Contribute
Register

CustoMac #4 (GA-Z68X-UD5-B3) Silky Smooth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Install went smooth, got 11.7K Geekbench out of this board but I am throwing in the towel. While 10.7 runs well on this thing, for what I paid it is (like the other 4 GB boards I have owned) just too much of a pain in the arse to deal with. Setup an RMA to switch it out with an Asus P8Z68 Deluxe.

To those who bought this board, I am not slamming it and it will work fine, its just not to my taste and having setup my HTMac on an Asus P8P67 Pro, it just feels like a better product in every possible way. I guess once you go Asus you don't go back? Anyhow, good luck!

Hi brisc0, can you provide a little more info on why, exactly, you don't like this board? I'm looking to purchase my first hack soon, and I've been looking at the gigabyte boards. Your post is curious, however, since you originally said it was very easy to get OSX up and running without many problems, and that it was very fast. What changed your mind in the end? Why is it such a pain in the arse? A specific list of reasons why gigabyte isn't a good choice for you, and why ASUS is better, will be of great help. Thanks!

brisc0 said:
Install went smooth, got 11.7K Geekbench out of this board but I am throwing in the towel. While 10.7 runs well on this thing, for what I paid it is (like the other 4 GB boards I have owned) just too much of a pain in the arse to deal with. Setup an RMA to switch it out with an Asus P8Z68 Deluxe.

To those who bought this board, I am not slamming it and it will work fine, its just not to my taste and having setup my HTMac on an Asus P8P67 Pro, it just feels like a better product in every possible way. I guess once you go Asus you don't go back? Anyhow, good luck!

I'm now debating getting this board, what dsdt did you use

lxlifestream said:
Does the Radeon 6870 work straight out of the box?

If not, could you point me in the direction to get it working 100%

I'm building from custoMac#4 as well
Including HDMi....any DSDT edits etc you need to do.....this sounds 2 gud 2 b true..... :clap:

I have the same card, but under "About this Mac" my Graphics section says "ATI Radeon HD 6xxx 1024 MB". Did you have to do anything to make yours say 6870 instead of 6xxx?

henrygale said:
I have the same card, but under "About this Mac" my Graphics section says "ATI Radeon HD 6xxx 1024 MB". Did you have to do anything to make yours say 6870 instead of 6xxx?

But does everything work on it? If so, whats it matter?

lxlifestream said:
henrygale said:

But does everything work on it? If so, whats it matter?
ocd :lol:

tomhukk said:
Hi brisc0, can you provide a little more info on why, exactly, you don't like this board? I'm looking to purchase my first hack soon, and I've been looking at the gigabyte boards. Your post is curious, however, since you originally said it was very easy to get OSX up and running without many problems, and that it was very fast. What changed your mind in the end? Why is it such a pain in the arse? A specific list of reasons why gigabyte isn't a good choice for you, and why ASUS is better, will be of great help. Thanks!

Okay, first off it was a very easy board to load a clean install of Lion on. I stand behind that. My problem is that after going out of town for the weekend and coming back, I booted up the system, Lion loads 200x slower and then once its up I can use the mouse, but the keyboard won't respond. I then troubleshoot for four hours straight to no avail. In frustration I walk away, get something to eat, come back and the keyboard works. I then test 3 times booting, no keyboard, let it sit at login window for about 20 minutes and BAM the keyboard works. Having been out of town, knowing this system worked 110% before I left, I know I haven't screwed anything up. This makes me unhappy. To blow off some steam I boot into WIN7 to play some games... guess what? It takes the keyboard 20 minutes to start working... Into bios, load optimized defaults, same thing. Board must be hosed.

No big deal right? Hardware failures happen? Well, this is my 7h Hackintosh, I have used MSI Windbox, Dell M17 Laptop, GA-EP35-DS3, GA-EP35-DS4R, GA-EP45-UD3L, Asus P8P67 Pro, and GA-Z68-UD5-B3. Of these builds, The Asus and Windbox are the only two that worked without any trouble. Every single Gigabyte board I have owned has either had post issues, funky USB compatibility, the list goes on and on. This board, being 280 bucks was the last straw. I hear that the Asus P8Z68 Deluxe doesn't even need DSDT it is so vanilla compatible and I like the sound of that. Oh, plus the fact that the Asus BIOS is 1000 generations beyond the Gigabyte.

Is that enough? LoL sorry for the rant! Hope this helps.

Again, the loading of OSX on this board is quite easy, but you know what they say about a polished turd right?

still a turd...

henrygale said:

/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Extra/com.apple.boot.plist

Need to have
<String>Graphics Enable</String>
<key>Yes</Key>

To accomplish this you need to copy it from Extra to your desktop, edit it, and copy it back over the one in /Extra.

lxlifestream said:
brisc0 said:

I'm now debating getting this board, what dsdt did you use

F7 Bios/F7 DSDT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back