Contribute
Register

Custom system (mid-range)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I returned it at Staples and picked up an actual WN311B from Best Buy. I was able to successfully get 10.6 installed, so I'd say this was a successful build. Now to get it upgraded to 10.6.4....

Thanks for your help and feedback!

No problem! :thumbup:

I upgraded to 10.6.4 and ran multibeast (following the steps found in various threads). After reboot, I had no video. I found this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... linearplus

Thanks for the information, although I'm pretty sure the 9800 GT should have worked OOB. But maybe in an update Apple lost support for it because it's a bit old..

So far my only hiccup has been getting a network card working. I'm set on getting this WN311B going though....

Good luck with your wireless!

jimx86 said:
Thanks for the information, although I'm pretty sure the 9800 GT should have worked OOB. But maybe in an update Apple lost support for it because it's a bit old..

I switched to the GTS 250 at the last minute. I had it working at one point, then after the 10.6.4 upgrade I lost it again.

The WN311B works fine now. I've had it drop a signal occasionally so far, but it might be because I didn't place the antenna anywhere yet (just lying on the desk). Of course, I'm only about 20' from my router, with one wall (not even a "real" wall) between the router and card...

jayco437 said:
I switched to the GTS 250 at the last minute. I had it working at one point, then after the 10.6.4 upgrade I lost it again.

Ah, even then, I'm surprised that Apple dropped support for the GTS 250, it used to be the best card they had native support for.

The WN311B works fine now. I've had it drop a signal occasionally so far, but it might be because I didn't place the antenna anywhere yet (just lying on the desk). Of course, I'm only about 20' from my router, with one wall (not even a "real" wall) between the router and card...

You know, it may just be a faulty card. If you have the time, you could test your whole rig in Windows 7, and if the card works perfectly then you know it's just OS X.

Looks like everything is coming together for you ! Fantastic !

Any performance comparason with p55 series.

I guess you have a good running system so i'm sorta leaning towards x58 now..

but my questions were if we are using 100% of the CPU, and triple chennel Ram . which is benefits of x58.

also if it is stable looks like x58 is way to go, as I would love to have usb3 for future.

usb3 CF card reader with my 600x memories mmmmmmmm.

ksj602 said:
but my questions were if we are using 100% of the CPU, and triple chennel Ram . which is benefits of x58.

Well, your system will only use as much CPU load as you need. If all you're doing is browsing the web, then you're not going to use 100% of a quad-core processor. And the triple channel RAM will be used no matter what. It's stored in a parallel fashion so data can be retrieved quickly.

also if it is stable looks like x58 is way to go, as I would love to have usb3 for future.

I think X58 is pretty stable for Snow Leopard as it's very similar to P55, but the only problem is that this is a P55 site, and if you run into trouble there will be less people to go to for help. You can always use other sites along with this one for help, though.

usb3 CF card reader with my 600x memories mmmmmmmm.

Um.. Not really sure what you mean here. 600x memories :eek: ?

ksj602 said:
Any performance comparason with p55 series.

I guess you have a good running system so i'm sorta leaning towards x58 now..

If you tell me what programs I need to run, I'll try and run them for comparison. I'm not sure what I can do to check the 100% CPU/RAM. I do know that I compiled ruby the other day and it was done in what seemed like a minute. It was noticeably faster than my MacPro Core2Duo (as it should be) which took quite a long time and got the laptop overheated..

I swapped the GTS 250 out for a Radeon HD 4650. I did run Cinebench and Geekbench--the results should be in my profile.

The only issues so far I've had are sound, which I think is fixable (I just didn't install the kext because I have no speakers). I haven't tried messing with sleep yet but I know others have got it working. And my network keeps dropping but I'm not sure it's a hackintosh issue...

Just a quick update:

I reinstalled the kexts to fix the sound and I think it works now (still no speakers, but the volume slider isn't greyed out now)

Netgear WN311B = crap. From what I'm reading it doesn't seem to be able to connect to a 5ghz network. I'm having crazy dropping issues which are related to my magic mouth (disabling the mouse and running a wired mouse stops the dropping) and I'm unable to switch over to 5ghz to see if that will fix it. I have an adapter coming so I'll try and take my Macbook Pro airport card out and build my own wifi card. The card I have is slightly bent (dropped the computer) so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Sleep works like a champ. Wakes up with a keyboard press.

Overall, once I got the DSDT and the right kexts, it's worked like a champ. One panic screen so far, but I was compiling Chromium at the time. Everything was fine after the reboot.

jayco437 said:
Took me a while, but I've got the OS X install screen loading right now so I think I'm almost home.
Once I got that all figured out, I popped out a stick of RAM and used this guide: http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=931

I'm about to do a build using a GA-X58A-UD3R Revision 2 board. Can you confirm that the DSDT you used is the one from the guide you linked to (http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=931) for the Rev 1.0 board? I haven't been able to find a DSDT specifically for the Rev 2.0 UD3R anywhere.

Also, any other pointers appreciated. Thanks.

calluml said:
I'm about to do a build using a GA-X58A-UD3R Revision 2 board. Can you confirm that the DSDT you used is the one from the guide you linked to (http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=931) for the Rev 1.0 board? I haven't been able to find a DSDT specifically for the Rev 2.0 UD3R anywhere.

Also, any other pointers appreciated. Thanks.

I used the DSDT from here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=220199

That's a Rev 2.0 specific thread. The DSDT works like a champ, sleep and all. The only thing that may have changed from my posts on this forum is:

1) I gave up on the GTS 250 in favor of an ATI 4650
2) I used multibeast for the update to 10.6.4. IIRC, I followed the instructions from nullspot for the install and upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back