Motherboard
X299 Asus Prime Deluxe II
CPU
i9-9940X
Graphics
Radeon Vii
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've been building Hackintoshes for like 7 years. But I've always hated the struggle with x99 since my last one 2 years ago so I gave up and I started this Custom water-cooled build as a winter project this past Feb.2016. Bending tubes, installing rads and water blocks. You can watch my whole Water-cooling build Log here on my YouTube channel if you are into that. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjyCoUBxH7MWylcHrONhOr7zozHBZyp5B

Im a photographer / cinematographer and tech geek so I thought I would build a beast editing rig and overclock the crap out of it and work from Windows 10. But honestly It's the worst work flow compared to OS X so I decided to Hackintosh this system with much better success! Since this is basically the last iteration of El Cap (10.11.6) I felt it was worth it to install this over Sierra (10.12) Theoretically It should be more stable.

5.jpg

Build specs:
Asus x99-A usb3.1
Evga Gtx 980ti
intel i7 5820k (@4.3ghz)
Corsair LPX 32gb DDR4 3200mhz
Samsung 950Pro M.2 250gb (windows)
Samsung 850Pro (OS X El Cap)
2x Samsung 850Evo 500gb (raid0)

Water-cooling specs:
Hardline tubing
EK x99 Asus Monoblock
EK TitanX water block and black plate (fits the 980ti)
Vari D5 pump
AquaComputer Aqualis 150mm pump top / res
Darkside 360 Rad
Darkside 240 Rad
Fractal 2x140mm Venturi HP-14
Fractal 3x120mm Venturi HP-12
Bitfenix recon fan controller (3rd party software works in OSX!)

Other info:
27" Apple Cinema Display
Old bluetooth dongle (works oob)
Apple bluetooth Keyboard and Magic Mouse.

I'm not nearly as smart as most on here. I just had a hard time finding any guides with similar hardware. If you have questions you can check out Giacomoleopardo's guide here.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/giacomoleopardos-workstation-triplet.199643/
Obviously this motherboard isn't quite the same as his is the 'II" version but everything is running smoothly other than on-board audio because I never tried to get it to work since I use a usb interface and also my USB Astro headset for audio. (They work) Hopefully this can help someone out with a X99-A USB3.1 and a 5820k

---------------------------------------------
First we need to setup the bios

Step.1

BIOS UPDATE

Make sure to install the newest BIOS 3402 (Nov.2016)
-------------------------------------------------

Step.2

BIOS settings:
EXIT

-Load optimized defaults

Ai Tweaker set
-Ai Overclock Tuner *XMP*
-Asus Multicore Enhancement *Disabled*
-CPU Ratio *I have mine set to 43 for a 4.3ghz overclock* you can leave this in auto for some speed steps so it's not locked in.
-Internal PLL Overvoltage *Disabled*
-DRAM Frequency *Set it to your RAM MHz* (Mine is 3200MHz)
*Disclaimer: I'm not responsible if you burn out your CPU* you can set your CPU voltage to whatever you need to get it to run stable I have mine set to 1.25v @ 4.3ghz. I can get much higher 4.5ghz at 1.3v but I'm staying under a bit.

Advanced\CPU Configuration\CPU Power Management Configuration
-Enhanced Intel SpeedStep *Disable*
-Turbo mode *Enable*
-CPU C-states *Auto*

Advanced\USB Configuration
-Intel xHCI mode *Enable*
-EHCI Legacy Support *Enable*
-xHCI Hand-off *Enable*
-EHCI Hand-off *Disable*

Advanced\Onboard Devices Configuration
-PCIX16_2 Slot Bandwidth *X4* (this will disable ASMedia USB3.1 for less conflicts)
-Serial Port Configuration *Off*

Boot
-Fast Boot *Disabled*
-CSM (Compatibility Support Module) *Disabled*
-Secure Boot *OS Type as Other OS

Exit
-Save and Reboot. (obviously nothing will boot till we make the bootable OSX /Clover USB)
-----------------------------

Step.3

So we have to make a bootable usb stick. Make sure you have a 8gb or higher usb drive.
You also need to download El Captain on another Mac or Hackintosh from the Apple Store so that its in the Applications folder.
You will be doing all these steps on the same Mac/Hack that you downloaded El Captain from.

1.Plug in your USB stick
2. In spotlight type in: Disk Utility
3.Choose your USB drive from the list on the left
4.Click erase (format as OS X Extended Journaled) Guid Partition Map
5.Name it: USB
6.Click erase

Now in spotlight type: Terminal
7.Type in the following code:
Code:
sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app --no interaction
8.Hit Enter and type your password (you won't see it enter but it will) Then hit enter.
9. Sit back and relax. This creates the El Captain installer on the usb. (Takes about 5-10mins and once its done your usb will be called: Install OS X El Capitan)
10.Now download Clover Installer here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/files/latest/download
11.Open the Clover.pkg
12.Hit continue till you see "Change install location"
13.Make sure to choose the newly created: Install OS X El Capitan USB drive
14.Now click Customize and *only check these selections:
CloverFirstsetup.jpg

15.After this installs you will see that the EFI partition has been created.
------------------------------

Step.4

This is where we will set all the settings that will allow the USB to boot into the El Capitan Installer
16. You need to download and install Clover Configurator here: http://mackie100projects.altervista.org
17. Open Clover Configurator.
18.Then open: EFI \ EFI \ Clover \ config.plist

Now select these settings to properly boot with my exact setup (x99-a usb3.1, gtx980ti, 5820k) . (This is where I did a few things different from Giacomoleopardo's guide because I didn't care about audio since I use usb interface and don't care about onboard audio) If you do care then follow his guide.

clovercon1.jpg

These settings will change once you have OS X installed but in order to get past hangups and errors these work.

clovercon2.jpg

Skip CPU

clovercon3.jpg

Not sure on the GUI. I set the resolution to 1920x1080 and Scan (entries, tool) works for me. The theme doesn't matter.
clovercon4.jpg

Make sure nothing is selected under Graphics.

Ok so, The cool thing with Clover is that it will patch the Kernel for HaswellE and I assume for BroadwellE as well. We don't have to manually do this anymore :D . Make sure to add 0x0306A0 under fakeCPUID (has something to do with simulating Ivy Bridge cpus) You also probably see a bunch of kextsToPatch info in there. Don't worry about that. That is some stuff we will do later in the config.plist. It has to deal with USB issues and Trim support.

clovercon5.jpg

Under Rt Variables this has something to do with iMsg. Make sure to use these settings. Honestly I didn't do much and iMsg just works! Back in the day I really struggled with getting iMsg to work.

clovercon6.jpg

So in SMBIOS make sure to chose MacPro6,1 and shake to generate a serial number. This has to do with system performance because of the architecture. I think this also matters a lot on making sure iMsg works.

clovercon7.jpg

Don't forget to select Inject kext *Yes*

clovercon8.jpg

That should be it. Click save and then quit.
--------------------------

20. Now we need to do some patching in the config.plist. Open the config.plist inside the EFI/EFI/CLOVER folder
with text edit. We need to add these lines of code:
Code:
<key>KextsToPatch</key>
        <array>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>Change 15 Port Limit To 30 in XHCI 10.11 (99-series)</string>
                <key>Disabled</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                g72M/v//EA==
                </data>
                <key>Name</key>
                <string>AppleUSBXHCIPCI</string>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                g72M/v//Gg==
                </data>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>TRIM Enabler</string>
                <key>Disabled</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                AEFQUExFIFNTRAA=
                </data>
                <key>Name</key>
                <string>IOAHCIBlockStorage</string>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA=
                </data>
            </dict>
        </array>

This fixes some issues with USB ports and also adds Trim support for SSD's

21.So now we need to add and remove files in the Driver64UEFI folder.
- Open EFI\EFI\CLOVER\drivers64UEFI folder
-Download my Drivers64UEFI folder here: http://bit.ly/2g0m0YE
-Delete all the files in the Drivers64UEFI folder with the downloaded ones.
Clover has issues with x99 memory to PCIe devices (one of my main issues till I found Giacomoleopardo's guide). Mr Woodhams found two solutions: but the one that works for me is adding Test2-2016.efi along with OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi.

22.Now we need to add the kexts that will be injected to work properly. You can download the ones I used here: http://bit.ly/2fmzqN6

23. Once downloaded copy them into here: EFI\EFI\CLOVER\kext\10.11

24. Now depending on your Cpu you might need to edit some code in the VoodooTSCSync.kext . I did already for 6 core cpu (don't need to do anything if you have a 6core). If you have an 8 core cpu you'll have to change this. Right click VoodooTSCSync.kext \ show contents\ contents \ config.plist open with text edit. from 11 to 15
Code:
<dict>
                <key>IOCPUNumber</key>
                <integer>15</integer>
            </dict>

25. Phew! If you did all that you should be good to go and install OS X.

---------------------------------

Installing OS X El Capitan

1.Restart your computer and hit Delete and choose the UEFI Usb
2.You should be greeted with the clover boot loader. Click on the install OS X icon. This is also where you will type in more of the boot flags if what you selected wasn't correct. You can force different boot commands.
3.Now you'll see a bunch of scrolling text commands while the installer is loading. You shouldn't have any issues but if you do you'll have to trouble shoot.
4. Once in the installer make sure to open disk utility first and format your main drive (the one you're installing OS X onto) as OSX Extended Journaled.
5. Once you do that you'll follow the install process till its done. Mine hung on 0 seconds remaining for like 5 mins but it did finish so if yours does that don't restart your computer. Just be patient.

---------------------------------

Booting OS X and installing Clover Bootloader on your main drive.

1.Once you've booted into OS X and have gone through the main "setting up Mac"
its time to install Clover Bootloader.
2.Open Clover.pkg the same way you did on the usb installer in the beginning.
3.Hit continue till you see "Change install location"
4.Make sure to choose your main drive you just installed OS X onto
5.Now click Customize and *only check these selections:

CloverFirstsetup.jpg

6.After this installs you will see that the EFI partition has been created.
------------------------------

7.Now I could post all the same steps and screen shots but its all basically the same as all the Step 4 (1 to 24) above. Follow along setting up with Clover Config. The only difference is the Boot screen. Make sure to set it like this : Uncheck (-v, nv_disable=1) and just select nada_drv=1 (this will load the main Nvidia driver once you have it installed) Click save and exit.

clovercon9.jpg

You can technically just copy the whole EFI folder from the mounted OSX Usb installer EFI to your main drive EFI folder. Just need to make sure you make the config.plist changes to the boot section above.

8. Now you need to download Nvidia web driver here: http://fave.co/2fCNnaN
9. Install the Nvidia web driver. *Don't close or hit restart!!!!* we need to do some major changes in S/L/E
10. This will only work if you've chosen the MacPro 6,1 System Definition. This patch will fix the black screen after reboot and also fix Missing Frequency Vectors. http://bit.ly/2gHQUcN / http://bit.ly/2gz49vz thanks to PikeRAlpha! The real genius behind a lot of how to get this board to work correctly.
11.We need to go into: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/Contents/Info.plist
and patch with shiloh's script download here: http://bit.ly/2fP9pdk You can read up more on this thread whats going on:http://bit.ly/2g0tw5U

Next

12. Next is a lengthy step but necessary to fix frequency vector issue. (Thanks Giacomoleopardo. I would have never figured this out)
  • Copy IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext from System/Library/Extensions to desktop, then copy it to another location (for backup)
  • Delete IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext from System/Library/Extensions (enter your password)
  • Empty trash
  • Open from Desktop IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/X86PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents and you'll find a lot of .plist files: frequency vectors instruction are stored in some of those files. Mac-F60DEB81FF30ACF6.plist (MacPro 6,1 board id) doesn't have. Mac-27ADBB7B4CEE8E61.plist (iMac 14,2 board id) does have!
  • Copy Mac-27ADBB7B4CEE8E61.plist on desktop, rename it Mac-F60DEB81FF30ACF6.plist, then copy the new named file back into IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/X86PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents replacing the original MacPro 6,1 file which doesn't have proper frequency vectors.
  • *Make sure no other kexts are on desktop besides our modified IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext
  • Run KextBeast, run it and install in System/Library/Extensions
  • Check in System/Library/Extentions. The modified IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext will be there

• *These steps shilohh patch and modifying IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext do not survive System Updates!
13. Now like I said before I didn't care about audio because I have a USB interface. If you want to get on-board audio to work follow https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/giacomoleopardos-workstation-triplet.199643/

If you have followed everything in my walk through and have the same hardware everything should be working! (other than On-board Audio) haha

I currently have my system locked in at 4.3ghz overclock. I don't have CPUcore set to auto with speed steps Because I'm OK running at 4.3ghz since I'm on a full water loop. My temps are always low around 28c idle - 50c Max

Thanks again to all these people for countless hours helping out the Hackintosh community. Without you I would have just gave up. You inspire me.
Tonymac
Giacomoleopardo
PikeRAlpha
Shiloh
Mieze
Nick Woodhams
Stinga11
Brumbaer

Thanks for checking out my Build. If you are bored and want to watch my Water-cooling build log that would be appreciated :)
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjyCoUBxH7MWylcHrONhOr7zozHBZyp5B

Check out the benchmarks and screen shots! I'm pretty impressed because Im basically getting the exact same results as Windows 10 which has never happened when I've made any other hackintosh!

System My ram is correctly being identified as 3200mhz DDR4. The Cpu is showing as a Xeon 3.3ghz even though its running at 4.5ghz as intel power gadget is showing.

Screen+Shot+2016-11-21+at+9.42.50+PM.png

GeekBench4
Screen+Shot+2016-11-21+at+9.41.18+PM.png

Cinebench
Screen+Shot+2016-11-21+at+9.46.31+PM.png

Ram showing correctly
Screen+Shot+2016-11-21+at+9.43.23+PM.png

USB 3 devices plugged in

Screen+Shot+2016-11-21+at+10.59.47+PM.png

I created a 1tb Raid0 Editing drive from 2 - 500gb 850EVO's Here is the speed test.
Screen+Shot+2016-11-22+at+11.13.59+AM.png

Proof iMessage works.
Screen+Shot+2016-11-22+at+12.31.10+PM.png

More System build pics :p
DSC01264.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

DSC01267.jpg

2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Will this build work if I follow all the instructions and same parts but only using one ordinary cooler like Noctua?

Will this build work if I follow all the instructions and same parts but only using one ordinary cooler like Noctua?
Yeah for sure! I only did a full custom watercooled system as a project and something to do during the winter early this year. You can use any fans. Cooling has nothing to do with hacktintoshing really....Again I stressed a few times I never took the time to get audio to work but there are other guides out there. You just have to do that in post installation.

Are steps work with the macOS Sierra
Do you work with steps my PC :
- gigabyt gameing g1wifi x99
-GTX 970
- Samsung SSD 250 G

Yeah for sure! I only did a full custom watercooled system as a project and something to do during the winter early this year. You can use any fans. Cooling has nothing to do with hacktintoshing really....Again I stressed a few times I never took the time to get audio to work but there are other guides out there. You just have to do that in post installation.

Thanks! and for the great guide too! I'll definitely be looking to buy the parts for this builld!

After you install the problem definition graphics card

Attachments

• Screen Shot 1438-02-23 at 2.47.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 1438-02-23 at 2.47.53 PM.png
    125.1 KB · Views: 340
Really helpful thank you! I had my x99 build for almost a year now but it has been so buggy lately so I decided to do a fresh setup based off of this (my MB and CPU are the same). I'm noticing 2 things, if I update to 10.11.6 the nvidia drivers will not work (even state on the nvidia site 6,1 is not supported). Another thing is USB 3. Before starting fresh I had to plug in USB 3 AFTER the OSX booted for the drive to read, now it doesn't seem to notice USB 3 at all. Would love any thoughts on this. Thanks again for the right up!

Really helpful thank you! I had my x99 build for almost a year now but it has been so buggy lately so I decided to do a fresh setup based off of this (my MB and CPU are the same). I'm noticing 2 things, if I update to 10.11.6 the nvidia drivers will not work (even state on the nvidia site 6,1 is not supported). Another thing is USB 3. Before starting fresh I had to plug in USB 3 AFTER the OSX booted for the drive to read, now it doesn't seem to notice USB 3 at all. Would love any thoughts on this. Thanks again for the right up!

Did you download this nvidia driver? http://fave.co/2fCNnaN it's the one that worked for me. I also had usb issues as well. Currently they all work except the 3.1 ports. Did you follow step 20? Thats the code that got all my ports working. Before that only 2 worked.

I have a different motherboard than you but as far as the video card I have an nVidia GeForce 980ti which I got to work good but no acceleration what so ever, hopefully the trick you did will help me achieve the 135fps you got on yours.

Cheers!!!! I'm going to try this guide and go from there.

Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back