Contribute
Register

CustoMac for Music Production

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

I am new to Hackintosh and I will soon order my very first setup. I am an music production entusiast, doing some webdesign jobs and will maybe edit a couple of lighter videos in the future! I don't play games often, but I would like to have the ability in the future as well.

Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH, Socket-1151
EVGA GeForce GT 740 SC - 4GB GDDR5
Intel Core i5-6400 Skylake - 2,7GHz (i7 processor is a bit out of my budget...)
Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 16GB
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5"
TP-LINK TL-WDN4800
Corsair RM650x 650W PSU
Corsair Carbide 300R

1. Will this setup do the job?
2. Will this setup also work with Sierra?
3. Can I use the internal GPU and later buy the GT 740?

HOPE you can give me some advice!

Sorry if I forgot some of the rules in this forum, like I said, I am new here... :)

Last edited:
Hello!

I am new to Hackintosh and I will soon order my very first setup. I am an music production entusiast, doing some webdesign jobs and will maybe edit a couple of lighter videos in the future! I don't play games often, but I would like to have the ability in the future as well.

Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH, Socket-1151
EVGA GeForce GT 740 SC - 4GB GDDR5
Intel Core i5-6400 Skylake - 2,7GHz (i7 processor is a bit out of my budget...)
Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 16GB
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5"
TP-LINK TL-WDN4800
Corsair RM650x 650W PSU
Corsair Carbide 300R

1. Will this setup do the job?
2. Will this setup also work with Sierra?
3. Can I use the internal GPU and later buy the GT 740?

HOPE you can give me some advice!

Sorry if I forgot some of the rules in this forum, like I said, I am new here... :)

asander127,
the build should work. The thing is that I don't know what is required for what you want to do with web design jobs or light editing videos. I can tell you that the parts you pick you should get OS X to work. i7 not in your budget, can you squeeze in an Intel i5-6600k instead? So to answer your questions:

1. Don't know, sorry. I just don't know what you would need to run the programs you want.( Strong CPU?, Strong GPU?)
2. This setup will should work with Sierra using GPU.
3. You can use Intergrated Graphics but there is a reported problem with it. There is a glitch in Sierra on the top left corner. Using a GPU will eliminate that problem. There is a fix to the glitch here:
Skylake Intel HD 530 Graphics Glitch Fix

If you cannot get a GPU and don't want that glitch go with El Capitan. Hope this helps.

asander127,
the build should work. The thing is that I don't know what is required for what you want to do with web design jobs or light editing videos. I can tell you that the parts you pick you should get OS X to work. i7 not in your budget, can you squeeze in an Intel i5-6600k instead? So to answer your questions:

1. Don't know, sorry. I just don't know what you would need to run the programs you want.( Strong CPU?, Strong GPU?)
2. This setup will should work with Sierra using GPU.
3. You can use Intergrated Graphics but there is a reported problem with it. There is a glitch in Sierra on the top left corner. Using a GPU will eliminate that problem. There is a fix to the glitch here:
Skylake Intel HD 530 Graphics Glitch Fix

If you cannot get a GPU and don't want that glitch go with El Capitan. Hope this helps.

6600K is a processor without a Cooler. Should I go for a H60 water cooler then?

1. I am going to be working in Logic Pro X, with maximum 30 tracks, both VSTs and Audio recordings. I have a small studio in my apartment and I am using a lot of Native Instruments plugins. Web Designing in HTML, PHP, CSS and such doesn't require much, so we will skip analysing that...

2. Perfect! It costs a little bit more than some other boards on this page, but people say it's great for upgrating components later, nice build.

3. Alright... Maybe I should stay using El Capitan til I purchase the GPU.

Hi,

I am also new to Hackintosh and exploring what would be good for a similar use.
To me the Asus Maximus VIII serie looks better for audio.
Thats' quit all I found already and can say.

6600K is a processor without a Cooler. Should I go for a H60 water cooler then?

1. I am going to be working in Logic Pro X, with maximum 30 tracks, both VSTs and Audio recordings. I have a small studio in my apartment and I am using a lot of Native Instruments plugins. Web Designing in HTML, PHP, CSS and such doesn't require much, so we will skip analysing that...

2. Perfect! It costs a little bit more than some other boards on this page, but people say it's great for upgrating components later, nice build.

3. Alright... Maybe I should stay using El Capitan til I purchase the GPU.

Hello asander127, you can go with a liquid cooler or if your budget doesn't have room you can go with this:
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120 mm PWM Fan
It has excellent reviews but it is rather big and it can be difficult to install. I believe it will fit in the case you are planning to get. The good thing about having a "k" processor with a "z" board is the option to overclock. If you don't want to overclock or want to wait till later to overclock you can get a standard cooler. Right now I have an Intel i7-4790k in my main build using a stock cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back