Graphics
GTX 980 TI
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Some of the 10.6.8 drama with this board had me kind of freaking out. It just arrived yesterday and to be honest I bought it because it was listed as a CustoMac and didn't even search around thinking it wouldn't be a problem to load OSX on it.

And, well, its wasn't a problem at all. I updated my BIOS to F7. Once updated I put Lion on a thumb stick, and installed it to an OCZ-SOLID 6G SSD, took about 12 minutes. I then rebooted, copied the DSDT in the database to the desktop and ran multibeast with:

UserDSDT, System Utilities, ALC8xxHDA, AppleHDA Rollback, IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector, all 3 network checks boxes, 64-bit apple boot screen

Installed, rebooted, done. This thing is FAST, check out the screens below:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-07-21 at 6.46.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-07-21 at 6.46.53 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,232
  • Screen Shot 2011-07-21 at 6.55.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-07-21 at 6.55.20 PM.png
    163.5 KB · Views: 1,187
My upgrade of SL to Lion was anything but smooth with this board, but it looks like I finally got it all working. Time will tell.

Had tons of trouble booting to the Installer partition. I had to remove sleepenabler.kext from the SL drive and then boot to the Installer drive using Arch=1386. That puts the system in 32bit mode. Once Lion was installed, I used Multibeast to re-install the 64bit mode. Also had to reinstall the audio kexts.

Just as a question, did you use the 10.6.8 xmove method or fresh install of Lion?

Excited! I just ordered this CPU / Motherboard combo. The biggest difference is I will be running a 580GTX Fermi (should be an interesting battle)

frankae said:
Just as a question, did you use the 10.6.8 xmove method or fresh install of Lion?

Not sure if you're asking me or not, but I used xmove and installed on top of 10.6.8. It was a battle, but I won the war! <knock on wood>

I did a fresh install.

I guess its not fair to say I was 100% smooth. There was one curious issue. I could not for the life of me get anything to boot with my SSD attached. Once I pulled it I could do whatever I want. The trick here is that my SSD had my 10.6.8 install on it (that I was just going to wipe out). Interestingly enough I just slapped it into an external enclose and formatted it and then everything would boot fine with it. Not sure if there was some residual 10.6.8 funk on it or what. 10.6.8 was just bad medicine.

Does the Radeon 6870 work straight out of the box?
If not, could you point me in the direction to get it working 100%

I'm building from custoMac#4 as well

Yes, it worked 100% right OOB. I didn't have to do anything to make it work. I have tested with the XFX Radeon 6870 and the XFX Radeon 6870 Black Edition (dual fan models) works 100%.

Thanks a bunch,
Of all the Radeon 6870, which one would you suggest?
The black edition?
They all seem the same, except the black edition has 940mhz core clock, and the gigabyte has 915... but doesn't the gigabyte have more fans?

So, which would you recommend?

lxlifestream said:
Thanks a bunch,
Of all the Radeon 6870, which one would you suggest?
The black edition?
They all seem the same, except the black edition has 940mhz core clock, and the gigabyte has 915... but doesn't the gigabyte have more fans?

So, which would you recommend?

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/12/ ... d_review/9

If you read that benchmark article thoroughly, you'll see that the black version of the card provides marginal performance upgrades and nothing noticeable in terms of gameplay experience. I was able to grab a brand new XFX Radeon 6870 for $154.99 CDN after mir so I'm quite happy about that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back