Contribute
Register

Custom SSD Icons

Smashing to look at with an array of network drives. Many thanks for the hard work. Just one little teeny weeny question....
Whilst the icons show up fine on the host machine, not all of them show up on connected machines. They appear as a shared drive icon instead? Intrestingly both of the ones that don't show are boot drives for old MacBooks with patched Catalina installs. Any thoughts?

Here are a bunch of HDD images, in .png format, for the versions of macOS from Snow Leopard to Monterey.

I didn't create them, Big Sur and Monterey images were provided curtesy of @Middleman

I forget what icon site they're hosted on (if you know, please point!), but these are what I've grabbed before. I read that Apple changed to the abstract art with Monterey, but the previous style was so awesome. Have you guys seen any icons/wallpapers that more resemble the previous ones for Monterey and the upcoming OS?

Yeah! It's for any brand !

These NVME images might be of interest. A pair of the WD icons look like this on my desktop

Screenshot 2023-02-10 at 17.45.24.png Horizontal icons

To use these icons.
Right-click the NVME drive, select 'Get Info'
Drag and drop the selected icon on to the top icon on the Get Info window.
Should automatically change the default icon (Windows 11) to your preferred NVMe icon.

The images can be rotated to have them show vertically if you prefer.

Screenshot 2023-02-10 at 17.50.28.png Vertical & Horizontal icon
Crucial P3.png

Crucial P5 Plus.png

Integral M2 series.png

Kingston NVME 1.png

Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB.png

WD Black SN750 + Heatsink.png

WD Black SN770 1.png

WD Black SN770 2.png
WD Black SN770 3.png
WD Black SN850.png

WD Blue SN570 1TB .png

WD Blue SN570 500GB.png

WD Green SN350 1TB.png

These NVME images might be of interest. A pair of the WD icons look like this on my desktop
Thanks but I was specifically after the SN750 Black as that's what I've got in my machine!

I'm already using the Corsair MX200 icon made by @spackley for my MX500 (they look exactly the same) and have the WD Blue 1TB made by @Robbieboy.43 for my backup disc, so I decided to make my own.

The link to the template made by @zaptoons no longer works, so I found a decent image, used photopea.com to save it as a 300dpi 1024 x 1024 png file (you don't need Photoshop!), then used these instructions to make the iconset.

Having reread the thread I think it might have been easier to use image2icon as @zaptoons did as I presume that automatically creates all of the different file sizes, but it wasn't too much work.

Anyway the resulting icon is attached in a ZIP, I hope it's useful for you too @honluong

Unfortunately I want to use it for my Windows drive which is NTFS formatted, so I can't drag it to the icon using get info (as I can't write to the disc), and I've tried putting the .icns file in the root from Windows, which a cursory Google suggested would work, but it doesn't. So if anyone knows how to make that work that I'd appreciate it.

Attachments

You need to have the NTFS drive mounted in read/write mode to change the icon.

Using something like Paragon NTFS for Mac. Even if you only use it in trial mode should work.

You need to have the NTFS drive mounted in read/write mode to change the icon.

Using something like Paragon NTFS for Mac. Even if you only use it in trial mode should work.
Thanks for the recommendation, I'd figured that but tried to use Iboysoft NTFS which I would definitely not recommend - it left my NTFS drive unmountable and a bit of a mess I had to get busy in terminal to fix it.

Paragon did the job well and also comes with an uninstaller.

I wasn't happy with my previous version of the icon so I've put together a new one using one of the Samsung icons @jdizzle put together as a template. It's not technically correct, but it looks much better!

image2icon is a great piece of software by the way, makes the job a lot easier.

WD Black SN750 v2 14.42.02.png

Attachments

• WD Black SN750 v2.icns.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 60
Back