Contribute
Register

Custom SSD Icons

Nice. Thanks!

When I get home from work tonight I'll post my photoshop template so anyone that wants to make a custom icon for a specific drive can. I'll also see if I can knock out some requested drive varieties myself.

Here's the Photoshop template: LINK

Contains the base generic SSD image (I take no credit for it, just a nice image I found on the web and manipulated a little.) Photoshop Image/Adjustments/Hue Saturation you can make it any shade or color you want, I just marquee tool/deselect the yellow connector portion when doing so.

Works best if you find a nice top-down, fairly high-res image of the SSD you want. For example:

http://cdn-static.zdnet.com/i/story/70/00/007034/samsung-840-pro-ssd-solid-state-drive.jpg

Copy into Photoshop, delete the white space and paste over the generic template.

screenshot20130326at104.png

Works well enough to use Edit/Transform/Distort tool to fake-3D the image into place by the 4 corners.

Save As .png from Photoshop, which preserves transparency and drop shadow.

I then use Img2icns to generate an icon file from the png image. There's probably better ways to do all of this, but whatever works.

It'll be great to have a TonyMac collection of OSX icons for most SSD types.

Do you guys know how to change my windows 8 drive icon? I have tried and it just beeps and stays the same when I try

Thanks!
NTFS formatted drives are a little tricky, but it will actually work. The beep in OSX is just no write permissions. (Should work if you have an NTFS driver installed like Paragon)

Otherwise, there's this trick:

1. Use a USB stick or other drive with a FAT file system.

2. Copy/Paste the icon to the FAT drive with the usual 'get info' business.

3. Boot Windows, and temporarily set the OS to 'Show Hidden Files and Folders'.

4. Find the icon files: .VolumeIcon.icns and ._ on the FAT drive and copy them to the root of the NTFS drive.

5. Return Hidden Files and Folders to hidden again

So long as those files are present, when in OSX you'll see the drive's custom icon.

I made a OCZ Vertex3 version if some one uses this SSD.
Thanks to "zaptoons" for creating Awesome Icons and providing a Photoshop file to create new once~~!!

Attachments

• OCZ Vertex3.icns.zip
    872.7 KB · Views: 560
Back