Contribute
Register

CustoMac #4 (GA-Z68X-UD5-B3) Silky Smooth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is speedstep working? Is USB 3.0 fully functional? Also, would you say that this board is more "vanilla" than the gigabyte board? Any other benefits over the gigabyte board? What do others think? Thanks for the update! Looking forward to the guide. You just made my decision that much tougher! :D

lxlifestream said:
Thanks a bunch,
Of all the Radeon 6870, which one would you suggest?
The black edition?
They all seem the same, except the black edition has 940mhz core clock, and the gigabyte has 915... but doesn't the gigabyte have more fans?

So, which would you recommend?

Dude if you like silence the xfx 6870 black is one of the quietest cards on the market, even under load.
Heres an in depth review with benchmarks compared a stock 6870 and many other cards.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4137/amds ... -edition/1

Quote "At the risk of spoiling the rest of our article, this card is for all practical purposes silent. At idle it’s only as loud as the noise floor of our GPU testbed, and at load – even under Furmark – it’s the same story. We measured 41.4dB at both idle and load, making it the quietest actively cooled mid-range card we have ever tested in our existing rig."

I have the Gigabyte HD6870. I was worried about noise due to its 3 big fans, but I never hear the thing.

brisc0 said:
oops I got my keys and strings backwards... really sorry

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
no problem! i think i will leave graphics enabler off for now

brisc0 said:
Alright, fully switched to the P8Z68 Deluxe and its the freaking bomb... I am going to drop a post on the specifics of the build and reference the already great guide thats available on the boards. In a nutshell I did a clean Lion install, no DSDT, Multibeast for audio/network/USB3 only and have sleep working 100%. The Asus is so close to vanilla its crazy. My geek bench only went up about 250 points on avg, but the board performs so much better in the post/config/etc.
i have a p8p67 pro and i can't get sleep to work.. do you think you can post which kexts you installed? thanks!

I am still having issues with the Customac #4 and I am hoping someone has some suggestions, here is what is happening. I have OS-X Lion installed on my system, the system boots just fine but when I use the system for a couple of minutes, eventually I get the spinning pinwheel :beachball: and the system becomes unusable. I can still move the mouse at this point, but I can't switch between windows. SOMETIMES if I let the system sit, it will become responsive again after 30-60 seconds, but not most of the time. I was also having an issue getting into the BIOS, but after reflashing F8 I am able to get back into my BIOS and make changes.

Here are my system specs and some thoughts I was having in regards to each.

- GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 (I was having issues getting into the BIOS at first, but this appears to be resolved)
-Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K
- G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL (I tried both auto and setting my own timings and voltages and I am still having issues.)
-OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-240G 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (UPDATED TO LATEST FIRMWARE)
-GIGABYTE GV-R687OC-1GD Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP
- SIIG 3 Ports FireWire 800 PCIe Card Model NN-FW0012-S1

So I am stuck, but I have a few things I thought I would try to troubleshoot this..
1. Remove the SSD and clone to a physical hard drive for testing to rule out the SSD drive.
2. Remove the SIIG card to make sure that firewire is not the culprit, although I have removed all peripherals.
3. I could order the RAM recommended in the customac #4 and used by others in their builds.
4. Could it be the board? If so I would have to open a ticket with Gigabyte and attempt to RMA the board. That would really suck, but if that is what it takes to fix this.

I am really looking for suggestions everyone. This is so frustrating and any suggestions would be appreciated.

Joe

I finally figured out my issue. My brand spanking new SSD that I was so happy to purchase just flaked out on me. This means that I have to replace it and run off of a clunker hard drive in the meantime.

Not a HUGE deal, but certainly a pain in the butt considering I just purchased it JUST over a month ago. Now I have to deal with an OCZ RMA as opposed to just sending it back to Newegg for a new one.

Joe

I have the GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 and it's run pretty well except for some minor usb issues, I ended up plugging my keyboard into another plug. good enough solution for me :D it could also be that this is a store brand $5 keyboard and it sucks and the keys stick but still...

Has anyone tried installing the Chimera 1.5 update and does anyone have any feedback?

Joe

Question is sata6 working on this? in lion?

planning on using sata 3 ssd for boot and then 1tb sata 6 for other files.

And no usb 3 for this currently correct?

Thanks

roumys said:
Question is sata6 working on this? in lion?

planning on using sata 3 ssd for boot and then 1tb sata 6 for other files.

And no usb 3 for this currently correct?

Thanks
Not sure about USB 3.0 as I don't have any USB 3.0 devices, but SATA III 6Gbps seems to be working on my 1 tb Seagate Barracuda, I believe it was this one :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822148697

Anyways here's what my System Information page looks(on 10.7):
screenshot20110831at546.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back