Contribute
Register

CustoMac Desktop USB Fixes - 10.11+ Reference

I thnk I was wrong. 70/100 is not that bad

I have an issue with the USB ports not working reliably, sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. I have just used Windows to acquire files from USB but my daughter finds this 'inexcusable' so I guess it is time too fix it. However, the fix seems to be predicated on what 'series' my motherboard is. The options appear to be 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 or 100 series.

My question: What is a 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 or 100 series motherboard? How do I figure out what i have? Sorry if it sounds dumb but i just don't know and it appears to be a prerequisite for applying the fix.

Thanks for clarification of what appears to be a kindergarten question

PS I am running a El Capitan 11.5 & Windows 10 dual boot system.

I have an issue with the USB ports not working reliably, sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. I have just used Windows to acquire files from USB but my daughter finds this 'inexcusable' so I guess it is time too fix it. However, the fix seems to be predicated on what 'series' my motherboard is. The options appear to be 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 or 100 series.

My question: What is a 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 or 100 series motherboard? How do I figure out what i have? Sorry if it sounds dumb but i just don't know and it appears to be a prerequisite for applying the fix.

Thanks for clarification of what appears to be a kindergarten question

PS I am running a El Capitan 11.5 & Windows 10 dual boot system.

You're board is series 9.

Hello, I need a little help.
I have installed El Capitan and I work all except USB 3.1, I do not know if this port can be El Capitan, if so I would know how. If there is no way to make it work as I would like x 3.1 unless you recognize how 3.0.
My specifications:
Motherboard - ga-z170x gaming 5-eu Processor - i7 6700k.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this is of any use to anyone, but I have created a python script, which can be used to enable/disable USB ports on Series 100 boards, without the use of a kext.

https://github.com/cnrd/GA-Z170X-UD3-OSX/raw/master/zips/USB-SSDT.zip

The script works by injecting 2 SSDTs (Could probably be combined to one), one configures HUBC and UMAP, the other is a modified version of xh_rvp10, that is modified slightly to configure the USB port type (0x01, 0x03, and 0xFF).

You can find some more information about how this works in Pike's blogpost.

I have only tested it on the GA-Z170X-UD3 motherboard (Which is also the motherboard that the script is currently configured for), but it could be adapted for other motherboards.

I have a 6 series board but it has an Etron EJ168 chip for USB.

Fixes for this chipset? Or am i SOL.

No solution for Etron EJ168, Reneses. Support in 10.11+ is not great.

Back