noctua NH-L9i
8 or 16GB 1600 ddr3 Corsair Vengeance
20GB Samsung 840 Pro

then either H87N-Wifi or Maximus VI Impact. on the Antec ISK110. then use IGP then hook up on MX/VX279H as I'm just using it again for entertainment and watching movies.

isn't the 90watt PSU enough to power the Max TDP 84 watt? it still have remaining 6watt? because after these I have no plan to upgrade it anymore. if ever, I'll be creating new one again.

and choosing with the two motherboard? which one would be the best to choose? will there be a Performance difference between the two?

Thanks for your response. :) I'm trying to build now my 2nd hackintosh as my 1st one is successful thanks to you! because you help and guide me along the way. thanks! :)

Im trying to build now a minimalistic one that I can hide/hook in the back of the monitor thats why I was amazed with the build of bitdoctor. whats why I would like to try his build but a haswell one.

i5 4670 + Noctua NH-L9i
20GB Samsung 840 Pro

then either H87N-Wifi or Maximus VI Impact. on the Antec ISK110. then use IGP then hook up on MX/VX279H as I'm just using it again for entertainment and watching movies.

isn't the 90watt PSU enough to power the Max TDP 84 watt? it still have remaining 6watt? because after these I have no plan to upgrade it anymore. if ever, I'll be creating new one again.

and choosing with the two motherboard? which one would be the best to choose? will there be a Performance difference between the two?

I'm running this build with an i3-4330 in the Antec ISK-110. Even for the i3 the 90w PSU is too small - it works, but I need to be careful till I get a replacement.
In your case it's even worse. Calculation:
i5: 84watt
Board: 10-15watt
RAM: 3watt per dimm
SSD: 3watt

So the whole system uses 103-108W, which means you'd need at least 120W. Since the case is too small for a normal PSU you'll need a picoPSU. If you buy one with 120W it will probably have a peek of let's say 150W, which means it will not get damaged if the system consumes more than 120W for a few seconds. But you still need some more power since every USB device you attach will add to the calculation - means: get at least 150W (costs about 80-90€ here in germany).
Which leads to the next problem: when using the 150W picoPSU, you cannot use the standard plug anymore. The 150W pico comes with a 4 pin connector which you need to mount on the case.
A hint: in many shops they sell the picoPSU with 150W and the external PSU, which will be attached to it, with 120W only. Make sure you get a combination where both are 150W.

//EDIT:
Just a side note: The case and it's psu aren't designed to house and power this mid-range hardware like the i5 cpus. This case is designed for small, low-end systems like Intel Atoms with very low power consumption.
In the end you have 2 choices:
a) get a bigger psu
b) get another case (like the one mentioned in the OP)

Thank you for the kind words. I am happy that your first build has been such a positive experience.

I love the bitdotor build, its one of my favourite simple no frills builds. I have always wondered how his power supply hasn't burned out as it is not up to the job.

i5 4670 + Noctua NH-L9i
20GB Samsung 840 Pro

A good strong spec for a small build

Then either H87N-Wifi or Maximus VI Impact. on the Antec ISK110. then use IGP then hook up on MX/VX279H as I'm just using it again for entertainment and watching movies.

The Asus board is a nice board too. Here is a good example:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...imus-vi-impact-i5-4670k-gtx-650-ti-boost.html

This has been answered on this page by another poster - so I shall not repeat. I suggest that you have a look in the case mods section of the forum at some of the pico type PSU solutions that have been used particularly in some of the G$ iMac and Cube modification builds. There is a wealth of good information - go over and mingle.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/case-mods/

I think that the Asus may be a more expensive consideration - so it may have either higher quality or additional specification over the Gigabyte. Check if the Wifi is compatible or if it needs to be changed.

Good Luck

Adrian B

I got the exact hardware listed in the guide:
GA-H87-WIFI, i3 4330, corsair vengeance ram etc. I am getting absolutely nowhere with this, I built the 2011 CustoMac Mini with no trouble at all.

I removed 1 of the ram modules so I have 1 stick at 4gb, i set bios to optimized defaults, set initial display to IGFX, disabled Intel Virtualization but I see nothing about VT-d which every article says to disable, I'm running F4 bios and it simply isn't there.

The HD is plugged in to sata 0 from what I can tell, with no other drives attached, just mouse, keyboard and external dvd drive plugged in to usb ports. I've tried display output thru both hdmi ports and dvi using dvi/hdmi adapter. I'm attempting to boot with a Haswell iBoot cd, then Snow Leopard disk because I can't use unibeast to create usb installer on my iBook G4 as far as I know.

I'm dying here, what can I do? Thanks for any responses...

Below is pic of KP.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lw449a83wq4gps6/WP_20140117_025.jpg

Below is pic of Bios showing VT-d isn't an option where it should be.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tlrps4fup0fmww2/WP_20140117_028.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back