Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H LGA 1150
CPU
i7-4790k
Graphics
GTX 960
Sorry if these questions sound a little bit noobish but while I consider myself decent with computers this will be my first time building a CustoMac.

I am looking to build the “CustoMac Pro” from the Jan 2015 buyer’s guide. The suggested graphics card is the “Evga GeForce GTX 760”. I notice that this graphics card, as well as the GTX 760s from the other 3 suggested manufactures in the guide, are difficult to find in stock from a reputable seller. True that the random seller on Amazon or EBay will sell you one at a 30% premium with 3 week shipping…but Newegg and Amazon-as-seller are out of stock usually. Why is that do you think? Is NVidia getting ready to release a new line of graphics cards and so manufacturers have stopped making these (and if they are should I wait for that release)? Or has the CustoMac buyer’s guide inspired so much demand that noobs like me are perpetually searching for these specific cards? Do you think there will be more in stock later on or should I grab the next one I see available for fear that they will be perpetually out of stock?

Also, the buyer’s guide always links to the 2gb versions of this card (the GTX 760), but I notice there are 4gb versions available from some of the listed manufactures. If an “EVGA GeForce GTX 760” 2gb model is compatible with a plain vanilla OS X install and no web drivers or configuration needed, is it safe to assume that the “EVGA GeForce GTX 760” 4gb model would work just as well or would I be opening the door to additional tweaking? Of course I would prefer to get the 4gb model but it is more important to me to keep this build as simple (in terms of configuration and compatibility) as possible, hence my sticking with the suggested parts list.

I appreciate any help, thank you.

GTX 960 was just released today. We will test it eventually. Only comes in a 2GB version
right now but that will likely change later on.

Wow, good catch. That definitely explains why the 760s are becoming hard to find. And the 960 for $200 looks much better than the 760 at $330. I'll wait and see how compatible they turn out after Nvidia releases a web driver for it.

But back to the 2gb vs 4gb conundrum. If a 2gb card is compatible with OS X (say for example the 2gb gtx 760, or if later on this 2gb gtx 960 proves to be) is it safe to assume that the 4gb version of that same card by the same manufacturer would be just as compatible?

Thanks again for the help.

If you read through the user builds you'll find many that use a 4 GB GTX 760 so I would
assume it will be the same for the 960.

Perfect, thank you for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back