Contribute
Register

CustoMac Mini 2012 in a Macintosh SE casing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very cool build, I have fond memories of these from when I was pretty young in school. How are your temps? I noticed you don't seen to have any case fans and your PSU vents are blocked by the case. Also I would recommend a DVI to VGA adapter vs an HDMI to VGA to solve your resolution issues.

Thanks!

So far I haven’t noticed any heat issues. But there is a chassis fan, I just forgot to mention it :)

I mounted one inside the existing grid. You can see the screws on the back.
IMG_0723 copy.jpg
But maybe I should make some hole in the shell around the PSU.

As I understand it, the motherboard doesn’t support analog video. So I need an active adapter. Do you think there is a better chance of success with an active DVI to VGA adapter? I thought the price was the difference :)

It was something like THIS I bought.

Wow! I love that SE case mod! I just did a hack into a 2u case. Full disclosure PDF on that here for a d/l:

http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/view.php?id=5766706&da=y

But your link just goes to a login page.

...As I understand it, the motherboard doesn’t support analog video. So I need an active adapter. Do you think there is a better chance of success with an active DVI to VGA adapter? I thought the price was the difference...

Oh, interesting It might just be your motherboard but it's worth a shot with an inexpensive DVI adapter. I'm surprised you don't have one laying around, I thought every computer geek had at least one in their junk pile :)

EDIT: According to Gigabyte the DVI port is a DVI-I port, which supports either digital or analogue monitors. I think that HDMI is only backwards compatible with DVI-D which only supports digital displays.

Oh, interesting It might just be your motherboard but it's worth a shot with an inexpensive DVI adapter. I'm surprised you don't have one laying around, I thought every computer geek had at least one in their junk pile :)

EDIT: According to Gigabyte the DVI port is a DVI-I port, which supports either digital or analogue monitors. I think that HDMI is only backwards compatible with DVI-D which only supports digital displays.

Thanks for your input.

I felt a bit stupid when reading your reply. Because I do have a non active DVI to VGA adapter in my junk pile but I haven’t tested it on this build :D
But the reason for this is that I read several posts in the Official CustoMac Mini 2012 thread that it wouldn’t work.

And today I have confirmed this. The screen works when booting up but the image get stuck on the gray screen with the Apple logo. So the motherboard supports analog video but the Mountain Lion does not? Hmm, I'll have to look into this a bit more...

And today I have confirmed this. The screen works when booting up but the image get stuck on the gray screen with the Apple logo. So the motherboard supports analog video but the Mountain Lion does not? Hmm, I'll have to look into this a bit more...

Hey Loftman...can you tell me more on this, Im trying to rig a pico projector which sadly had a damaged HDMI input, meaning Im left with only an analog input. Is there a solution? I have tried my old Apple DVI-s-video, video, and via the HDMI to DVI to video, both-nothing. Thanks.

I really love the micro ITX platform. Wish I learned about it a bit sooner, now all my computers are running the latest ivy bridge processors and z77 motherboards. I would feel really wasteful buying a new case and motherboard just to have a smaller MicroITX computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back